How often do you get hit in the groin?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by ichiro, Sep 21, 2007.

?
  1. Once a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A few times a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Once a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ichiro

ichiro FHF Newbie

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

its a few times per year maybe one time every 2 months or something sometimes much more ofthen

3. Twisted92

Twisted92 FHF Regular Player

Had a close encounter on Tuesday, almost took a rather hard hit. JUST managed to move. Still got a slight clip on the inside of the leg. Lucky escape :)

I manage to get hit more in training than matches because I play Div 6 Surrey Open League, so it's on the floor, or luckly lifted, lol.
    But, the more you get hit there, the more it will encourage you to get better reactions, lol

4. garli

garli FHF Staff

I voted once a month, but that might be too often.

It's rare enough so that when it happens I'll make a joke about it. Generally quoting Ron Burgendy "Right in the baby maker!"

5. Barny

Barny FHF Starter

I get it rarely got it 3 times other week when warming up before match 2 was just to side of box leaving to nice red marks for everyone to laugh at in showers and one was a direct box hit.

6. Hargo14

Hargo14 FHF Regular Player

Roughly once a month. Need to get some new shorts and box...got a really soft but direct hit and and still couldn't get up for a while :p

7. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Not very often, I'm quite good at getting my LHP there.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on abdo guards though.

In the past I've hated them; they just seem far too bulky and cumbersome (used a Gryphon for 1 match - far too unwieldly). As I rarely take a shot there for the past few years I've ditched them and just worn what you'd call a jock strap with a buit in box/cup. As far as I could tell it offers the same minimum protection as guards but with less padding where it isn't needed so much.

However, last week at training I was 1 on 1 with a forward and just trying to stay big and upright, tracking round.....the sod somehow thought he could score by lifting into me!

Didn't have much pace but still hurt far more than it should've As a result I bought a TK GX1+ abdo guard and it feels like it offers much more protection and is the best abdo I've worn, but nowhere near as comfy as my trusty old strap - trouble is I still find them too bulky (enough of the "try filling them" gags already!), to the point of interfering with my ready position.

Am I the only person that finds them awkward, or do I wear them wrong?!

8. garli

garli FHF Staff

Well, I've only worn the version for girls, and I don't have a problem with them.

9. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Jonty, it all takes some time to get used to.

Try getting a fieldie to wear the 'beloved' jock strap for a while, he will probably tell you it's uncomfortable. You just get used to it. Of course, abdo guards are not and probably won't ever be the most comfortable part of your equipment, but hey it's a pretty valuable piece of equipment ;)

10. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Garli - I don't have a problem with girls either - but back on topic...... ;)

Braxer - I guess I'd never looked at it that way, nor stuck with them long enough to give them a proper chance

11. doogie

doogie FHF Regular Player

errr... 2 days ago (on wednesday), ran out slid and took a full shot from bout 50cm away square in the groin, got up cleared the ball then realised what happened and was very happy that i was wearin my groin guard

12. ichiro

ichiro FHF Newbie

So, it seems like that everyone gets hit a few times a year there. I also think abdo guards are too bulky so wear a simple white one. I've heard that even some international goalkeepers wear a jock strap.

One more question. When I got a direct shot in the groin, everyone laughed at me. I did the same thing before becoming keeper but wonder why people tend to laugh at a keeper who suffers from pain.

13. GoaliesXrule

GoaliesXrule FHF Legend

Because it's funny untill they're the one thats in pain.

14. Lord Noel

Lord Noel FHF Regular Player

I love my abdo guard i barely feel it when i get hit there and it happens about once a month to me. The only time it really hurts is if the ball comes up under the box, that hurts lots

15. gk_viper

gk_viper FHF Regular Player

i hate my abdo guard. its bulky and when i put on my obo shorts it like bulges out. quite unattractive. what brands do you fellow lady keepers use? i use the obo one - although it is bulky, it does offer good protection.

16. zombie

zombie FHF Regular Player

I don't think I've taken a shot there at all this season. Maybe a couple of times last season though. I guess it just doesn't happen to me much at all, judging from what other people have said in the thread.

I've come pretty close this season though. A forward was in the circle a couple of metres away from me and he hit a bouncing ball in the air like a cricket shot :eek:. It hit me a few inches above my cup, but everyone thought it had struck me in the cup as my body armour has plastic plates in it so it made the same sound.

17. jaitch

jaitch FHF Regular Player

i use an old obo one (it looks different from their recent ones - its pretty basic but is very strong). i bought a new one because i realised mine was probably past it, went obo again, but i really didnt like it - found it so bulky and uncomfortable. i know i didnt really give it much of a chance, but ended up back with my old one. :sorry:

18. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Well, wonder why you used to do it yourself, and you'll know the answer I suppose :)

19. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

i use the old obo robo groinguard and i saw the new one in russia the one with 2 cups it looks super bulky and is it proved that 2 cups is better than one?

20. garli

garli FHF Staff

Are you sure it hadn't been modded?