IMHT - Hong Kong October 2009

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Feral, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Feral

Feral FHF Regular Player

Does any one have any details of the International Masters Hockey Tournament scheduled for 2009?

From a conversation I had recently in Darwin, NT, I understand that there may be a shortage of Umpires.

2. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Re: IMHT - Hong Kong September 2009

Judging by previous tournaments your at least 13 months early for information !! - I wouldn't understand how anyone could say anything about a shortage of umpires this far out

3. Feral

Feral FHF Regular Player

Thats exactly what I thought. None the less I'm planning on going to HK even if its only as a spectator.

4. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Hopefully now that FIH are approving the tournaments they will grow. HK should attract a good range of countries, certainly more attractive destination than Birmingham last year (no offence to any Midlanders but ..!)

5. Ireland40Vets

Ireland40Vets FHF Starter

Hi Feral / OTSS

Ireland over 40 + over 50 have received invite to this tournament and we are currently investigating the possibilities of getting both squads to HKG. We had various discussions with the other home nations at the recent 4 Nations tournament in Edinburgh and it looks likely that Scotland and England will also be attending. Wales are in the same position as ourselves and are looking at the costs etc.

If anyone can give me some more information on the tournament it would be much appreciated.

Sam

6. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Sorry can't help you at this stage our National's aren't happening until February so doubt we will hear anything before then. If anything does come up will let you know . I'm surprised the English, Scots and Welsh knew nothing as they all played in Birmingham last year. Need to find out who there rep on the Masters Council is

7. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

does anyone have contact info for the tournament organisers to see about the possibility of entering a USA team?

thanks
    peter jones

8. otss

otss FHF Top Player

I'll try and find out in next few days and post on here. Would be great to have a wide range of teams go to HK. What age group would you be looking a Peter ?

9. Ireland40Vets

Hi Peter - the guy you need to contact is Neil Greene and he is the Administration Manager for the International Masters Hockey Association. The contact in Hong Kong and head of the HNOC (Host Nation Organising Committee) is Nick Hunsworth. I will send you their emails shortly via IM.

10. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

appreciate the email contacts. I think the USA would have the greatest chance of putting together a 40+ team, that might have a few 50+ to ensure we had sufficient numbers of players of the required quality. i think we might be a little thin on the ground to do both teams.

Peter

11. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Peter, its hard to guage but the standard is reasonably high. I think if you had 50+ players playing in the 40+ they would struggle with the pace. Last year in Birmingham the Italians took a mixed age team and got smashed in every game, not a lot of fun for both teams especially when goal difference can matter so its not like anyone could take it easy on them.Will be great if you get a 40+ team together.

12. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

thanks for the warning. we will see what we can get together. because of our limited player base, all older players have to keep playing in "open" age leagues anyway, so that at least means you have to keep up with a fast game.

which countries came out on top in the 40s in Birmingham?

13. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Australia beat New Zealand 3-1 in the final - long way to go to play your neighbours !!!

14. gedda

gedda FHF Newbie

Well being that I am in the Aus over 40's team to go to HK '09, I would hope that there are plenty of teams who would be wanting to attend.

15. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Did you play in Hamilton this year ? When was your team picked afte darwin - We heard a lot of the guys who played in the Trans Tasman weren't going to Darwin therefore wouldn't be picked - is that true ?

16. gedda

gedda FHF Newbie

No I didn't go to NZ as I was too young when that team was selected in '07 as are a couple of other players in the currently selected team. Some of the team from NZ are not going as they didn't attend Darwin, that is correct. e.g. Shane Gesch, Ash Grummet. But I think you'll find that most of the team is pretty similiar. But I think that you'll find it as a pretty decent side.

17. otss

otss FHF Top Player

They were a pretty good side in Hamilton, too good for us though amazing that a team is picked so far out, around 18 months. Ours won't be picked untill after our Nationals in March.

18. gedda

gedda FHF Newbie

Yeah, it's a bit odd, but I guess we'll have a couple of camps to get a bit organised and also it gives a chance for everyone to get there financially. The women have just had their nationals and teams have been selected as well.

19. Feral

Feral FHF Regular Player

I understand that the dates for the IMHT 09 is set for 24th October to 1st November.
    Booking my flights this week!

20. Ireland40Vets

Hi guys - anything new on Hong Kong from your end?