Colemanballs ... what's your favourite?

Discussion in 'On the bench' started by SPetitt, Nov 19, 2017.

1. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    I was watching the highlights of England v Australia Rugby Union last night and heard the commentator ( a woman who I'd not heard before) say, just before half-time "The Australians are trying to run down the clock as quickly as possible" o_O:confused:

I think the best I ever heard, in real time, was at the 1976 Montreal Olympics in the Men's 800m, or it might have been the 400, as both were won by powerful long-striding Alberto Juantorena of Cuba.(the only time that double has been done, IIRC)
    The late great David Coleman exclaimed "Juantorena opens his legs and shows us his class!"

2. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

She made another comment about speeding the clock up or slowing it down, although I can't remember it exactly. Wasn't impressed at all with her efforts I'm afraid.

3. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    No, I have only played rugby twice, but have watched enough to know that some of the comments were amateurish ... Brian Moore had to put things straight a couple of times ... but not in the same league as Phil Neville's punditry at the Rio World Cup :rolleyes: However, he does seem to have improved, so maybe this lady will, too. It's a tough job and very easy to criticise!

As a kid, I always laughed at the memory of Jack Crapp (playing for England in Oz, I think)), often quoted by my older brothers ... Commentator(John Arlott?): "There's Crapp in the Gully":p

#3 SPetitt, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017