Conduct of play Captain's marking

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by UmpireHockey.com, Feb 4, 2018.

1. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

It seems, despite a clear requirement that teams have a marked captain, that here in the states our area indoor tournaments that few teams show up to a match with a captain's band. When I ask, "Can we have a captain marked please?" I get looked at like I have three heads.

I just wonder if this is a "only happens in the USA" cultural issue or if this is typical everywhere and no one really gives a hoot about it.

Or, maybe, if any leagues have developed a penalty, even if via a match report, for a team(s) coming to a match without a captain's marking?

2. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

It does happen here on occasion (South West England) in the lower local leagues. Not many hoots given - the games are usually umpired by players who were playing a match or so before so they aren't that bothered about the more technical aspects of the rules. Same goes for having numbers on shirts - it's a black and white rule but not particularly adhered to (and, from a goalie's point of view, much more irritating than not knowing who the skipper is). Both problems could be solved with a sharpie (although might not make you popular!).

3. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Although we have appointed umpires most of them are regulars and know most of the players and In particularly the captains. Our captain always wears a band on arm and numbers are a must ........

4. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Numbers only required for first grade, also pretty rare to see a captain's armband at 2nd grade or below. Nobody cares, and if umpire needs to speak to captain, it's easy to ask for them.

5. Jon Rew

Jon Rew FHF Top Player

Same here. Our captain got pulled up about not having an armband for the first time in 6 seasons. More likely to get funny about shirt numbers, so we always carry electrical tape for the obligation 1, 7, 11, 17, 71, 77 numbering

6. Boots1994

Boots1994 FHF Reserve Player

We always carry electrical tape for changing numbers or adding them required. Our captain also puts a band of tape around her leg/sock to show that she is the captain.

7. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

We always know the umpires who are going to get snotty over an armband in our league(s). Generally it's because that is one of the few rules they know how to consistently apply. The good umpires have bigger fish to fry I suspect, or maybe they do as I do, and write the captain's number down in their little black book.

Only once have I seen the captain of one team (an away team) get in trouble for not being marked by a home umpire. When they pointed out that the home captain was not identifiable either, the umpire said that was fine because he knew her. *facepalm* you know you are in for a good 70 minutes when...

8. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Bands are fine, numbers are more of an issue. I've had to eventually card a captain (before the 2 min green) after repeat warnings that the numbers they were sticking on weren't staying on and after giving them a chance to sort it at half time, it still wasn't being sorted hence the card. First team games have to have the numbers and obviously if you're carding you need to ensure that a repeat offender gets a different card

9. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

I don't like to see it posited that way. When you're umpiring a big tournament and the teams are rotating through your assigned pitch or you're going off to any number of different pitches and you don't know who the players or coaches are, I don't think it is snotty or unreasonable to have a team following one of the rules that THEY know how to consistently apply.

10. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

We are talking about different things here. I am not talking about big tournaments, but games where people play as a pastime and a hobby and such logistics are really not as important.
    If an umpire is going to cause a fuss over something which has no material effect on gameplay, you can expect them to put as much diligence into the rest of their umpiring. Whereas when you find them rooted on the halfway line awarding PCs in your circle for unseeable technicalities, you can question with some degree of justification, whether their decision to get snotty over a number of armband is really the best demonstration of umpiring nous and good practice, or as I said, them sticking like glue to something they can be powerful over with impunity.

In a tournament where there is a material gain to ensuring such things are done properly, fair enough. But it is likely you aren't going to be exposed to the umpires I am talking about.