Goalie getting treatment and wrong umpire guidance

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by peterwins, Feb 19, 2017.

1. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

two weeks ago I had the great pleasure of being player coach for the USA over 50 team in the inaugural FIH/IMHA Masters Indoor World Cup. The tournament was superbly run by Dirk Wellen and his organizing team in Krefeld Germany. In our 5/6 playoff game with Italy, we were trailing 2-1 with 5 minutes to go when our goalie took a blow to the shoulder. The nearby umpire stopped play. I knew that if the trainer came on for a field player, the player had to go off for a minute. I could not remember if this applied to a GK. I asked the umpire. he said it did not, so we had the trainer look at him. She checked his arm/shoulder and declared he was OK to continue. In the meantime, the other umpire came down and told his colleague that he was wrong at that our GK would have to go off. All arguments that we had asked specifically about this before getting treatment fell on deaf ears and our goalie was forced off for a minute. Our backup unfortunately conceded a goal in that time. We went to a kicking back, got one back and then had a huge sweep over the end line by an opposition defender ignored that we thought should have been a PC. Lost 3-2. Naturally went to look this up afterwards. Nothing in the indoor rules, but tournament regs have the following:
    http://www.fih.ch/media/8997717/fih-tournament-regulations-indoor-december-2016.pdf
    1. 9.6 No incapacity treatment is permitted on the field of play. If a player becomes incapacitated on the field of play, one of the Umpires may stop the match and assess whether or not the player requires attention:

a the Umpire may authorise the registered Team Medical Doctor and / or Physiotherapist to enter the field of play;

b if a team does not have such registered officials, the Umpire will authorise the on-duty Medical Officer and / or Team Manager, to enter the field of play;

c if necessary, the Umpire may also authorise stretcher bearers to enter the field of play;

d persons authorised to enter the field of play are required to assist and remove the player concerned from the field of play as soon as it is safe to do so.

2. 9.7 If any person from the team bench and / or the on-duty Medical Officer enters the field of play and attends a player:
      1. a that player must leave the field of play and return to the team bench area for a minimum of one minute of playing time;

2. b the one minute period will be managed by the Technical Officials on duty;

3. c the player required to leave the field of play may be substituted.

So the first umpire was wrong and the second guy was right.

That said, how else could I have handled this issue? (memorizing tournament regs would be a start:) If you were part of the umpiring team, how might you have handled this issue, once incorrect information had been given?

2. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Two wrongs don't make a right.

The teams should know what they're allowed to do, what they must do, and the corresponding restrictions prior to any matches. That's what the teams' briefing is for.

Failing that, the umpires might be expected to know the regulations, but as far as formality goes, that's the job of technical bench (and the minute is handled by them too). You should have asked the sidelines rather than the umpire if the information was to be relied on, in this case.

Despite that, if the team doesn't know and the umpire says the wrong thing, once the error is discovered, you still have to correct it where possible - regs say player must go off so player goes off. Umpire can say sorry afterwards, but it's hardly their fault. It's tough luck that you were at the end with the umpire who didn't know, rather than the one who did.

3. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Would expect your team manager to be on top of tournament regs and tell you. And would have asked the tech official rather than the umpire about a technical regulation like that.

Probably the same way they did. It's unfortunate one of them gave you bad advice, but as an umpire they shouldn't exacerbate that by not following the tournament regs. If they did, the other team would have an even bigger gripe than you do. It's not like they left you without a keeper.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Agree with comments above. Sorry @peterwins but it's as much the teams' responsibility to know the rules & regs as it is the umpires'. Yes, the first umpire made a mistake, but so did your team officials.

5. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Agreed. Interestingly, in the final, the host German keeper went down, had treatment and remained on the field. Oh, well!

6. ivyleague

ivyleague FHF Top Player

This is one of the reasons why i really respect you Peter - sometimes things happen that don't work out and it can be frustrating, but you are always willing to stay calm, ask questions (including how you could do things differently) and move forward. Cheers!

7. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Thanks @ivyleague. I always try and remember that we are all engaged in a sport. It is a true passion for many of us, (and probably everyone on this site), but is still a sport. If we cannot sort out differences with a talk and hopefully a smile and a laugh, that would be sad. When I start to get upset, I try to remember (tongue firmly in cheek) that all these other people have shown up just so I can have my hockey fun:)

ivyleague likes this.