Do you sweat a lot?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by AAA, May 13, 2007.

1. AAA

AAA FHF Starter

Hi again,

Another issue I have right now is that I sweat a lot. I wear normal T-shirts for top and normal underwear for bottom. After a training session or game, my gear is really wet. I try to hang my gear in a garage but it sometimes does not dry overnight. It is really gross to wear wet gear. Also, it is smelly although I wash my gear a few times a year. So, washing my gear does not help to remove goalie smell. As a keeper, do I have to bear with this? Or, do you have any advice? I really hate my teammates address me like sweaty and smelly keeper.

2. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

I think all goalies smell just the way it is. :yes:

3. MVFHockeygoalie

MVFHockeygoalie FHF Regular Player

i sweat SO much haha like dripping down my face and arms!! and i deff know how wet gear is so gross to play in....but im in the same boat with you, i dont know how to deal with it....hmmm

4. garli

garli FHF Staff

If you didn't sweat that would be super unheathy.

5. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

I sweat more than is probably normal for a girl - don't know why, just do. Since I'm normally in kit, though, it's not a huge deal. Try getting out of cotton, as moisture doesn't evaporate from it as fast, so you're basting in your own sweat (ew). Wicking shirts really do help. Get one and try it out and see if it makes a difference for you.

6. gnarlygk

gnarlygk FHF Regular Player

Im sure you know that sweating is the bodies normal response to heat in an effort to kool down. So keepers sweat just as fieldies do just as anyone doing excercise will!! We just have more layers on which tend to soak it and also prevent evaporation. You probably dont sweat any more than others it just gets trapped in when you are a keeper. After training or a game im always pretty drenched along with my gear even if its cold prolly - partly due to playing on water base too.

Agree with Cascadia - I recently got a base layer shirt which helps spreading and evaporating the moisture and you dont feel as soaked. As for kit theres a few threads on here about airing it / cleaning it etc along with Animals site which has a download? When airing it though, try and do it where there is airflow like an outside balcony or shady spot under a tree rather than in a garage tho i realise this may not always be possible depending on where u live?

Though i think theres always going to be a certain amount of goalie smell though it doesnt have to be totally rank and overpowering everytime u put the gear on...by then I think its got a little bit too far lol

7. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Hi AAA,
    Sweating is your body's way of keeping cool.
    Obviously with an active sport, and with wearing keeper kit, you're gonna sweat more than usual.
    My advice - keep hydrated. Drink before, during and after games/training. I'll drink isotonic stuff or water, and plenty of it.
    As for kit, under my pads I wear a Canterbury tight 'wicking' top, usually short-sleeved, and cycling shorts. That helps keep me drier. I've given up wearing loose smocks and now prefer tighter Dri-Fit, Clima-Fit and that type of top from Nike/Adidas. I always wear a headband.
    My abdo, chest guard, elbow pads, hotpants and overshorts get washed every 3/4 games and hung up overnight after matches. My kickers, leg guards, helmet and gloves get wiped down after every game, hung up whenever possible, and wiped with anti-bacterial spray before being put back into the bag. My bag also gets emptied of sand, wiped, anti-bac'ed and dried.
    And yet every now and then I'll just hum. As keepers, we can do many things to combat it, but occasionally it happens. The healthiest thing to do is to keep the bacteria to a minimum.
    If your teammates keep referring to it, just remind them how important your role is, and if they'd prefer to play without a keeper, then let them try...
    Cheers,
    Snoody

8. garli

garli FHF Staff

Why do you go for a headband instead of a bandana?

9. joe cole

joe cole FHF Regular Player

The healthier you are the more you sweat. Obviously after a point, so like obviously if your uber fat you sweat really quickly. However when you get uber athletic you start to sweat profusely really easily.

Personally non of my kit really can get sweat soaked into it except for the body armour. the leg guards cant really absorb moisture, the shorts might a bit but normally all soaks into stuff under them.

Talcum powder might work? I let someone else borrow my kit once and they left it with a foul smell so had to get an air freshener for a while.

Your diet and general level of health effect the smell of your sweat. If your physically fitter your sweat should be nicer.

JC x

10. Snoody

I find that bandanas don't soak up enough sweat and it can still dribble into my eyes. Stings like crazy.

11. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

i get extreamly sweaty easy after the warmup im soaked but it doesnt matter that much but i feel less gross when i wear drifi material shorts and tshirt because it doesnt absorb sweat that good and the colour of drifimaterials doesnt change when it get wet (others cant see that your sweating hevily)

12. Ally

Ally FHF Regular Player

I started wearing a long sleeved base layer shirt. It takes the sweat away from my body so I don't have that damp feeling when playing. Log sleeved because I find the arms of my body armour stick to my skin otherwise. Forget it the other day and wore a T shirt - I really noticed the difference. It felt sweaty and also cold from the wind which I don't usually feel.
    Think for a girl I sweat alot anyway but all the kit makes it so much worse.

13. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Got to love that feeling when you have to get in your car post match with no facilities at the ground. Sit back in your seat and get that lovely soggy cold feeling :( The only time I regret getting leather seats.

14. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

I had to sell my 'Baby' when I got married. I now have a sensible car with room for the dogs in the boot and ability to tow a caravan. It is also great for driving to games fully loaded with 5 players and kit (including my GK kit)

15. gnarlygk

gnarlygk FHF Regular Player

Ph yeah agree with that sold sticky wet seat feeling, solution - Get a car with heated lthr seats :p...just kidding all you feel is warm and wet and even the car fogs so u cant see a thing and u end up sandwiched between warm seat, cold damp clothes with the air con blowing cold to deal with the fog :baffled:

16. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

My wife has the heated leather in her car, strange that she is not keen to let my borrow it on saturdays!

17. alex.

alex. FHF Legend

I sweat a lot (though apparently not as much as some people here). i used to wear a bandanna but they was to keep hair out of my eyes rather than sweat. although i do have thick eyebrows so maybe they do their job very well and i just don't realise how much i'm sweating.

18. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

instead of a bandanna you can buy a thing called a sweat gutter. this is as it sounds a piece of rubber designed to keep your hair back and the sweat out of your eyes. however it dosnt absorbe the sweat only moves it else wear. I am also not sure how confortable this would be under a helmet
    always an option though

19. Hargo14

Hargo14 FHF Regular Player

I dont sweat that much because living in nice old england it doesnt get amazingly warm, and when i play on waterbase you cant tell the differene anyway:p i do sweat a lot more indoor tho..only played indoor once and can still smell it :plol

20. Snoody

Cheers for the hint - never seen / heard of that before. Not sure if it'll work under a lid, but may be worth a try.
    Snoody