How's everyone's seasons going?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by broadstone, Oct 21, 2012.

1. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

Had a run out against Monkstown in the cup. 3-2 loss, but against a team littered with internationals, so I'm not overly disappointed. I played a stormer, with a lot of decent 1 v 1 saves. I'm struggling to go low stick side on corners at the moment (though strangely not off shots) and had one squeeze in there which I'm annoyed about and need to try cut out. But nice to know the form is returning after a torrid first half of the season. Huge game in the promotion race tomorrow now too, hoping I can keep it going and get what would be a massive 3 points. I'm officially back excited about playing.

2. James0510

James0510 FHF Newbie

Try the hi control RHP if you want to as despite a smaller saving area it is far superior in keeping the stick low and many international keepers like Maddie Hinch use it for shuffles as they can keep the stick low down. Glad if I could help good luck in promotion

3. Xocnai

Xocnai FHF Top Player

4-0 defeat away at a Uni team whose average age was easily 15 years below ours. C'est la vie.

4. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Thick mist for the whole of the game - I have no clue as to what happened for most of the match - I think I heard us score seven and they managed one back (I think)......

5. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Top Player

Good 4-2 win in the cold and rain today.
    Goals from 2 short corners going through my left post man... oh well.
    Made few nice saves.... glad to be home and dry now.

6. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Won 6-2 which was nice.

Should have been 6-0 but we aren't quite mature enough to keep things safe at the back.

7. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

3-0 loss, one of those with 11 field players. We were poor. Had a lot of chances but didn't stick any away. Also let them through 1 v 1 about 6 times over the course of the match which was far from clever. Got a little unlucky with the second, slid for a baseline pullback that was about 2 inches off the ground, and it hit the top of the hook of my stick and redirected in. Little impressed that angle was physically possible tbh.

8. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

1 - 1 draw for us against bottom of the table. Started well but their keeper played a blinder. Must have made 15 or 20 saves in the game. We had our usual 10 minute shut down where we seem to give games away. Felt like a defeat and very frustrating. Their Goal came from an attacker just outside the D being marked by 3 defenders. They had him closed down and his only option was a player on the baseline to my right. I stepped to cover the pass and all 3 defenders dropped off him at the same time, he did a 180 and put put it in the bottom left from top D. I got within a few inches of it......

9. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    Lost 2-1. We had a good side out but the opposition were equally strong, and we didn't play well in the first half.

Annoying first goal; loose ball heading towards the D with one of their players chasing it. Where I needed to meet it was about 2 metres outside the D, but the opposition player was too close to go for that with a stick. So I met it at the edge of the D, got a stick to it but it came up and hit my helmet and bounced over, where another opposition player beat my two defenders to the ball. Damn.

10. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    Just turned down a game on Sunday. Think I have lost the love.....:(

11. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

My appointment with the orthopaedic's team got cancelled and pushed back another month. Suffice to say I'm really struggling with this no hockey thing, gonna have to see if I can knudge myself back into goal without an ACL. Heading down tomorrow to watch my club play a few games though.

12. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

@Badger666 - I know it sucks but that is a seriously bad idea. You will end up not being able to walk, let alone play. Best thing to do is get another hobby that keeps you involved. When I was out I took up photography and photo'd a lot of games. Or see if there's a youth squad you can help coach the goalie there.

13. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

Game today was mad. 15 goal thriller that we won 8 - 7. Most fun I've had in ages. They scored after 20 seconds, and we equalised 10 seconds after that. I faced two flicks, both which went in (one I dived the wrong way, the second one I headbutted as I dived but it deflected in). Most of the goals were two on 1's or 1 on 1's. I made a ton of saves as did their keeper. I didnt play brilliantly - felt I could have kept it to 4 or 5 - but the match was just so hectic it was hard to get in the swing. Made a few sets of 3 back to back saves.

Felt much more like a tour game than anything else; but hey, we got the win and I left exhausted. What more can I ask for....

LinnieBear likes this.
  14. LinnieBear

LinnieBear FHF Star Player

Just played the 2nd of our really tough opposition games. Lost 4-0.

Personally I didn't feel like I played very well especially after how I played the week before, but my team turned up 30mins later for our meet time and then were slow to warm up... needless to say a lot of mistakes were made this week. Also my left back wont listen to me and my defenders aren't used to a keeper they can trust so they keep standing in my line of view no matter what I do... any advice on this visual blocking issue?

Somehow got man of the match though (the opposition award the man of the match in our league) don't feel it is deserved but at least I have stuff to improve on.

bigdave1981 likes this.
  15. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    Good 3-1 win in the away leg of our local derby game. I made a number of crucial saves so I can consider I contributed to our win, and in particular I got all the 1 on 1s 100% right this week! As a team we played our best hockey of the season so far.

LinnieBear likes this.
  16. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Top Player

Good 7-0 win in local derby... made few saves including a double save at the end of thr 1st half. Now time to ice the shoulder and relax lol

LinnieBear likes this.
  17. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

11-1 victory , didn’t feel like a win ......

18. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Heavy cold, cold late afternoon, nothing to do until a PC in the last minute....you could hear my legs creak as I stuck out a tentative toe.... 1-0 win!

19. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

@LinnieBear - I have had that issue before. If your defenders stand in your way and shouting doesn't work then a good hard wack in the side with your stick can. This isn't an exaggeration either, I have literally hit my defender in the ribs to move them. Do that once and they soon listen to verbal commands rather than physical.
    If thats a bit over the top then bringing it up in the half time talk (or pulling your defenders aside seperatly pre game) can help. Also during training get some time with them defending for you and practice telling them what to do. It will help them listen in a game.

20. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

Huge win against top of the league. I'm back playing the sort of level that makes me a big asset to the side, and we're right back in the playoff hunt. Just need to win out the rest of the season and mount the pressure on the top. EYHL hockey is still on the cards.

I've started putting in an extra hour a week of pure keeper sessions, and it's making a monumental difference. Feels worth putting the time in. Unfortunately now been barred from playing outfield hockey, but I can live with that.