Goalkeeping Kit on the Bus & Train

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by biggoaly, Jan 3, 2018.

1. biggoaly

biggoaly FHF Newbie

Hi All, I’m looking at getting a new Goalkeeper Bag and was undecided between the OBO Carry Bag & Standup Bag. I was just wondering for those of you who have had experience with getting to Training/Matches by either Train or Bus which bag you used and how did it work? I’ve had experience with the Standup before on a Train and its a bit of a hassle but wondering whether any other bag will be less so on emptier trains that is. I always bring a Backpack with me so a Travel Bag is of the books so yeah. What have your experiences been with bringing kit on Trains & Buses and which bags do you think work best?

Hope you all have had a Good Christmas & New Years, Nate

2. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

I used to use an old carry bag from the club before I bought my own stand up bag. This made getting across London to games 100% easier. I still get funny looks when there's a whole 2 person space taken up by my goalie bag in a packed tube train, but the wheels and ability to stand it up make it take up way less room, not to mention navigating the escalators easier.

I had to catch a tube and a bus to every home game, and some combination of tube/bus/train to away games, so the stand up is recommended from me. Made travelling on public transport a lot easier, as easy as it can be with a massive bag that size. London buses are a lot easier as you can ask the driver to open the middle doors, I could never fit the bag through the front door trying to get past all the seats, but I generally got to and from games with relative ease once you get used to where you can fit it and carrying it down stairs.

biggoaly likes this.
  3. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Have used both Obo wheelie and travel bag on the tube and buses in London. The travel bag trumps the wheelie 100%, as it's much easier to negotiate doors, people, escalators and barriers, plus it's lots lighter. If I have another bag, I make sure it goes inside the travel bag, which I would advise above the carry bag, as you're less likely to deck someone with the travel bag. (Travelling experience includes London with the GK kit, and international travel with violins and archery equipment in both on my back, one shoulder or in my hand, and I would travel with kit on my back any day rather than carry it in my hand or on one shoulder.)

biggoaly likes this.
  4. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

What a lovely image - I suppose you can double up on bows!

biggoaly likes this.
  5. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

:D

biggoaly likes this.
  6. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I found travelling around London with the travel bag last year (national rail and Underground) for the marathon effortless, even when busy as it provided an excellent barge-tool!

biggoaly likes this.
  7. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    I would endorse the travel bag too but just be careful standing on platforms. I saw a young lad with a travel bag on chatting to his mates with his back to the track, completely oblivious of the fact that his whole kit was over the edge of the platform. Train v travel bag = nasty mess especially if attached to person at the time.

biggoaly likes this.
  8. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

I'm another advocate for the travel bag. And I take a rucksack to games too. I wear the Travel bag on my back and the rucksack back to front - on my front. Works well and keeps you balanced :D

I was in east London for 4 years and this method served me well for the last 2 (when I didn't drive)!

biggoaly likes this.
  9. Dak2099

Dak2099 FHF Starter

I vote for the travel bag too. Easier to maneuver by far with the wheelie a close second. I've avoid the carry bag for public transport. I took mine (large sized one) on a flight. It was good at the airport on the trolley but terrible for walking through crowds.

biggoaly likes this.
  10. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

@Dak2099 - This is made much easier if you start to view the general public as pesky attackers. The travel bag then becomes an excellent barging tool!
    My record on one 360 spin was 3 children, a man on crutches, and a nun :p

Dak2099, Hellsbells and biggoaly like this.
  11. biggoaly

biggoaly FHF Newbie

Guys thanks for the input, my Travel Bag arrived on Monday and its brilliant, really easy to carry round, only problem is walking through the door into the school locker room, may have knocked myself over on the first time:p But bar that its quality, Thanks!

Danjmet (GK) likes this.