Hockey Shoe Designs... are they good enough?

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by TheHockeyFamily, May 5, 2017.

1. TheHockeyFamily

TheHockeyFamily FHF Newbie

Hi All,

We have been pondering over this for a long time and wanted your views on the subject.

We am not sure you would agree but we find that some new hockey shoes that are out there are more of a fashion statement rather than having adequate protection... Hockey shoes have come a long way but do you think they provide good protection? If not what needs to be changed. Don't get us wrong we think they have better protection than football astros, which some people still used on a hockey pitch... ouch!! If you think they are good then do let us know your favourites and why!

Your thoughts we would really be appreciated.

Team THF

AbuSaahilHockey likes this.
  2. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

I'm not so sure, a lot of people who I know (including myself) choose not to wear hockey shoes - Adidas trail runners are the shoe of choice due to their grip and very light build, and personally, getting injured is a risk I'm willing to take, and this is clearly true of others who I play with. I probably won't go back to wearing protective hockey shoes until they are less like bricks, and lighter like the shoes I use now. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think shoes need to have more protection, they just need the protection they do have to be far less clunky.

3. TheHockeyFamily

TheHockeyFamily FHF Newbie

So you would like them to be lighter... do you not think that some of them are light at the moment... the new Adidas and JDH, Kookaburra ones look like they could be light, much like the trail ones you might be using but again don't look as though they have much adequate. We also find that the stiffness in the bottom/grip/sole area sometimes restricts movement.

4. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF Legend

The whole protection argument is flawed - if you get hit on the foot with a hockey ball its likely that it going to hurt, regardless of the footwear you wear.

If you're lucky, the ball hits you in a less painful area of the foot; but taking one square on the toes (or top of the foot), you're going to feel it!

my preference in a hockey shoe goes in this order

Grip (on all surfaces)
    Weight (lighter the better)
    Support (only if this does not affect the weight too much)
    Protection (not really a consideration)

Design and durability are a factor for most too.

dhiggins likes this.
  5. HWNews

HWNews FHF Newbie

As mentioned in the response above, we are seeing more and more players wearing the Salomon Trail Runner shoes. The are both lightweight and comfortable whilst offering high grip on all surfaces, with the added bonus of looking good.

6. Stikklebrik

Stikklebrik FHF Starter

I would agree with HWN as well. We see more and more players in our area (West) playing in Salomon Speedcross shoes all the time. I have for years in fact as they're light and superb grip. Pretty much no protection but then again I don't try to get hit to test it out.....

7. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Star Player

I currently own adipowers, have had Asics shoes, and a pair of trail runners (Which I thought were not very good at all) and the adipowers are my favourite that I've ever had. In terms of protection, the main thing I find is that my toes are well protected, and they also provide very good ankle support. Just my opinion. Oh and I think they look awesome.

8. sammzib

sammzib FHF Star Player

Most important thing is always grip, getting hit on the foot hurts, but (touch wood) I've never been injured from it! I used adistars for a season, adipowers for two and now use the Adidas lux, but have seen an increased use of Salomon shoes in the last season

9. dave454

dave454 FHF Legend

I always like to find a good middle ground. I prefer my feet to feel like they have at least some protection, as long it's not at the cost of too much weight. I never got on with Asics Typhoon's for that reason- they felt too heavy and clunky.

On the other hand, I've always found trail shoes to be lacking in both protection and support. I used to have a pair of Adidas TR7s, but stopped using them after a few months. A lot of the shoe is made out of thin mesh/fabric, so any hit to the foot hurt like hell. They also had very little ankle support, something I really noticed when making quick changes in direction.

I'm currently using Adidas Lux's, and they're by far and a way the best shoes I've ever had. Light, supportive, extremely comfortable and with a decent degree of protection.