2014 Annual CalCup Tournament-Hockey in California..seriously !!!

Discussion in 'United States' started by MarinFHC, Jan 7, 2014.

1. MarinFHC

MarinFHC FHF Newbie

2. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

Looking at the schedule, i see Women's Super games starting at 6:45am... wow!!

3. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Having played in it back in ......... 6:45am is a very sensible time to start!

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

It's a miserable draw to get that 6:45am game. Been there, done that, will likely get one or two again this year...

Any other FHFers going?

5. thefloppy1

thefloppy1 FHF Starter

Yes, I am there. I have to coach, Play (super Div) and I have to coach that game at 6:45am where am I going to find decent espresso at that time of the day.
    Playing with the HFS sport team, coaching the Womens HFS Sport team.

Oh and I agreed to also Umpire.....

think I will be spread pretty thin on the ground.

Will send some Twitter stuffs when I have time there...

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

Make sure you come introduce yourself, it's always nice to put real names and faces to pseudonyms and blank avatars. ;)

7. thefloppy1

thefloppy1 FHF Starter

You will know me, as I will be the Aussie half a sleep on the side line.....

It should be fun..

keely likes this.
  8. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

dunno if it is decent, but the gas station up the road tends to have coffee...and vats of purple and green things masquerading as electrolyte drinks. not to mention cheetos. you must eat cheetos. pretty sure it is open early enough if i remember correctly.

9. thefloppy1

thefloppy1 FHF Starter

Am pretty sure we are talking about different coffee Jaduong. Been over here in the US for 18 months, I have found only one place to do a good espresso.. Remembering that the coffee culture here in the US is much different to Aus.

10. keely

keely FHF Legend

Who's got two thumbs and drew the 6:45am game on the first day of the tournament? *THIS GIRL*

11. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

Awww. Poor you keely. i'm sure you'll be a legend and not touch a drop of grog the night before.

thefloppy1..yep..i wouldn't drink it either, normally, but when in Rome..

12. thefloppy1

thefloppy1 FHF Starter

jaduong when in rome I get good coffee..... Was seriously tired when we got to the 6:45am game. No amount of redbull helped, and with my Wife playing in that game as the GK and me coaching our poor 3 year old was none to happy, she really wanted to play as well....

So that was my first Calcup. I have some observations.
    We had Keely umpire twice in the women's games.
    The First game at 6:45am, I had only one question on why something was called, the third Umpire told me what it was for, and it was all good. The Girls on the field told me they had great communication from both umpires, and I really thought that as a coach we were in for a great weekend. Umpiring at 6:45am on Friday was fantastic. All the players really enjoyed the game, had no questions for me, even the highschool girls that we had on the team started asking me if we can pay extra to get this sort of umpiring for the Highschool down here in SD. (I really am considering that as well). We went down lots to nothing, but not a complaint from any player, only how much they liked the Umpires.

But then as a player, I think I had the worse experiences. the first game of the mens games was 11am, and we had some two umpires that never engaged with the players, (we had both umpires with different partners in other games, one improved one didn't). We did get lucky however, when we played the JDH team, we got an Aussie Umpire (James Stewart) we had an Aussie on each side and an Aussie Umpire the Banter was quite funny when we were all on the field together.

I got to see a couple of really good younger Male Umps get a go at Super Div as well I thought they have a real future as an Umpire. It good to see all the support and coaching they got through the weekend. The Umpires manager Tony Morales was great as well, as a player I had a couple of concerns after a game. It was really nice to see we had that opportunity as a player or a coach to raise concerns and to get feedback.

As an Umpire (yeah wore a lot of hats), I got to umpire with a Local SD umpire we work well together, and it was a really fun game in the Competitive Women's Comp. I also got to too work with two East Coast Umpires, I really like those umpires as well, none of the games were overly hard to umpire, and I was really disappointed I actually had to use a card in competitive women's to a player that insisted to swear at me, complaining about something the other team was doing when she was doing it her self. None of the games were overly hard or fast, all on the football fields, that have rubber pellets as the fill. I would have loved a U21 game or Super game, to actually have to work.

So the experiences were pretty positive, the two biggest downers were being put on the Rubber fill for a Super div game for placings. that was poor. The last is something that came up with after one of the girls games where I talked with the umpires about somethings that was called, I didn't understand why the calls went the way they did, one ump was US and the other was a Canadian. after that discussion I had to catch up with a few of the other Aussies floating around at CalCup at all different levels, one was playing Supers and coaching supers as well, a couple in Social comps, and in Competitive Comps. The consensus is that alot US umpires just have excuses, and are never willing to talk about it or explain why they did things, they use words like Perception, interpretation, etc.
    As a Coach or player this is terrible, as we play or coach to the Rules as Written (RAW) and I got the same words from the two umpires, I had to just walk away, as a coach I adjust to the umpires, if they are looking or don't like a certain things I like to know, (as an Umpire I am happy to talk to a player or coach just to give that feedback so we are all of the same understanding) If I know I can adjust, otherwise I am doing a disservice to the team, umpires and the game it's self. Unfortunately, this will filter back to Aus as people tend to only remember the bad, and this is not true for all Umpires, certainly was not for the umpires I worked with, but I did experience it at a high level, which is disappointing. (Maybe Keely and I can have a chat off line about it later).

I had 4 Highschool players in my team, two had never seen a real hockey ground before, both got so much better(Both Softmores (grade 10 for the rest of the world). The other two played most games all the way though. So for a coach it was really good to see that growth.

Cheers

13. garli

garli FHF Staff

Too late for this year but if you can stand Starbucks (I can't) there's one right behind the gas station, and it's open early enough for the 6:45 game.

14. Rallybug

Rallybug FHF Starter

It might be interesting to take part one year, but as we can barely get 6 some Sundays for a pick-up game here in Salt Lake City (most I've seen since joining the club in the Spring was 14 playing), I doubt we'd be able to enter a team :D

15. garli

garli FHF Staff

There's always teams looking for players and players looking for teams at Calcup. If you want to go, post about it closer to May and I can get you in touch with some people.

16. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

or just signup to the forum for the comp

http://calcup.forumchitchat.com/

start a thread to advertise you're looking for a team!

actually looking at it it's making me want to go again....