How's everyone's seasons going?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by broadstone, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ScottishDonald

ScottishDonald FHF Legend

I can understand why you feel that might be iffy but I disagree entirely with the statement that the umpire cost you the win, as overall it seemed a fair game with both teams having chances to score and if your team doesn't take their chances then how can you blame anyone else?
    Also, I personally think PC is a safe option in that situation for a few reasons, its a crowded D with a lot going on and there's a collision where the umpire may very well struggle to see what happened. Yes he should in a better spot but its not national league hockey and he's there making sure you guys can play your game, not to mention that if you can only nitpick about one incident from the match, it would seem he did alright the rest of the time. :)
    Also on the collision, it just seems a bit off for me watching it, instead of moving the most direct route forward to the ball, you sorta diagonally side step forward and to your left which puts you in the same line as the forward who you have a tussle with, I'd have no issue with an umpire blowing a PC against me for that as he's doing his job and making a decision on a 50/50 that you could sell either way.

2. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

Had my last game of the season yesterday. Had 8, 2 guys dropped out night before and the team above (in the same league, and who I've doubled up for numerous times) didn't give us anyone despite not having a game all weekend. Only guy who came was because I asked myself and I know him.

Got called as a concede and the oppo gave us some players and we played a really enjoyable friendly match. I also had a really good game making a few class saves which drew praise from both sides. Even got MOM to top it off. A real hard look need some to be taken about whether or not we can field the team next year, as playing a season where you have 11 players for less than 50% of the season is ridiculous.

All in all been a rollercoaster of a first season in goal for me. The club president said he was surprised and proud that I'd stuck by and seen the season through and not throwing in the towel. But I think I've got enough potential that with a couple years of training and practice I can be a viable choice of keeper. So here's to the next few years, hopefully with a better goal difference than -141!

3. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

Oh and also thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement, you guys helped me to keep going and get through the season.

ScottishDonald and Chris Flatt like this.
  4. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Good stuff chap other than the club mess around. That needs sorted.

Glad though to see a club just cracking on rather than crying off.

5. Waxy

Waxy FHF Legend

6 - 3 win at the weekend, disappointed with my own performance but a win is a win. In better news, 1st and 3rd drew in their head to head. Which means that if we win our last 3 games of the season then we win the league and get automatic promotion up to Kent / Susssex 2 div. And the first team standing in the way of this.... our very own mr @Cuddles on Saturday.

6. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    I've been in this situation and it's hard - a lot of doubling-up had to happen just to keep going. Yet when the club were finally on the point of dropping a team at the AGM, somebody popped up and brought all his old mates back to make the team fully viable again!

7. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Played my last match of the season yesterday - club derby, 3s vs 4s. The last time these teams played it was 9:0 to the 2s. I played 4s, and we managed to keep it down to 2:0 (I didn't have to do too much). 1st goal was iffy - their CF ran in front of me just as I was about to step forward and smother... couldn't move fast enough to get back behind the ball. Slightly annoyed, and more so that loads of the girls didn't know obstructing the keeper isn't allowed! Second goal was a well timed deflection that I couldn't do much about. Oppo right forward did half my job for me, stopping two shots with her foot/leg :D.
    Despite one of the umpires being the girlfriend of the oppo keeper, there was no bias, and it was generally a very good match from both sides (except a bit of gob from the oppo right back... half the pitch, including their captain, told her to shut up). It was a great way to end the season, with both teams piling off to the pub for Sunday roast/steak/burger.

8. AKenworthy

AKenworthy FHF Newbie

Yeah I missed the stroke

There wasn't just 1 bad call from that umpire, there were a couple before, including him not spotting the defender stopping the ball on the line with his leg which was seen by the other umpire who was the other end of the pitch.

All in all we should have buried our chances in the first half and not had the mid second half collapse we had, 3 points should have been easily secured

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Just logged into my tracking...

The free kit OBO are supplying for marathon running.... Held awaiting customs charges. Ffs.

10. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Regular Player

I can speak to my sister who I help run South Bucks HC ladies (and I play for mens side) as she has several contacts in those areas.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  11. MunchkinGK

Thanks! I think one of my old full backs played for them a few years ago. At the moment they're a bit far but any contact would be nice and I'd probably make more effort for the right club.

12. Emmo

Emmo FHF Newbie

Hey @MunchkinGK, we're in Herts, happy to provide details of our club if you're interested?

13. Cuddles

Cuddles FHF Top Player

Hate to think we might stand in your way @Waxy but a man's got to do, what a man's got to do!

Looking forward to it, and hopefully will give you a good game. We have been playing much better this half of the season although a meltdown against Blackheath & OE the week before didn't help.

See you on Saturday!

14. MunchkinGK

Yes please!

Thanks

15. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

First competitive hockey for a few years last night. 6 aside outdoor league.
    Won 2-0 in the first game guesting for Abu Dhabi. Went down hill after that for my own team Dubai Masters. Lost 6-2 and 7-0. Not good to go with a veterans team with only 1 sub when your younger opponents have lots of subs (first team we played had around 10 subs). Got a nice souvenir from the evening though.

Attached Files:

Goalie64 likes this.
  16. LinnieBear

LinnieBear FHF Star Player

well this week they have ellie with injured shoulder playing 2 games haha XD hope derby find a way to make their new goalie situation work

17. LinnieBear

Its been a while since I posted here, last thing you guys knew was I decided to Quit my current club Derby. I have stuck by my guns and I am so happy I did. One of the clubs interested in me is a mixed team and I found out they are really nice, funny and we have banter!! I got invited to games, training and socials already and I wasn't even part of the club :O

I took them up on the social offer and after they saw me drink I had to explain why some people call me the Russian XD I really think this could be a new club for me as they made me enjoy just being a part of a team again! I have also had invites to play for them in their summer leagues :D Seen them play hockey and they work amazingly together whilst still laughing on the pitch.. maybe found my new team :D Even if it is just training with them, they are closer to where I live and can have a laugh.

18. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Mixed hockey really is so enjoyable all round (even organising) than men's and I'd guess (I'm not a woman) ladies Saturday league stuff. Given the way the DHC seasons have gone... It's one of the major success stories this season.

Our keeper situation, we'll that's our clubs issue to deal with I guess. It's great to read you're back enjoying your hockey again. :)

#3618 murph, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Michael Byrne likes this.
  19. LinnieBear

Its not just how you treat keepers.. its that and how ladies side treat all new people ... we are outcasts

20. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

It's something to look at and I think some are aware hopefully we make improvements.

Right now I think most of the club can't wait for hockey to end!