Grip Tapes Countdown

Discussion in 'Other Gear Questions & Reviews' started by CG14, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Jake Phillips

Jake Phillips FHF Newbie

Does anyone have any recommendations for extra long grips?
    Not really to keen on the price of the Osaka Sex Tape.

#121 Jake Phillips, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. dioncuthbert

dioncuthbert FHF Top Player

Kookaburra chamois is pretty long

3. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
  4. Jake Phillips

Jake Phillips FHF Newbie

Thanks I'll give it a go.

5. CRV

CRV FHF Top Player

I use just bog standard EAB off Amazon as an over grip and I love it! Got 2x5m rolls for a fiver. So could be a cheap and touch friendly option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
  7. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I plan to start rolling a different type of grip into each subscription box (sign up today at bossfhockeybox.co.uk for the low low price of £20) the first box has 2 Gribbid ProGrips which are used by many top level players and is worth £10 by themselves, well worth paying the extra £10 for all the other stuff you can get ;) (shameless plug of my new subscription box service for field hockey equipment shipping worldwide over - well sort of)

I was also thinking once I had some capital behind me I would start selling a one off grip box with one of each type of grip/tape in the box for people to try.

8. dave454

dave454 FHF Legend

My grips are fairly standard- just a Barrington Sports chamois attached with tape at both ends.

However, there is a trick I've started doing recently. I run the stick tape at the top down the grip by about 2 inches. This provides a smoother surface for my top hand when hitting. It also helps keep the tension high at the top of the grip- I usually find the top of a chammy goes a bit loose compared to the rest of the grip when trying to fasten it with tape at the top of the stick.

9. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I have started a subscription model for chamois grips, £10 for 2 grips (includes shipping), £20 for 4 grips and a roll of tape (again shipping included). you can get it either every 6 months or 12 months.
    Use code FHF10 to save 10%. What other grips would you like to see as an option? Im trying to work out how to have a grip box with lots of grips in for people to try.

10. Tiddles

Tiddles FHF Reserve Player

For the leukoband tape what dimensions was the roll of tape you got?

11. Tiddles

Tiddles FHF Reserve Player

For the leukoband tape what dimensions was the roll of tape you got?

12. toonboon

toonboon FHF Reserve Player

#132 toonboon, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. Christian

Christian FHF Top Player

Stick/s:
    JDH x79 Hook-Head Concave
  14. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

Christian, the link you have above is EAB - no.4 in my list.
    Very nice as a grip and extremely popular. It is not the light version. Has a tan line down the middle of tape in your link.

IMG_3610.jpg Leukoband. Real Deal!
    Width I use

Tiddles, I prefer the wider size tapes so not as many wraps / join overlaps but that's individual preference and I guess most people would be happy either width.

IMG_3867.PNG Lite version

#134 CG14, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Christian likes this.
  15. MOFV

MOFV FHF Top Player

@CG14 can you give a brief instruction how to use Leukoband as stick grip? I mean can you explain your way to put in on? Thanks in advance. Regards.

16. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

image.jpeg image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg

These are older photographs that show it reasonably well.

I like Gryphon chubby grip straight on the handle. This is " funny enough " very chunky and not everyone's taste.
    Also I sadly prefer Black under grip as it makes the leukoband look kind of translucent looking and super white. Only aesthetics I know.
    Of course can put over the original grip or whichever undergrip you prefer.

The LEUKOBAND
    I start at the bottom a layers width below the under grip and wrap around twice this first layer so to cover the start line and make a smooth transition to the undergrip.
    Then I work up the way. I go in the same direction as the undergrip. Same as original grip would have been.
    I overwrap the layers slightly (roughly 20% )
    NOTE - I use the wider 7.5cm width Leukoband . Smoother , neater.
    Know people who prefer the 5cm one as it's probably comparible to standard grip / chamois grip width?
    I go up to the top of the handle then over extend it as seen in the second picture
    I use scissors to cut this " tag " down still leaving a little excess which I push down then tap on the floor to flatten.
    I find one layer on top of the Gryphon Chubby suits me well.
    Some people like to start at the top with the Leukoband , go down as far as they desire then come back up and overlap. Know lots of people who do this over the original grip.
    With good quality Leukoband there IS NO NEED to secure the ends as it stays in place well. ( unless you like the different feelings for hand location etc. )
    Of course I know plenty of people who just start at the top of the handle and work down then cut it and do / don't fix with strapping tape. I find this method works better with the poorer quality Elastic Adhesive Bandage, for example the one's with the tan line down the middle.
    With my method I can do 3 sticks with one roll and it would last most people a whole season.
    I like to wet my hands a little after putting it on and smooth down.
    I also suggest not playing with it straight away and leaving it overnight as it seems to help it kind of set into place

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Hope this helps

toonboon, MOFV and Christian like this.
  17. MOFV

MOFV FHF Top Player

@CG14 many thanks for the detailed instruction, the additional tips and the photos, which are very helpful. I think I will go for the "start on top go down and back up"-method on my new stick.

18. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

Glad to be of some help buddy

One more pointer that you probably are aware of.
    If doing the start on top , go down and back up method -
    Go the wrong way from original grip going down so when you get to the bottom it is neat AND COMES BACK UP THE CORRECT WAY i.e same as original grip direction.
    Feels wright and looks better

Can I ask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .What new stick have you went for ?

19. MOFV

MOFV FHF Top Player

Thanks again for the advice. I will definitively bear in mind to go for the right direction for a good feel and look. I think the go down and back up method is right thing to do over the standard grip of a stick.

@CG14 I went for the current Osaka Pro Tour Bronze (Low Bow). Do not want to go too much offtopic but I had quite a hard time to decide if I buy the Bronze or the Gold one and if superlight or light is the right weight. I decided to take the lower bow a light weight.