2013 rule changes published - discussion of 2013 Outdoor rules

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by redumpire, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Offline

redumpire FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Moderator's note: The announced changes affect Outdoor and Indoor hockey. There has been particularly lively discussion of the 'hand on floor' change for Indoor, which now has its own thread in The Indoor Umpiring Corner. Discussion of the Outdoor rule changes continues below.
    Diligent 3-Jul-12

FIH have published advanced notice of the proposed changes to the rules for 2013.

Here they are (original document here):

NB. This is advance notice only. The final version of the new rules, with the exact wording of the changes, has not yet been published. It is expected in September 2012. However, I'm sure that there will be no other significant changes made between now and then.
  2. Offline

Trig FHF Star Player

Message Count:
    WOW!!

I like the lift at a free hit.

I'm not sure the players will like the indoor change with no hands on the floor tho!!!
  3. Offline

animal FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Here we go again!
  4. Offline

phrack FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    Own goals will be annoying at lower levels, where there are far more mistraps/miscommuncations with players/GK.

Dislike being able to lift straight from the free hit. Just gives defenses an easy way out, and at high levels where there are 70-80yd aerial capabilities...
  5. Offline

Gilly FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    I suspect the 'own goal' will cure more evils than it causes. I can't recall one incident from last season that would have resulted in a goal under the new proposals but I vividly remember an occasion 7 years ago when I had to diasallow a 'significant' goal in the English Premier League because I could not be certain whose stick (attacker and defender's sticks both clashing at the point of contact with the ball) the ball had come off.

And, let's face it, if your tactic of choice is a 70-80yd aerial you will not (do not deserve to be) playing "high level" hockey for long.
  6. Offline

Hockeyfish FHF Legend

Message Count:
    With the rules only being published in September, that's going to make it pretty hard for domestic competitions that start that month (but will finish after the official introduction in January 2013) to make use of them. Certainly won't help the 'trickle down'.

FWIW I like most of the new rules set out above.

I've never thought it fair that indoors defenders can disguise three points of contact with the stick holding hand. With this new rule it makes tackling more of a skill.

Conversely, I expect the own goal rule might make for messy/dangerous hockey especially at lower levels.
  7. Offline

phrack FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    Seriously? You can't see how having a team member able to throw a 70-80yd uncontested aerial is going to change the way the game is played? 1-2mins to go they can throw the ball uncontested to the other end of the pitch, then setup to defend, winding down the clock?

It almost removes the ability to high court press and get turnovers high up the pitch. Sure you might still get turnovers but if they're back at your own 25, it's not nearly as rewarding.

I never said it would become the go-to tactic and that's all they a team will do. But I think it will have a big effect on higher level hockey.
  8. Offline

CardHappy FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    Lets be honest, the fact that an aerial can be contested hardly ever matters. They somehow find a way to get the ball away safely, the majority of times. And why shouldn't a defence have an easy way out if they have a free hit? If you don't want to give them an easy way out.. don't foul them..
  9. Offline

FastForward24 FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    Lifted ball from free hit - Like this alot and I reckon there will be less danger i.e. with the attacker not being able to close down the lifted ball. If we're honest anyone could lift the ball from a free hit now, as long as they moved the ball 1 metre. However this just created danger.

Own Goal - Not a fan of this but can't see it affecting that many games. Only issue I can see happening now is the ball being fired into the D by the attacking side looking for any touch towards goal which could possibly create danger.

Hand on the stick not allowed on the floor for Indoor Hockey - Completely ridiculous and is going to ruin the indoor game as we know it. There will be more danger with ball being fired through players and it doesn't teach new/junior players to the Indoor game the correct hockey practises.
  10. Offline

Nij FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    FIH do say in the quoted passages that they will be keeping a close monitor on the "own goal" rule, and review as soon as necessary. I would hope that if it does turn out to be making the game abnormally different (by which I mean, changing the way in which we build plays so as to be less distinguishable from other sports where a long-range shot is an option, and one taken often at that, completely defying the point of a close shooting circle and the associated playmaking and skill development required) that the FIH will revert to having the rule as established for yonks: attacker's stick inside the circle, anything else is just an outline ball.
    I would say that, if you're getting situations where it's not sure who did what, as in this case who has actually touched the ball, then you do the same as we always have. BOTD goes to the defence, or as one local Prems umpire said the other day: when in doubt, stick your left hand out.

The "direct aerial from FH" is a good change, I think.
    Teams who commonly use the aerial ball should not be punished for wanting to convert a good turnover into an attack -- if they'd made a tackle in open play and the nearest opponent was five-plus metres away, the aerial ball is an option, but with FHD it currently isn't -- why would we punish the defenders as much as the attackers when only the attacker has done something wrong, if in any other situation they'd do the same thing? It allows such teams to use all of their options from a free hit, and this cannot be a bad thing if we want to encourage full-field thinking that allows for strong counters and end-to-end playmaking.
    And if your team or your common opponents don't use the long aerial from free hits often enough to make this rule relevant, then why will this matter to you? Those who can use the long aerial at international level, will damn well use it; think India or Pakistan of recent decades. Those who don't want or cannot use it, shouldn't be using the rules as a cheap back door to disadvantage other teams -- imagine what some teams would say if we introduced the offside rule again, to prevent attackers from hanging up front for a fast counter and favour those who work from a strong defensive base to build their goals as a team?
    Such a skill, if done well, should be encouraged at times which are suited for it, not flatly denied from those talented enough to manage it; if somebody throws the ball up in a dangerous way, there is still ample support in the rules for an umpire to penalise them when they do it wrong, and we can now allow the players who do it safely to carry on with making hockey a fast-paced game.

IMO, if you're letting somebody make a 70-80 metre overhead that leads to a strong attack, the problem is not with the team choosing to overhead: it's with your shitty defence that can't mark floating attackers! Countless discussions here alone have lead to the same conclusion. A landing overhead can always be made safe if the attacker retreats from the landing zone, so your fullback just needs to step up and defend.
  11. Offline

uoy_mert FHF Newbie

Message Count:
    "Rules 13.2.f and g: as a consequence of the changes above, these Rules have been deleted. "

Does that mean no more self-pass?
  12. Offline

Justin FHF Legend

Message Count:
    It's interesting that the direct lift, along with the self-pass, were changes proposed MANY years ago by the much-reviled Martin Conlon (Conundrum) :p

Give it a bit of time and maybe we'll see the 'shielding' rule applied according to the book, and a limitation on the height of PC (high-speed) DFs to 'elbow height' (c120cm) :rolleyes:
  13. Offline

jaduong FHF Legend

Message Count:
    why would they want to limit the height of drags?
  14. Offline

duncedunce FHF Starter

Message Count:
    I personally read that as removing the requirement for 2 separate actions (which will put a lot more importance on being clear about when the restart has been taken) in 13.2.f, and the ball moving 1m before a 2nd player of the same team plays it in 13.2.g. I didn't read it as making a change to being able to pass to yourself, as even after these proposals the rules will still not have a requirement for the restart to have to be touched next by a different player. Therefore self-passing is allowed.

Given that this seems to refer to the proposal to allow an aerial from a dead ball restart, I'm not sure about these (potentially) being removed 'as a consequence' of the changes, though:
    • It is not much of an aerial if it travels less than 1m before next being played!
    • Similarly, it would be quite difficult to make the subsequent play after an aerial anything other than a separate action, surely?
    To me, these changes would only impact a restart that wasn't an aerial. Not that I mind them, but to say, 'as a consequence of' seems misleading to me.

I agree on the increased opportunity to play and hopefully reduced danger by removing the opportunity to close down, but I didn't think the player had to move the ball a metre first? I thought that currently the person restarting could (attempt an) aerial legitimately (subject to danger of course) on the second separate action from the self pass, the first action might just be to roll it back 15cm or less.

Edit: typos and clarifying the last phrase.
  15. Offline

redumpire FHF Legend

Message Count:
    No. I'm not sure why you think it would?

Here's how I think the new rule 13.2 will look after the changes, assuming that there are no further "points of clarification" to be included within the revised rule:

16. Offline

Hacker FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    So if we remove (g) then there is no requirement for the ball to move 1m before being played by a member of the same team? Not sure if that will have any real effect in a game (<tries to think through a few practical scenarios>). It will mean one less umpiring task to worry about!

I don't play indoors any more and only occasionally umpire it; I too don't understand the logic of the hand on the floor change. Like others have said if an attacker drills then penalise (all the way upto cards); so can't see a safety argument here.
  17. Offline

Justin FHF Legend

Message Count:
    To reduce the likelihood of defenders' taking high-speed hits in the chest, neck or head, pretty much the most 'vital' areas of the body.
  18. Offline

Nij FHF Top Player

Message Count:
    There's a solution available that 90% of defenders use already.

Get out of the way of the ball.
  19. Offline

mosley59 FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    I read this the first time and immediately thought "oh s***, how many FHs am I going to have to give for a hand on the pitch?!". Then I reread and realised it was indoor rules, whew.

I like the own goal and raised ball rules, I think the raised ball will increase safety (which I see all too often at the level I umpire) with players currently touching the ball, then putting up an aerial that passes close to (but not dangerously so) an advancing defender. All it takes is one mis-placed aerial and suddenly someone's missing teeth, so this direct aerial is, IMO, safer. And as others mention, it will likely change tactics too, which is always interesting. Regarding own goal, I think this will make for more skillful and intelligent defending/GKing, especially at lower levels, with players having to choose whether or not they play at the ball or not - currently they can play sloppily at a ball going wide, then all they get is a long corner if it goes in the goal. It'll also teach younger GKs to get their legs out of the way properly - I see a lot where they 'leave' the ball by stepping over it, but get a touch off the leg guard, which wouldn't have happened if they'd been less showy and simply stepped aside to let it pass.

Regarding the deletion of 13.2f, I think this is good - as umpires I find that we can be quite inconsistent here in NZ about when a FH has been taken and what counts as '2 separate motions'. If we are stricter about the ball being stopped or stationary, and the area in which it is taken, then we can dispense with the requirement for 2 motions (which as I understand it was only in there to make it clear when the FH was taken). With the creation of the FH, 13.2g became kind of obsolete (only situation I can think of is a player tapping the ball 6 inches inside the 23, and his attacking team mate running in and drilling it into the D) so I think removing this is a good move since it's hardly ever seen now.
  20. Offline

redumpire FHF Legend

Message Count:
    OK can we leave this now please? The thread is about the new rules that are actually being introduced in 2013, and I would have thought that they contained plenty of material for discussion.

If you want to discuss raised shots at goal (again) please start a separate thread on the subject. Thank you.