African Olympic Qualifiers 2010 - EL

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by RoMaN, Apr 21, 2010.

1. RoMaN

RoMaN FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Grays GX8000 TT
    East London recently hosted the Africa Youth Olympic Qualifier at the Kat Leisure Park astro turf... and wow, what a treat!!

The talent of our young South African players are amazing! Makes me proud to support SA hockey through and through.

East London's hockey is still a growing community, but those committed to the game and truly passionate about it stick together. It showed during these games. We are a community that supports one another... Lot's of school hockey teams asked their coaches to skip practise and rather go and watch . With little to no real advertising of the event, apart from a few posters in selected hockey clubs, I couldn't believe the masses that turned up! Made me super prOUD! :yes: Those 2 weeks of games made me realise how amazing the game of hockey is and how amazing it is to be a part of such a supporting community of players and teammates.

SA hockey is growing in strength... and I'm LOVING it!! lol

2. MidLink SA

MidLink SA FHF Newbie

Im a hockey player in gauteng, but i dont know where to go to try out for provincial, can you please direct me and help me to reach my dream? Please

3. RoMaN

RoMaN FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Grays GX8000 TT
    Hi MidLink SA

Do you play schools hockey or are you playing for a club? I would recommend you talk to your coach about wanting to try out. Otherwise, try and contact your local Provincial hockey representative. Also, try looking on the internet... you'll find that most provinces have a website for their teams with all the information you may need.

Every province is different and every year trials time and dates are different. Your provincial clubs usually contact all clubs and schools about trials. I'm afraid though that trials happen very early in the year, and you may have missed it for this year. :boring: But don't be discouraged... have a chat with your coach, and make sure you work extra hard this year, then next year... you will ROCK even more at trials! :yes:

Best of luck to you!! Hope you get to reach your dream and that this helped a little... ;)

4. MidLink SA

MidLink SA FHF Newbie

Tnx allot!!!

I apreciate it, i play club and school, but i will train extra hard for next years trials! tnx allot, again, haha, enjoy the season! haha, hockey isnt a game, its a way of life! lol

5. MAGGID

MAGGID FHF Starter

Hello!!

i was at the event , with Egypt team
    it was fantastic hosting which will never forget
    and hosting is not less than what i have seen in bigger tournaments

Best Regards
    Maggid

6. RobJ

RobJ FHF Top Player

RoMaN, do you have any pictures? And when I was in East London, the Kat Leisure Park was known as the Bunkers Hill (all 4 were grass fields) and Buffalo Flats astro did not exist!!!

7. RoMaN

RoMaN FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Grays GX8000 TT
    @ MAGGID - Thank you for the complement! I will carry it over to the organisers of the event here in EL. They will definitely appreciate it!!

@RobJ - Joh, that goes back a while! hehehe, now we've got an astro in Bunkers Hill, the buffalo flats astro, Selborne's sand based astro, Hudson park high school also built an astro turf now and Beacon Bay Country Club is considering building one as well. East London is getting there hey... making a lot of progress!

I'm LOVING it!! :yes:

oh, and to answer you're question RobJ, I unfortunately don't, but have a look here :
    http://borderhockey.co.za/photographs.php
    Border Hockey has a FEW photographs of the event.

Have you seen the field now that it's been upgraded to the astro? If not, I'll take a few pics and post it for you

8. RobJ

RobJ FHF Top Player

I saw the pictures on the Border website and the Google Map shot of the area.

9. RoMaN

RoMaN FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Grays GX8000 TT
    It's looking good hay!! That place is my second home!! :)