Advice on new body armour.

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by GK13, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Archers are even more anal, due to weight differences being critical to the overall results. When I was competitive, I weighed all my arrow shafts and points in grains (I may have weighed the nocks as well, but can't remember), my strings, we measured arrow speed and were picky about getting matched sets of arrows. Some guy put together a table of all the weights of all commercially available Olympic style bow handles from the 90s/00s.
    There is a place in Germany called the Beiter Centre where they have an archery range with highspeed cameras set up all the way down so you can analyse your technique and arrow flight.

I think any sport that requires any kind of equipment will attract those who will be meticulous about these things.

2. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Ok - that's an area I didn't know, but there are climbers who cut off the handle of their toothbrush to save weight, where just leaving it behind would have been better.

3. MunchkinGK

Resurrecting this thread, as Gilmour have a sale on again and the Mercian BA is at £80 again. However, I can't find any size chart, and am not sure whether to get small or extra small o_O
    Anyone have a link or info?

4. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

I don't have a size chart but they are very generous with their sizing.
    I am a size 14, probably at the upper end of it and wear a Mercian medium, which if it was any bigger would be too big. I have the elastic done up as tight as it will go and in truth it could do with being tighter.

5. MunchkinGK

Hmmm. Someone else has said they're a 36in chest and has a small. Maybe xs is it then...

6. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

I think Total Hockey have a size guide.

Just treated myself to a bright pink Mercian from Gilmour's sale :)

7. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

I have to say I'm made up with the Mercian BA that I've been wearing for the last half of this season.

I was worried when people said it gets warm, that it'd be very bulky. That's not the case at all; it's really light and flexible. It does get hot, though I've found that you can alleviate that a bit, by removing the extra padding they give you for the stomach area.

If I had one criticism, it'd be that the bicep guards aren't removable*; nothing that can't be DIY'd with some Velcro and a needle and thread, though.

Considering it's less than half the price of the ROBO BA, it's a steal.

*well, they are, but only once, if you know what I mean.

8. MunchkinGK

Thanks Adam. Found it (had to go to the desktop site though!). Looks like I do need an XS :eek:

9. Beardymanbristol

I find the whole size thing very confusing. My first BA was a large Robo. It was a bit long and, being inflexible, a bit restrictive. Bought a medium, massively too short. Took loads of stingers to some exposed bits (luckily my athlete's diet has kept these bits well padded). Ok then, time to switch back to large. Got the large Mercian and it's spot on, but I'm a bit of a short arse (5' 7") so have no idea how a taller person would find it fits right. Maybe I'm just odd?

10. Beardymanbristol

I got mine for a mega bargain from the Gilmour sale - £45! I haven't played in it yet, but I have been wearing out round the house and love it so far.

11. MunchkinGK

I've only ever worn slazenger large ba (club) and Obo cloud small ba (ebay). I have to say the cloud ba fits well, but I find it too short in the body and I find I have to pull it down a lot during training and matches so that my middle isn't exposed. Either that or my shorts don't come high enough...

Do you think you can take a photo of the two of your's side by side?

#51 MunchkinGK, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  12. Beardymanbristol

Photo here: https://goo.gl/photos/Li69GyUCTRGsnDQr6
    I tried to line up the inside of the top of the shoulders to compare as best as possible how they sit when being worn. The significant bit for me is how much extra side protection there is at the bottom of the Mercian (not sure how much that is to do with size as opposed to design).

To compare to your cloud BA, the measurement from the collar down to the bottom is 47cm. This was measured with the BA lying on the table so doesn't take into account how it sits when worn.

I won't be using my Robo any more so you're welcome to try it.

13. MunchkinGK

Thanks. So actually the Mercian is longer in the body?

I don't think I need to try the Robo ;) it'll probably be a bit big!

14. Beardymanbristol

Yeah, quite a bit so. It would be good to get someone with a Robo Large to compare to my medium.

Just thought you might want to compare small to medium as I was surprised at how much difference there was between L and M. I have also had to keep pulling it down in games and got fed up doing it. Luckily this coincided with the nice people at Gilmour doing their epic goalie sale :D

15. MunchkinGK

This is interesting, as we're quite different body shapes, but have the same problem with the same product. Possibly a design flaw?

Perhaps on one of your Fortitude days we should all lay out our BA to compare...

16. Beardymanbristol

Definitely Obo's fault. Blame absolutely cannot lie with me and my love of pies :)
    I'll try to remember to bring both BAs, along with some calibrated scales, a micrometer, thermometer and whatever else we can think of to compare kit (maybe a friction tester to work out who makes the slidiest leg guards).

MunchkinGK likes this.
  17. MunchkinGK

What kind of scales? The problem with top loading scales is that they need to be re-calibrated every time you move them...

18. Beardymanbristol

I can get a load cell, but that would involve also bringing a crane and the accuracy is +/- 3kg, so maybe not so useful. Maybe some old fashioned balance scales and we nip to France to get The Kilogramme?

19. MunchkinGK

Ideally as we seem to be measuring to the nearest gram, scales ought to be calibrated to the nearest 100micrograms. Or, as you say, we can use balance scales but I'm not sure how many weights I can get hold of!

20. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    That would be Halfords' silicon spray... ;)

Beardymanbristol likes this.