Drills Goalie ground to stand reaction :

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Fit4hockey, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Fit4hockey

Fit4hockey FHF Starter

Hi there I’m covering fitness work for our Club teams and would like anyone’s thoughts on improving the reaction from being on the ground to getting upright for any secondary attack.
    I can imagine improving all core muscle groups will be part of the the process : GK ages are 11-adult M/F

2. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Most core muscle exercises are great for this. Making sure they get up without exposing their knees would be a key take away though. I'll try and dig up a video on youtube if I can

3. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Decent technique makes a big difference. Starting from having a good down ready position.

Krebsy likes this.
  4. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

As @AndyGaut said most core excercises but also practice in kit ....over and over and over

Krebsy likes this.
  5. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

I would second @sanabas. Get the technique right then work on it over and over.

Exercises to get the body into the right shape:

Squats, lunges, planks, press-ups

It's all about being able to haul yourself up and around quickly so getting familiar with body movement exercises and core strength will make it easier.

6. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

Asides from the fitness one key technique to include if the ball has gone to the sides is keeping the glove closet to where the ball is (especially if its your RHP) on the floor for as long as possible as the rest of you gets up. This stops any quick shots going through the gap you are leaving.

Best way to practice this is with someone playing rebounds at you after you have made an initial dive save. Teach the keepers to get up towards the ball and push off with the hand on the side they are going. Only taking it off the floor once you have your feet planted and are moving towards the ball.

My credentials aren't tip top but this was taught to me by John Hurst and Maddie Hinch a few years back at some keeper specific training sessions.

Fit4hockey likes this.
  7. Whoops

Whoops FHF Starter

Does anyone have any good drills or can point me in the direction of YouTube videos for getting back up from a dive?

8. Fit4hockey

Fit4hockey FHF Starter

The answers above give you an idea of some drills.....they are boring, repetitive, hard at the start but in my opinion absolutely essential . Id start with the core body exercises outlined above but ensuring they are done with precision slowly before encouraging snap movements to simulate a live environment.
    What Im also going to be introducing is work with short bungees in the goal area ( attached to the cross bar or posts) .....GK makes dive with bungee attached and is helped at first by the bungee to recover, then gradually reducing the effect of the bungee as the muscle groups improve and "remember" the response.
    When we get into the field environment from April Ill post a short video if it proves to be successful.

PS the point made above concerning exposing the knees is important: my 12yo had exactly this issue when shot at following a dive. Goal was defended but at the cost of a nasty bruise on the top of his knee cap.

9. sanabas

That seems a bit weird to me, because the direction the bungee is pulling will be different to the direction you want to move to get up. I'd also be worried about the extra resistance making the dive harder/changing how you land. Feel like it'll affect your balance for both going to ground and getting up.

Drills are easy enough, just build in both the dive & the recovery. e.g. dive to right post, then pop to feet to face shot from right baseline. Or for PC, drop for straight strike, then get to feet for second shot from about 30 degrees from top. Or the sadistic version, start standing on left post. Drop step & dive to save push from ~5m going in on right post, pop to feet facing right baseline, drop step & dive to left post for save, pop to feet facing left baseline, repeat x 2 or 3 or until dead. Only needs one person feeding balls, so can be done with just 1 coach + 1 keeper. As already said, also important to get technique sorted out, don't just focus on repeatedly getting to feet if it's being done with poor technique, or if dive has poor technique and keeper is turtling themselves every time, etc. Drop step, dive, drop, getting to feet are all separate skills that can be worked on individually before trying to string them together in a drill.

Fit4hockey likes this.
  10. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Actually used appropriately, it enhances/exaggerates the effect when you take the bungee off. I used to do a lot of archery training with a similar thing on my draw elbow (the arm that pull the bowstring back), and it basically makes your muscles move and work more, as long as the basic movement is correct encourages good technique.
    So, with the bungee on, diving will be harder, but when you take it off, you'll get a faster dive. However, you need to be careful not to rely on the bungee completely for recovery, as that will pull you backwards as well as up. As long as your recovery action is forwards, the result of the bungee work will enhance this when taken off.

(Does that make any sense? If it's wrong, feel free to correct me!)

Fit4hockey likes this.
  11. Krebsy

I would concur with @MunchkinGK , I have never used it whilst Arching but the technique works in many fields and this one is no different.
    Another possible approach would be to bungee people on the way up. So dive into the bungee without resistance but have resistance as your recover? Or if that doesn't work, don't dive, just lie down under slight bungee tension and get up heading away from the bungee anchor point. This will make getting up harder, and as such when there is no bungee, the principle of having a stronger muscle memory and stronger muscles will apply and getting up will be easier.

It is the same principle as lifting weights and resistance training. If you can shift weights in a certain direction, then when those weights are not there, you will have a stronger movement and momentum.

Fit4hockey likes this.
  12. Fit4hockey

Fit4hockey FHF Starter

I’ve used the technique briefly in soccer Gk Training but not for long enough to fully guage benefits due to a country change .

The points you both Make are very useful and are in line with how I think this benefits . The target is to make the reaction quicker and the effort more natural or better to say with less called upon effort . The point about ensuring the movement is forward is excellent.
    The point about using the resistance to restrict the reaction from down to up and then let it loose when removed is also good .
    Both points I shall certainly take into my thinking .
    What I have found using bungees with outfield players is their 0-10m speed/movement is much more spontaneous this making them quicker to ball, and this I've noticed visibly on match-days. A secondary benefit is the lack of tiredness late in the Game or tournaments vs other teams.
    Thanks for your input .

MunchkinGK likes this.
  13. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

*shooting

14. Krebsy

:p
    Every day is a school day.

15. Whoops

Whoops FHF Starter

I think what I’m more after is something that shows me more the technique of getting up, I’d always been on the larger size so didn’t really dive unless needed and wouldn’t get up very quickly but I’ve lost 10stone in the last couple of years so am more agile and dive a bit more but need the technique to get up without exposing the goal too much as I tend to push up on to all 4’s then up which I know isn’t ideal but is all I know!

16. sanabas

You can find some talk about it in

Might take a while to find, but the whole video is useful. There's quite a few other, shorter ones on their channel focusing on specific skills.

With the resistance training, I can see how resistance training makes sense for making an action stronger/more explosive, making it harder to do the action in the drill because of the resistance. I just don't see how it'd work in the opposite direction, the idea that the bungee will make it easier to go from ground to feet because of that extra pull. Maybe I'm visualising what was described differently to how you guys are.