Cost of water based pitches

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Adam Howitt, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Adam Howitt

Adam Howitt FHF Newbie

Just a quick question but I was wondering how much a water-based pitch is or a 3G pitch would cost?
    I know that it depends on a load of things but an average cost:

2. G

G FHF All Time Great

3. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

4. G

G FHF All Time Great

That’s true. The Hockey Centre had their other water based pitch resurfaced and the shock pad repaired about 3 years ago and that was ‘only’ £200k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MikesDad

MikesDad FHF Top Player

The pitches at Lea Valley are being relaid for £600,000 ahead of the Women's World Cup.

Starting from scratch on a new site could easily be £800,000 to £1m for a water pitch depending on drainage and other infrastructure requirements.

6. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

That is an absolute disgrace. Lee Valley have ruined those pitches due to lack of proper care and maintenance. The main pitch is marginally older than the one at Southgate, the only difference being that the Southgate pitch is regularly cleaned and looked after. Please tell me EH are not footing the bill for this!

Ravennghorde likes this.
  7. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

One pitch that has recently been laid was $1.65m this included lights, plus a watering reserve system to ensure ongoing water supply in an area that has had water restrictions previously. This was outside the $1.65m and only possible to the generosity of a company that has arranged the continuous supply of water for usage.

Plus you need to plan for the maintenance and replacement ahead

8. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

Thankfully EH are not paying for it. Polytan are funding it I believe (but I may be wrong on that part).

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

9. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

Believe they are being replaced due to turf technology moving on in the five years they have been down rather something being inherently wrong with them, although we all know they are slow and bobbly! The carpets are going to be recycled and offered to other sites as the Olympic carpets were according to EH.

10. Rich_C

Rich_C FHF Star Player

@Willowsacorns I am not sure how you can say that Lee Valley have ruined those pitches. I know for a fact how much time and effort was spent researching the various treatments, following the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure the warranty remains in force and researching new techniques as well. I know for a fact that the pitches have a more regular maintenance regime than Southgate which is difficult given the much higher usage.

Peeb Rain likes this.