Ball directly into the circle?

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by brissy_umpire, Feb 27, 2017.

1. brissy_umpire

brissy_umpire FHF Newbie

During yesterday's semi-finals, there was an attacking free hit inside the attacking half, the ball was passed across the field, off the board, and into the circle (without being touched by anyone). A striker trapped the ball cleanly inside the circle, shot, scored and I awarded the goal.

The defending team blew up straight away, saying that under the 'new rules' this counts as being played directly into the circle and therefore should have been their free hit. I had never considered it that way, and thought they might have a point.

Who is right here?

2. mdemello

mdemello FHF Newbie

Based on your description your call is correct. You said that the ball was passed "across the field" so I'm assuming that it travelled 3m before it rebounded off the boards into the circle so it was a legitimate pass. See Rule 13.2

Paul Watts and brissy_umpire like this.
  3. Marqi - AR

Marqi - AR FHF Reserve Player

By new rules. The ball needs to travel 3m before rebound in the boards and then it can be inside the circle. So, your call was good. It was a legitimate pass.