Damaged knee - ACL surgery and rehab experiences anyone?

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Stretch, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Before anyone goes off, don't worry I am seeking appropriate medical advice!

I was just wondering what experiences of recovery and knee function etc after recovery you have had?

Have definitely grade 2 tear of medial collateral ligament, but have to wait a few days for swelling etc to go down before I can get the anterior cruceate ligament cleared (I couldn't relax my leg enough for the diagnostic ACL tests at the emergency dept :( ) I really hope it's just the MCL and not the ACL as well!

For the record, I hyperextended the knee pulling up at the top of the D running out on a corner in an indoor game. The floor was stupid sticky and my foot stuck slightly before I was expecting to pull up. It's okay though, I saved the flick ;)

2. Beej

Beej FHF Starter

I have! Not a fun time, it was a grade two tear so no surgery required (most MCL injuries, if done without damage to ACL or medial meniscus won't require surgery, even grade 3 tears).saw the physio and he told me NO ACTIVITY FOR 2 months and a knee brace with two metal bars on the medial and lateral parts of the knee.I was able to get back into hockey a week before I had a major tournament and boy, any force that aggravated the MCL was hell (like sliding) but stopped probably 2 months after I started playing again.

I'm a year an a half on now, I strapped my knee for every game and training for about 7 months post injury. Pain when playing is gone but when I sit cross legged for more than a few min these days I get a shooting pain from the area into the joint.cold effects it,but my range of movement and strength is fine, I'm playing better than ever :)

Stretch likes this.
  3. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like I'm in for a slow pre-season then...hopefully I'm back up to scratch with strapping in time for pre-season practice matches next year... :(

Emergency Physio didn't brace me, she seemed satisfied that my quads were strong enough to support things as long as I used crutches. Having had extended rehab on joints purely due to them being immobilised, rather than because of the injury, I was glad to avoid a brace...

Keep everything crossed for me! Off to physio tomorrow to get full assessment and cleared of ACL involvement...hopefully I've only got grade 2 MCL at worst (maybe only grade 1 if I'm lucky!) and he agrees that brace isn't required...have been getting sharper pains in parts as the swelling has gone down though, so I'm starting to lose a bit of my optimism... :eek:

keely likes this.
  4. Beej

Beej FHF Starter

Yes good luck! I hope you have a speedy recovery and the knee isn't too uncomfortable. MCL really is the lesser of two evils when there could be ACL involvement.

5. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Uh oh...

So on a positive, my MCL appears to be quite intact still and is not of concern to my physio at all!!

Less positive...I have almost certainly injured the meniscus and he still can't determine with physical exam whether the ACL is intact or not.

So. Off to the MRI I go to determine the extent of meniscus damage and if I still have an ACL.

Extent of rehab and or surgery can then be determined. Looks like my shiny new November sale kit will stay shiny and new for the rest of this year at least. Clock starts now to see if starting next season in April is a realistic goal or not...:(

Keep those bits and pieces crossed for me fellow forum-ers! :)

6. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Ouch.

I've hurt mine in the past, basically had forward dive into outside/front of my right knee when it was planted to kick the ball with left foot. Couldn't walk for a couple of days, but end diagnosis was strained ligaments and possibly minor meniscus damage rather than anything badly torn. Ended up having 6 months off hockey due to the timing of it, I missed the final month of the season and then just didn't play indoor/social that summer. Stayed off it as much as possible for about a month, then started riding bike. There was this strange clicking noise happening once per pedal revolution, was trying to diagnose problem with bike until I realised the click was coming from knee. Wore a neoprene brace when playing for about a year. That was ~10 years ago. Have had minor issues with it since, right knee isn't as stable as left, so I'll occasionally move in some way that knee doesn't like, and it'll twist/buckle on me. Reasonably rare though, and it's always ok again pretty quickly.

Hope you get good news.

If you get bad news, I'm happy to help look after pink/green legs. :p

7. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Never count your meniscii (?) before they're hatched...

Nothing noted on the MRI meniscus-wise. MCL and LCL both intact, LCL is sprained though.

PCL fine.

But ACL is ruptured. :(
    Poo.

Mods: perhaps title of thread can be amended to better reflect my diagnosis? "Care to share your ACL reconstruction experiences?"

In the end, neither of the clinical assessments could pick it. Thank goodness for MRI!

So off to the Physio I go, and off to find an orthopaedic surgeon.

sanabas : No chance!! :p those beauties are now my rehab motivators. I want to debut them at the start of next season! Well. Assuming I can get in for surgery ASAP. Not a good time of year to need elective surgery - health insurance or not o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Aargh.
    All the very best with the medical stuff and the recovery.

Stretch likes this.
  9. Beej

Beej FHF Starter

Really sorry to hear hear that :(

10. keely

keely FHF Legend

Terrible news Stretch. Hoping for a fast an completely recovery for you!

11. Goaldoc

Goaldoc FHF Newbie

Never can tell! I had a minor knee strain at the Masters National Champs, didn't stop me playing, ( team won o55 gold!) anyway MRI showed MCL partial tear, torn meniscus and some cartilage loss. Arthroscopy next week but hopefully only 6 weeks off. Length of time off for an ACL depends on what they use in the repair...basically a season tho' bad luck mate.

12. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Yup. Had my Physio gently rule out my whole 2014 outdoor season today :(

I've never lost more than a few weeks to injury before, hell I've never even had a general! :eek:

Will see a surgeon as soon as he'll fit me in, then go from there.

Gutted. (To put it mildly!)

13. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Really wish the title of this would change to "Share your ACL surgery and rehab experiences" or similar... Pretty please? ;) I'd love to hear how others have coped with this injury!

My surgery is scheduled for early in the new year. Surgeon will perform a hamstring graft reconstruction. He wouldn't normally operate within 8 weeks of the initial injury, but he was very impressed with how much range of motion and reduced inflammation I had achieved in my two and a bit weeks - if it wasn't for Xmas he'd have done it sooner :)

Shows that it pays to see a physio as soon as you can with these things. He had me working my quads as soon as I could and I never would have known to stop walking on a soft knee (with crutches to help if needed) immediately. Left to myself I would probably still be limping and my knee would have stiffened for sure! With Physio I was off crutches in less than a week.

I'm now doing a 'pre-hab' program now. Sooo many glute, quad and hammy exercises! >.< feeling the burn...

I could do without having to pay a $12 casual gym fee just to sit on a stationary bike for 20 minutes at a time though. Might have to buy one I reckon, as the gym fees will add up to the cost of a low end exercise bike in no time at that rate!!

Indulgent update complete. Sorry! :) this forum has been a valuable outlet for hockey stuff for me - my friends and family always just respond "why do you keep playing? It's not worth it surely!?"

:rolleyes: they do not play hockey obviously :)

14. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

That's such bad luck, especially with your new kit.......I feel your pain. Just don't rush back too quick!

15. Buzz

Buzz FHF Starter

And really do the rehab. I ruptured my Achilles last year but with surgery and brilliant physio I was back for a full season of cricket. 6 months from knife to pitch. I now have no issues with the ankle.
    My surgery was very different from yours but I had my physio attending the opp so he spent some time with the surgeon to help with the best type of physio afterwards.
    (If anyone is interested, I had a tendon moved from the side of my foot and drilled into my heel... lovely!!)

Stretch likes this.
  16. Manakin

Manakin FHF Reserve Player

Have done both of my ACL's playing Rugby - 10 years apart and realistically you're looking at between 6 and 8 month to get back to full fitness. In the end had to knock rugby on the head, which is when I took up hockey, and I've found that Goal Keeping causes me no problems at all!

I'd recommend, as soon as you can, get to the gym and do as much 'pre-hab' as possible - strengthening hamstrings and quads and spend time on the bike. The stronger you are before the op, the better re-hab will be as it will have less to do. Need to do all closed chain stuff (squats, hamstring curls, etc) but discus with your physio - I'd tend to avoid Lunges as they have a shearing force on the joint you have just damaged.
    Spend a lot of time on the bike/rower to keep everything moving and maintain muscle tone

Post op, I found you can really hammer it - managed to halve my recovery time just by pushing myself, but I do heal quickly. If they offer you a knee brace post-op try to avoid it, as you improve your proprioception and joint stability quicker without (I had a brace for the first one and not for the second)

to conclude find a good physio, make sure they understand what your goals are (most of the population seem to just want to get to the end of physio so they can get back on the sofa) and do whatever they tell you.

Any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to remember - It's been about 5 years since my last op.

Stretch likes this.
  17. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Surgery day...hope I handle everything ok! Really have no idea what to expect :eek:

18. sanabas

Hope it goes well.

19. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Thanks. Will your shoulder need surgery? How long will you have to wait for that?

20. sanabas

I really hope not, but worst case scenario I think includes it. Won't know any more for maybe 2 weeks, until I go to fracture clinic, and I'm assuming they'll do more scans, check muscles/tendons, give me rehab plan. Broken bone seems to mean no rush, as shoulder is immobilised as much as possible for next fortnight regardless. Never done anything this serious before, dealing with the non-mental health parts of the health system is all new to me.

How soon after surgery does your rehab get to start?