Club / League Hockey in Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by altonahc, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Offline

altonahc FHF Reserve Player

Message Count:
    Hi all, before anyone jumps I realise this may eventually sit in the advertisements section but I'm looking for some advice and to gather some information first.

I'm a big fan of South East Asia and my fiancée and I are looking to spend a fair chunk of time there in 2014 for our honeymoon. If possible I'm keen to combine with playing/coaching hockey and failing that picking up some work to spend as much time as possible!

I can forward through an in-depth CV to anyone that is interested but in short, I'm a 30 yo Australian and I've played over 200 Premier League games here in Melbourne, Victoria and have previously had experience in Victorian state teams playing in underage Australian Championships and Australian Hockey League. I've always wanted to play a season OS but have put off due to Work and university studies, so I'm looking to do so before I get too old.

I'm leaning towards KL/Malaysia for our travel base, given I've travelled there a few times as player and coach of development sides - however I'd like to know more about other setups in Asia such as Bangkok, Thailand. We are looking to travel through Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore - so whilst I'd prefer to play in the highest league possible in South East Asia I'd also be very keen to help out with developing hockey nations. My fiancée is also a fairly handy player so preference would be to head somewhere that also had womens comp.

So now I've bombarded you with that info...

Which countries have synthetic surfaces and what dates are the major leagues played in most countries?
    Do any private/international schools coach hockey?

Obviously its still a fair way away - however I'm keen to get as much information as possible so if you can help please be in touch!
  2. Offline

Inselaffen FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Singapore has a decent league structure and facilities but you would find it difficult without Singaporean coaching qualifications.
    the top league is only open to coaches with local badges. also you would not be able to play without a local work permit.

I can put you in contact with the guy who runs hockey in Vietnam. I'm sure he'd love for you to give a session or 2 their but doubt they'd be able to pay much (if anything)

Hockey in Indonesia is very badly run. ISCI is a decent club in Jakarta and can also put you in touch with them. again though doubt there would be much/if any money in it.
  3. Offline

John FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Malaysia is probably your best bet.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Thanks, yeah I've got some contacts at ISCI after taking a development side over there. I'll definitely be visiting Jakarta and may line up to play a few tournaments with them :). I'm not looking to make much money I just want to try save money where possible, and if people can put me in touch with english working opportunities that would be a bonus. Of course I'd love to live off hockey but I'm realistic. If I can obtain some support with accom, etc it would make life easier!

If you could provide me the guy in Vietnams details that would be great.

I've been to Malaysia quite a few times now, I'd love to play there... however I haven't had much luck so far. Do you have any contacts John?
  5. Offline

John FHF Legend

Message Count:
    None that would be useful to you I think. That said I know a man who might. If I come up with anything I'll send you a personal message.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Great, thanks John much appreciated!