Hockey Death

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Kiri, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Kiri

Kiri

Has anyone ever died playing hockey?
    I have assumed so, since i have seen very serious injuries happen however have not actually heard of anyone dying. Has anyone else heard of a hockey related death?

2. zombie

zombie

Wasn't there a girl who died a while back playing hockey because she had a heart defect and the exertion of playing caused her heart to stop?

Other than that, I haven't heard of a death in the game from an injury caused by it. There's certainly the potential for it though. I can't see someone stopping a hard shot on goal with their head (not a GK) and surviving.

3. Rocket

Rocket

I heard a story ages back that I young lad took a very hard hit ball in the heart area and had a heart attack. Fortunately there was a doctor playing who saved his life. This may be a bit of an urban myth though?

An English player got hit in the throat in an international against Pakistan didnt he (Pearn???) and one of the pakistani's was a doctor who did a tracheotomy (spelling) on him? These facts might not be quite right but thats roughly what I heard.

Rocket

4. RushMan

RushMan FHF Legend

Unfortunately deaths have occured from a result of playing hockey

Two that I know of directly...
    1983.. A classmate from school was playing seniors, the ball lifted of the keeper's kickers and hit him in the throat. He managed to make it to casulty but they couldn't do anything for him.

2007.. Veterans Tournament in the Goldcoast, one of the Tasmanian Over 50's passed away on the field.
    One of the hardest moments of my life...Still not sure why it hit me so hard as I did not know the gentleman. I guess it made me contemplate my own mortality.

Never nice to discuss death, but hockey is a dangerous game played by people with weapons.

I guess if I can go out doing something that I love then that would be a plus.

5. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

bit of a curious question for a first post... but welcome Kiri :)

I do not know of an hockey-related deaths (fortunately I would say) :eek:oh:

6. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I know of three in Ireland, one international and two school boys. Not sure of all the details but they are remembered by cups being named after them.

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF Legend Staff Member

Most of the right letters, just not in the right order Rocket! It was Craig Parnham. One of the nicest guys in top level hockey. Luckily he has made a full recovery from what was a potentially fatal injury.

8. Hargo14

Hargo14

Whenever we get taught about not tackling from the right side behind of a player we usually hear a story of a person who got hit by a backswing and died as a result. I'm not sure whether it is an urban myth but you never like to ask.

H

9. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator Staff Member

Young lad I used to play with got hit in the chest with a stick during a top of the D melee. Heart stopped but doctor on oppo team did CPR and bought him back. AFAIK he has never played again as unfortunatley his brain was starved of oxygen for quite a while. I can't remember who the umpire was but it might have been cardhappy from another forum, it certainly was a forum member of one of the active forums.
    We also had an umpire had a heart attack during a match, but thankfully he made a full recovery!!

10. Kiri

Kiri

well my curiosity for the question started when often finding myself on post while ball are being lifted inches above my head. while talking to a high level goalie on the topic i realised exactly how dangerous hockey can be as he told me the injuries he has inflicted on others including: 22 stitches across face and 20% loss of vision (goalie stick across a mans face), a fractured skull and 16 stitches (kicked ball went into a guys forehead), 4 broken ribs and snapped a bone in arm (slide tackle), broken leg + 2 broken ribs and femur broken in 4 places (slide tackle). those are all injuries that this one goalie has caused. he also told me that one of his friend goalies had to have one testicle amputated after the ball hit him in the groin and completely crushed and split one testicle :eek: (not exactly the kind of thing you want to be telling to promote new hockey recruits).

11. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

wow he has quite the gruesome history that gk. I don't think I've inflicted more injuries than some scrape burns and a couple of bruises.

12. Jerome_LOU_HOCKEY

Jerome_LOU_HOCKEY FHF Legend

Recently in a school near Lyon, a kid that had heart insufficiency died during a hockey lesson... :(

13. Rocket

Rocket

It appears that there are more deaths due to pre-existing (and unknown about) conditions and pre-existing injuries in conjunction with injury rather than from injury alone. Which is a good thing it would appear.

In other more dangerous sports the injury alone based deaths are higher than those due to pre-existing conditions.

rocket

14. Kiri

Kiri

I agree with you Rocket. I am very surprised actually that this is the case, i would have thought there would be more game related deaths. Personally i believe that hockey is one of the most dangerous team sports, or at least it certainly has the potential to be. Yeah and that goalie i mentioned earlier, at training sessions if he is coming in for a slide tackle (all 105kg of him) i make sure i'm not in his path!

15. philthy

philthy FHF Legend

Yes, hockey has the potential to be horrifically dangerous - but because of that, I think players have more respect for each other, obey the rules more and generally "play safer" than they might do otherwise, because of the potential for serious injury if it's done wrong.

16. dragflicker

dragflicker

today, on a friendly match, i was trying to stop the short corner variation hit, and the ball went straight to my head....and i am still surviving....hope you do understand

17. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF Legend

the most injuries I have caused is scrapes and bruises apart from saving the ball on the line, ball pops up and chins my defender KO'ing him and knocking out 2 teeth. I even offered to pay for the denist bill I felt so bad, but was covered by insurance!

Generally a ball isn't raised into a player its just one of those things that can happen the same as you can crash a car and you can die on a toilet seat!

I think on the whole the sport is played by people with a bit of common sense (yes I even include the forwards in that!) and balls that can cause harm are rare!

18. Kiri

Kiri

Did you go to hospital in an ambulance? Usually when someone gets hit in the head with a ball they are knocked unconscious at least. I agree with zombie in that I have seen a shot shatter a goalie mask and have personally hit a ball hard enough to split a wooden goalpost in two from top to bottom. So I am survived that you are writing a post on the same day you got hit in the head by the ball, unless it was only a soft shot that hit you?

19. philthy

philthy FHF Legend

i've been ambulanced off twice

to my eternal shame!

20. Snoody

Snoody FHF Legend

But surely that's because you've got a thing for uniforms, Philthy...

Worst I've seen, thankfully, is "only" broken ankles, fingers, noses, teeth knocked out etc.
    Was at a pitch, though didn't witness, when a fella got a ball to the Adam's apple. A doc on the scene was about to perform an emergency trachiotomy with a Coke can ring-pull (that was a fair while ago) and a biro until the victim recovered enough to be able to breathe.