Ball hit body - play advantage?

Discussion in 'Umpiring Corner' started by Wiggles369, May 19, 2017.

1. Wiggles369

Wiggles369 FHF Newbie

1 v 1, attacker has possession in the D going towards goal. Defender tackles but lifts ball into attackers knee. Advantage played and attacker goes onto score. Is it right to play advantage even though the ball has hit the knee? Or is it unfair to allow the attacker to gain an advantage with ball hitting her body ? I.e. should the foul have been blown immediately resulting in short corner? If so, how is it an unfair advantage to gain from defenders mistake?

2. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

PC.

The defender has fouled. You have 2 options.

1. Penalise the foul, give the PC.

2. Advantage, i.e. Play on as though the foul didn't happen.

If you pick option 2, then the attacker has had the ball come off their knee, helped them get control and go score a goal. That's also a foul, and means FHD. So option 2 isn't very good for the attack, which means you go with option 1.

Playing advantage doesn't mean you simply ignore everything that just happened. It means you play on as though that specific foul didn't happen. If 2 fouls happen in a row, one from each team, you should be penalising the first one.

3. Wiggles369

Wiggles369 FHF Newbie

Perfect, thank you so much :)

4. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

if the attacker's knee making contact with the ball gives them an advantage, playing on is not appropriate. A foul should be awarded for the dangerous play of lifting the ball into the attacker.
    However if the attacker scores despite the ball hitting their knee, (i.e. it causes them a problem but they manage to recover and play on despite that inconvenience, then play on is appropriate.)

Possible scenarios where the attacker could be deemed to gain an advantage:
    • Their knee knocks the ball beyond a defender into space giving the forward a clearer shot than they would otherwise have had.
    • The ball is played by the knee onto the attacker's stick allowing them to get a shot away sooner than otherwise they would have had.
    • The ball is kneeed by the attacker onto a defender's foot
    ...i am sure the list could go on.

5. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF Super Star

Generally speaking the argument is that if you gain an advantage from a foul, you should have be blown against.

As the attacker offended only because of the defender's actions it is unfair to penalise them but they cannot gain an advantage from that foul so you have to blow against the defence and explain to the attacker they gained too much advantage

6. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF Super Star

I disagree with the term "too much advantage", but agree that players should not be allowed to play on after they have benefited from a foul by themselves, or their team.
    Either the opposition is DISadvantaged(so FH), or they are not (Play On) :)
    'Semantics' you might say, but there is a perfectly good and accurate alternative to saying "Too much advantage", which I contend is not supported by the rules in any way.

#6 SPetitt, May 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM
    Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 12:10 AM
    Krebsy likes this.
  7. redumpire

redumpire FHF Staff
    Staff Member

Unusually, I totally agree with Sal. ;)

There is no such thing as "too much advantage". If you were to use that phrase while umpiring, the players wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about. In the scenario described there have been two offences - both of them accidental - so the first of these is penalised.

Paul Watts and SPetitt like this.
  8. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF Super Star

9. Krebsy

The only bit I wish to take issue with is the assertion that when you use the rules accurately, players know what you are talking about.

redumpire likes this.
  10. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF Super Star

Did I 'assert' that? I don't think so ... it certainly was not my intention! Nor, I think, did @redumpire.
    But I believe... generally, from many years training experience ... that if you answer a question accurately there is less chance of subsequent misunderstanding, even if you do have to clarify further.
    (The old saying "BS Baffles Brains" only applies if the 'brains' are not as sharp as many I have encountered :) )

11. Krebsy

I think you may have failed to spot that my post was not serious.

redumpire likes this.
  12. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

We're not mindreaders, we can't know for sure that your post is a joke, it would be wrong of us to assume your intentions.

Ravennghorde and redumpire like this.
  13. redumpire

redumpire FHF Staff
    Staff Member

Touché!

Ravennghorde likes this.
  14. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF Super Star

On the pitch we sometimes have to do it, but we have a few more clues :)

15. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

I think it is clearer to say, offences by both teams, so only the first is penalised.

There is the obvious situation where two offences occur and both are penalised: the first with advantage and the second with a PC or PS. Like two foot offences, one on each side of the circle line.

16. Krebsy

Doesn't seem to stop you ;)
    If you can do it one way you can do it the other.

17. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

I thought (I don't have a Rules capable browser atm) that no advantage could/should be played off the body, period.

18. redumpire

redumpire FHF Staff
    Staff Member

There's definitely no such prohibition in the rules...

Mac and Krebsy like this.
  19. Krebsy

You could indirectly glean however that playing the ball with your body, irrespective of how the ball got there is a foul (unless you are a GK or pseudoGK) and thus if you gain an advantage you are gaining an advantage from foul play and as such you should be prevented from doing so.
    I agree that there isn't a sentence which deals with this specific happenstance, but I don't think it's too big a leap to say that the rules do specifically prevent you from gaining an advantage.
    They don't say that it is always a foul if it hits your body, but if you gain an advantage from so-doing then I think the rules are quite clear?

redumpire and Mac like this.
  20. Bondy

Bondy FHF Legend

It's just very difficult to imagine a situation in which: the defender is close enough and the ball is travelling fast enough that a raised ball is considered dangerous - yet the contact with the attacker's body is incidental enough that it doesn't help the attacker to control the ball (even just leaving the ball uncontrolled on the ground somewhere close to the attacker is advantageous compared to the ball continuing on its previous path in mid-air past the attacker).

So, correct, there's no prohibition in the rules - it's just extremely unlikely that a situation would occur in which it would be correct to play advantage off the body.

redumpire, AJF and Mac like this.