Hockey Shoes

Discussion in 'Other Gear Questions & Reviews' started by BossFHockey, Aug 18, 2017.

1. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    So there are a lot of new hockey shoes appearing on the market recently and it got me wondering a few things.
    • What shoes do people wear?
    • How long should shoes last?
    • How much are you willing to pay for shoes?
    • What is most important to you when looking at shoes?

2. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    Hey BossF. I think this has been discussed lots of times on various posts, but to give you my point of view
    Have worn predominately Adidas Kanadias for the past few years, however last year I used the Adidas Zone Dox and this year I've made the switch to Salomon Speedcross Varios (I paid £50 for them in the sale)

Personal opinion is they should last at least 2 years.

£50/60/70 depending on VFM. Happy to pay more if I'm getting more. I.e. for a Goretex version of a shoe for the additional water resistance.

Weight (light as possible), Grip (grippy as possible in all weathers and surfaces), Price and Looks. Protection is not a concern for me.

I think Adidas are taking the mick with their top of the range shoes. The 'spikey' grip pattern that wears away in half a season and the £100+ price point is a joke! However, they must be selling boat loads as they look good and they're the shoe to have at the moment. Asics are equally taking the mick with the Typhoon 3s. They've basically just released a new version of the old Neo's, changed the name to Typhoons and hiked the price up!! :mad:

BossFHockey likes this.
  3. Christian

Christian FHF Top Player

Stick/s:
    JDH x79 Hook-Head Concave
    I'm wearing the Asics Lethal Elite 6's, I had the Salomon Speedcross 3's in the past which were amazing on grass but as soon as I started playing on turf they flattened out losing all their grip. The Lethal Elite 6's are great for comfort and agility on turf and I look at myself getting them again if my current ones break or the Asics Gel Typhoon 3's. That or if the JDH ones are good I'd get those.
    At least a year, if they don't last very long then they're not very good shoes in my opinion, it means they obviously haven't been built with all aspects of hockey in mind including durability. If it doesn't cover everything equally I don't like it e.g. the Salomons, they were great for comfort but their durability was horrid.
    Depends how much the nicest looking Asics is ;)
    Comfort, Weight, Durability, Grip, Flexibility(is it too stiff or not) and of course looks.

4. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

* What shoes do people wear?
    Asics neos (2016) right now. Can't wear Adidas as their shoes are very narrow for me

* How long should shoes last?
    I expect about a season of use out pair of shoes. Training twice a week and a match.

* How much are you willing to pay for shoes?
    Ideally around £60, always by shoes in the end of season sale. Happy to pay up to £80 (Do this with running shoes), but charging over £100 is a bit of a piss take.

* What is most important to you when looking at shoes?
    Toe protection, decent grip and comfort. Asics tick all these boxes for me, just a shame their new designs are terrible.

Christian likes this.
  5. sammzib

sammzib FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Y1 LB 90, Y1 i1 Wood
    What do I wear?
    Adidas Adizero 2017/18 (previously adistar, adipower 2, adipower 2, adidas lux)

How long should they last?
    at least 1 season

How much am I willing to pay?
    up to £140

What is most important to me?
    Grip, design and quality, I will be sticking with adidas as their quality has impressed me for the last 5 seasons since I started using them

I disagree entirely with @FastForward24 's view on the top line adidas shoes, the grip is great and long lasting - in my experince

#5 sammzib, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. Christian

Christian FHF Top Player

Stick/s:
    JDH x79 Hook-Head Concave
    I know, Asics past hockey shoes looked great like the Asics Lethal 6's Yellow and the Typhoons but now I think their trying too hard

7. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    Fair enough. It would be interesting to see how you get on this season though. More than happy to be proven wrong, however all team mates that have had last years Lux or Adizeros were changing them just after the Xmas due to grip issues (we play on a mix of sand based, sand dressed and water)

Could you update us through the season? How many times a week do you play and on what surface/s?

sammzib likes this.
  8. sammzib

sammzib FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Y1 LB 90, Y1 i1 Wood
    Yep, can do

usually its like this:
    Monday: Uni training on water
    Tuesday: Club coaching on sand based
    Wednesday: Uni game (home games on water, away on whatever they have) then training at club on sand based
    Friday: Uni Training on water
    Saturday: Club game usually sand
    Sunday: Coaching and/or Club cup game, depends on where we are playing, home- sand based

however at the moment it's pre-season so its just club training Monday and Wednesday on sand

9. CRV

CRV FHF Top Player

So I wear Saloman Speedcross Varios now (game changer for me) used to wear adidas but always had to wear men's shoes as women's too narrow but I found that given the price I was paying for the adiddas even in the sales they weren't last particularly well and their support seemed to collapse.

I would like to think I should be able to get two full seasons out a shoe. At the rate I'll be playing and coaching this season I wouldn't complain at a season and a half.

£70-75, but I'll spend what I need for a good pair of shoes which will minimise injury risk

Most important is comfort and support, I have strange arches so flat shoes cause me knee issues. Then the weight of the shoe, the flexibility and the durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Spanky

Spanky FHF Starter

* What shoes do people wear?
    Adidas FabelaX and Adidas Adizero (Rio edition).

* How long should shoes last?
    I'm looking to get a season out of a pair of shoes. Just like running trainers I believe they should be replaced when they start to lose their shock absorption. That said I do think the price of hockey shoes is starting to get stupid.

* How much are you willing to pay for shoes?
    Ideally between £75 -£100 but have spent more recently on the FabelaX as the Boost foam was worth it.

* What is most important to you when looking at shoes?
    Decent grip, comfortable and have to look nice.

sammzib likes this.
  11. Paddy2712

Paddy2712 FHF Newbie

are the dita LGHT 700 foot glove shoes any good?

12. asc1991

asc1991 FHF Top Player

Also just bought some Adidas Kanadias - but never known or seen another hockey player to. Fantastic grip and they look awesome!

13. Julian Gagnier

Julian Gagnier FHF Legend

If I recall correctly, we've recommended the Kanadias a few times... it was like 2 years ago. Good to hear that you're liking them! They were on my list to try, back when I couldn't find a decent pair of turf shoes here in the US.

14. asc1991

asc1991 FHF Top Player

They're such a good price too, especially as the price of hockey gear seems to have rocketed in recent years. Mine were about £28 (correction, £38) on Amazon.

#14 asc1991, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. toonboon

toonboon FHF Reserve Player

That's so cheap :eek:

16. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

They seem reasonable, and have had ok feedback on them. They're not for me though, I don't like that extra collar (the 'footglove') around the ankle.

17. asc1991

asc1991 FHF Top Player

Oops. I did just check and it was £38. I'll amend my comment. Currently they're around the £40-50 mark. IMO far better than Speedcross, at nearly half the price.

These are the ones I have, got the last pair of 9.5, now cheapest are £50. Adidas just have great prices on random sizes.

http://amzn.eu/gy7RoZF

18. toonboon

toonboon FHF Reserve Player

I'll have to keep an eye out on then. My current speedcross 4 are amazeballs but they won't last me longer than a season, which is expensive at their rate. Hope to try these out some day soon so I know what to go for next!

19. Jasper Williams

Jasper Williams FHF Newbie

I had a set of new balance minus trail v2 which were great just not quite stiff enough for acceleration and turning but geat for running around

20. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

IMG_6039.PNG

New colour Typhoon 3 just released in AUS