ENTIRE Pakistani national team retires!!!

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by RussellButt, Mar 11, 2010.

1. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I can understand them beeing dissapointed but to become a good team takes time and years of hard work many asian teams dont seem to understand that even if you loose a tournment you have won a lot of experiance which can be used for the next tournament but if you constantly send a new team to every tournament you will never get the experiance

if this is true i will miss players like rehan butt, sohail abbas and salman akbar

3. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

Well, Butt and Abbas have been pretty woeful this tournament.

Shakeel Abassi had been their brightest spark - but don't they also have a 17-year-old on the squad? You can't retire from international hockey after your first taste, surely?

4. Oli

Oli FHF Regular Player

This is an amzing story !!!!

5. MK

MK FHF Legend

Hi guys

Posted a new blog and hope to be more regular with my postings.

Please check it out at : http://www.ehlhockey.tv/#/weblogs/NDg4OQ==

Please let me know your thoughts either here or on the website itself.

Regards
    Mani

6. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Not a bad idea. A clean slate would be most welcome.

7. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

I've read your opinion and to be frank I totally disagree with it.

PHF has raised funds for the team to train in the best possible manner. They arranged for international tours. They provided the team with the best facilities. I think they couldn't have done anymore. The team just couldn't deliver and weren't good enough. Period. Also, there are a few Pakistani players such as Abbas and Waseem already playing abroad in the Dutch league. That argument doesn't hold. There's no need for any panic or doomsday scenarios. The players realize that they failed miserably. The players have taken collective responsibility. I give them credit for doing so. Pakistan hockey needs new faces. That applies to both the management and the squad. Asian hockey didn't die, but it just revived.

8. chris_y

chris_y FHF Regular Player

True that Waseem and Abbas both play in Holland. But who else? Considering that these two were dropped at one stage because they didn't want to play back home (abbas also stated family reasons from what I remember...) does this not suggest that something needs to change?

Look at the final teams in the semi's. Netherlands, Germany and England all have players from the Dutch leagues. They also all have players who have played in the EHL competition. As for Australia well we have all known about their athlete coaching programme and SEPEP previously. Not to mention that some of them have and are playing in Holland as well. This is were Pakistan and Indian hockey is failing to come up to scratch. having 3-4 training camps, for maybe a week at a time, a year just is not enough. The England men are taken out of playing for club before christmas. What was the Pakistani set up? (I have no idea this is a genuine question!)

9. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

Pakistan players are inherently weak, they can not compete with super fit Europeans and Austrlians?NZ on artificial turfs. Soon Pakistan would be playing hockey only on the sub continent level, as the Koreans and Chinese are quickly advancing!

10. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

Asrar!!!!! SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

You're killing me here.

All of our hockey nations are fighting struggles of form or another. In the UK we have a huge population, but no profile for the sport. Each country faces some sort of spanner in the works.

Look at South Africa, they were ruined by a rampant Australia side, but fought back to finish respectably in their last two games. They don't have Olympic gold medals or previous World Cup success to look back to (I think, correct me if I am wrong), and have a pretty small pool of players to source a national squad from.
    To be frank, they don't have anything, but the future, to look to. But I don't see depressing threads about the state of SA hockey here.

Why don't you be the spark that turns things the other way? Instead of being a bringer of doom, channel your efforts into how you can positively bring about change in Pakistani hockey.
    People here listen to you, you have an opinion, make it known outside of the forum.
    You clearly care about the sport, it's important to you.
    I think you should fight what you are saying is inevitable and help try and re-build things. Surely that would be more satisfying??

11. MK

MK FHF Legend

RAGY

Let him mope around.
    rather than do something positive, they moan, complain, blame and deflect responsibility away from the bare facts, that pakistan and India are dead as hockey playing nations.

Both nations want to be entertained, rather than win.
    Its the same at IG when they wanted me to coach - when they asked me to coach, they said they wanted a certain 'style of play' to exist which mattered more than the winning.
    A 6-5 loss was more important than a 3-0 win!

I say - let them have this style of play - let them become the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey - at least the World Cup and Olympics will be filled with 12 teams who want to win.

12. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

"that Pakistan and India are dead as hockey playing nations"

This is what I meant to say! I agree!

13. Pesty jnr

Pesty jnr FHF Newbie

Ragyrascal is right. Hockey has hurdles all over the world. As an Aussie the win in WC helps so much as it will give the sport the profile it needs. Despite our relative success it is still an ignored sport. The players/management do it in spite of the problems.
    There are many issues most would agree with the sub continent. They are definitely able to match European and other Asian nations in athletic terms.
    As an outsider the mental attitude seems to be a common theme. Harking back to the past has not been useful.Look at the strides Korea has made. It is a real force in womens and mens hockey. They seem really driven to win and I have to admire that. Their dedication to the team is also quite amazing and not what the West and Aust. players would do but it works for them. And they work off a small base of players.
    What is the secret to fixing Pakistan and India? Ironic that Charlesworth tried to work with India and could not get through. Give him good players and infrastructure and he has won Gold for Australia.

14. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Not necessarily. Pakistan performed badly because of other reasons. The lacklustre performance wasn't related to players not playing in the Dutch league. The reason is primarily related to lack of motivation and disbelief. After the first crunch match against India the Pakistani players were unable to regroup. Then, after the loss against GB, Pakistan had little to play for. In fact, I can conclude that the loss against GB was the last nail in the coffin as far as confidence and motivation are concerned. The body language in the last two matches against RSA and Canada speak volume. The players weren’t motivated and basically it came down to a formality. Every minute on the field was torturous and that was clearly visible. Those are the reasons for failure.

I’m a staunch supporter of more players participating in the Dutch and other strong European leagues. It’s after all the most competitive league in the world. However, it would be unjustified to blame PHF for not doing enough for the players. The players simply didn't deliver and were unmotivated after the crucial losses. I don't blame them.

15. keely

keely FHF Legend

I do.

Look at the Canadians, who handed them the wooden spoon. They lost every one of their pool matches. Watch this interview with Dave Jameson of CAN and see how a team that keeps losing, and in some cases losing big, on the world's biggest stage doesn't give up. Look at his face and see the pain of the losses but also the determination to keep competing. That's what sport is all about - not pulling up the stakes because you're not going to be in the final. That's truly pathetic.

[youtube=425,350]F-UBoEjD8dl[/youtube]

16. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Call it pathetic, call it a lack of motivation. It certainly isn't sportsmanship like, but for a country that has such a rich history in field hockey I can understand the utter devastation. Pakistan had hopes and thought they were well prepared to meet the challenge. Unfortunately, in reality things don't always work out as you plan. As a fan, I forgive them. It's time to move on instead of pointing with the blame finger. Firstly, clean up the incompentent and bad apples from the management. Secondly, reshape the whole team and start with a clean slate for the sake of hockey in Pakistan. There is immense talent in Pakistan. Youngsters need to be given a chance.

With all due respect to the likes of Canada and RSA. These are teams that had nothing to lose, but only to gain. The WC means experience and exposure for such teams. Even one win against such a formidable opponent is good for their morale. Pakistan on the other hand, lost their appetite and had nothing to play for anymore. The disappointment and lack of willingness is therefore to a certain extent understandable.

17. DV_MAN

DV_MAN FHF Starter

As ever with Pakistan, they're doing a 'Leeds United' :p They're harking back to the good old days of grass hockey and the success they used to have, and this is why they seem to be annoyed with their recent lack of success. The majority of major powers in the sport (Germany, Holland, Spain, Australia and to some extent England) have strong domestic set-ups which welcome overseas players as well as encouraging the youth, and they also have a healthy representation in the hoofdklasse, which is the strongest league in the world. With the Australians for example, Dwyer, Ockenden, Doerner, Knowles and others are testing themselves against the best in the world every week of the year, and the fitness that comes with this is second to none. If the Pakistan team mostly play at home, and don't have this interraction then they'll never adapt to the modern game. I realise the infrastructure problems of Pakistan in general will also affect sports funding and facilities, but mainly the Pakistan players and coaches need to wake up and see how all the leading countries are becoming fit and experienced, and follow this example.

18. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

well i thought give my 2 cents opinion.

I agree with everyone. Things need to be changed cause we are talking bout these two countries and then later maybe china and korea.

Asia has good players...in the forms of sohail, jong jang, sandeem and sardar singh, rehan butt waseem ahmed, shakeel abbasi.

I just hope that things go well for these countries...i know sooner or later malaysia will complain also.

Thank god we are a small hockey nation...we dont have too much to argue about.We just play Aus and NZ in the qualifiers.

Getting a bit off topic now...lol

Congrats to pakistan making the olympics.Hope they towel some teams....