Gryphon tboo blue steel deuce II

Discussion in 'Other Gear Questions & Reviews' started by Matthias Feskorn, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Matthias Feskorn

Matthias Feskorn FHF Newbie

Hi there around the world,

can anyone tell me some experience about blue steel deuce II 2012 ? Is hitting an stopping more difficult than a normal low bow? I played some weeks with an zoppo xsp with extreme low bow and wasn't really lucky by stopping.
    The stiffness seems to be extreme, can anyone compare with other sticks - kookaburra addict (95% C) for example? Is the stiffness really less than by tour or is it equal - I am looking for experiance and not for answers written like the catalogue of gryphon :confused: - i hope you understand what I meen.
    Many thanks:) for helping answers!!

2. Jammin

Jammin FHF Top Player

3. Rajulicious852

Rajulicious852 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mazon Slingshot XG, Mazon Hook LB
    I'd say this stick has, for some reason, an abnormally large low bow given the rules that we are faced with today. Second to only the Kookaburra Obscene models, but blowing the Grays Jumbow etc out of the water. It's probably more extreme than the Zoppo.

4. John

John FHF Legend

All top end sticks require good basic skills to get the most from. If you struggle to trap the ball with a Zoppo XSP, you will also struggle with the kookaburra phoenix, the blue steel, grays gx10000 etc.

Try the sticks further down the range, it will help your game and save you a bundle of cash.

5. Craig Boyne

Craig Boyne FHF All Time Great

Hitting and trapping isn't going to take too long to adapt to. Obviously when you move to a low bow mould you're going to have to change the way you do things a bit. Generally with this bow you need to have your wrists a bit more forward than usual so that the face of the stick is vertical and you can then hit it flat. The Deuce II mould is the most extreme low bow possible of any sticks that are currently FIH legal.

When comparing stiffness, you'll find that the BlueSteel should be stiffer than any other branded stick. The only stick stiffer is the Gryphon Tour, but some think otherwise as the Tour has a silicon sleeve covering the handle, which acts to reduce the jarring/vibrations that people feel when they don't connect with the ball properly. The BlueSteel is a more raw feel, where you get to feel the ball better, but the stick also lets you know when you're not making the best contact with the ball.

If you're going for more feel give the Taboo Striker a go, a lot more feel than the other taboos/tours, but still enough stiffness to give the Goalkeeper a bit of a headache.

Hope that helps!

steve likes this.
  6. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    There you go! Couldn't said it better than our in-house Gryphon expert

7. Rajulicious852

Stick/s:
    I daresay that some of the top end Brabo's and Voodoo's (e.g TeXtreme F1 and Unlimited) would give the BlueSteel a run for its money in terms of stiffness?

8. Craig Boyne

Brabo is a fair bit under actually, but the Voodoo Unlimmited is close, just more similar in stiffness to the Taboo range

9. PlasticChamp852

PlasticChamp852 FHF Starter

textreme-f1-bol.png textreme-f1-plat.png 30770978.jpg

10. Craig Boyne

You better be hoisting if you want to keep up with the power generated by Gryphon when you're using that!

PlasticChamp852 likes this.
  11. PlasticChamp852

PlasticChamp852 FHF Starter

Which stick from other brands would you say comes closest to the Gryphon Tour in terms of stiffness?

12. Craig Boyne

Nothing that we've ever tested comes close at all. I think Voodoo might be the next stiffest and that is the same stiffness as our Gryphon Taboo range...

13. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

out of interest Craig Boyne, how do you guys measure stiffness? or is that a trade secret?

14. Craig Boyne

We've got a couple of tricks. But the easiest way for us is to place pressure on the stick and record how much the stick pushes back

15. Rajulicious852

Stick/s:
    Is that consistent? And does it get consistently more responsive as you go up the range?

16. Craig Boyne

Yeah it's pretty accurate through the ranges. Taboo Striker has probably the most feel (less stiff), which is a really good stick for making the transition from other brands. Then it moves up a notch to Taboo, then BlueSteel and finally Tour. Pretty segmental in stiffness between the groups.

17. Rajulicious852

Stick/s:
    Haha I love how you substituted the term "softer sticks" for "other brands"!

Interesting. I had a go with a Grays O Tech 9000 today and it was pretty scary to say the least!