IMHT - Hong Kong October 2009

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Feral, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Ireland40Vets

Ireland40Vets FHF Starter

Hi Feral

Hope you make it home in one piece - why was there no final in the over 40 age group? Was it played on a league basis this time?

Sam

2. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Sam

Because there was 7 teams the organisers felt that a straight round robin was the best format with no time for a Final. Made it tough because you couldn't take it easy in any game as goals were always going to be crucial. Which is the way it turned out with us (NZ) beating England on the last day 4-1 meaning the Aussies had to beat Scotland by 10, which they of course failed to do thanks to a gutsy effort by the Scots who really dug deep and played with pride and no lack of skill, cheered on by every kiwi present- I suspect our promise to them of free beers all night if they held the Aussies out was a good incentive !!

A final would have been the best way to deceide things though we are not complaining. The Irish boys had a good time and found it a steep learning curve, you'll see quite a few wandering around with NZ/Aussie shirts on when they get back. The setting and facilities were amazing - if any gets the chance to play in Hong Kong take it, to play whilst being overlook by so many sky scrapers was surreal - The heat is a whole other story though !!

Cheers

3. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

I'm guessing the Singapore teams enjoyed the comparative coolness of the HK weather

4. otss

otss FHF Top Player

They actually seemed to be struggling just as much. I guess their "climitisation" advantage against skill level advantage and general fitness of the oppositions evened things out on that front quite a bit

5. Inselaffen

I play with a few of them in the Singapore Vets league team. (Was asked to keep for the over 50's but couldnt make it to HK this time.)
    Fitness and organistion hasn't been our strong point. We did make it to the semi-final of Singapore div2 despite not having a single training session all season.

the weather here for matches is usually between 30-35 deg C and 70-90% humidity. as an overweight keeper its a killer

that lack of organistion is the main reason I'll be switching to a different club for next season.

6. Feral

Feral FHF Regular Player

We had a really close game and sadly your team came out on top. Never mind the sport of hockey is the winner.
    I gave your keeper a gift from me to you of a personal playing shirt from my WA State team (The Black Ducks).
    I hope it fits and you enjoy wearing it.

7. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

This was an amazing tournament with a high level of play, great facilities, good umpiring and a wonderful location. It was played in an excellent spirit. I strongly recommend this tournament to every country and player. here are 40+, 45+, 50+ and 55+ dvisions. Get involved! It's fun. My thanks to the Singapore teams for including me. I had a blast. Here's to the next event in two yuears in Singapore.

Peter

8. Ireland40Vets

Thanks Feral - much appreciated. I should see some of the guys tomorrow. By all accounts they have had a superb time though very tired. I don't think they were as well prepared physically as they thought.

:)

9. Feral

Feral FHF Regular Player

10. Inselaffen

Hi Feral, sounds like you had a good time playing with the musty old gents from Singas.
    hopefully will still be in Singapore for the 2011 IMHT. (glad my wife can't see this as she's had enough of this heat already)

11. Ireland40Vets

Hi Feral

Got the shirt today - thanks for that - much appreciated.

I dropped Iain's goalie kit round to him - shoulder still in sling so he can't drive yet.....

Ended up shipping it back Fedex from the hotel in HKG. As he said, it was a long way to go for 18 minutes of hockey but he had a great time at the tournament.

12. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Ask him how his shoulder felt after meeting a "fellow Ian" from NZ !!- if he'd actually worn the sling some of the time it might not be hurting so much now !

13. Ireland40Vets

Will do Ian - I take it he wasn't exactly following the medical advice then?

14. otss

otss FHF Top Player

I'm not the "Ian" that was our captain -

Each day once he'd had x amount of beers the sling came off so I don't imagine that helped in the healing process

15. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

is there any pics online , im looking for pics with Scotland O40´s team

16. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Martin

Below is the link to the official photos. From memory quite a few of the Scotland team in there. We (NZ) got a number of photos celebrating with the Scottish guys after they held Australia out for us in the last game, once they have been passed around the team I can forward any good ones on to you- Good bunch of guys.

http://www.fotop.net/ernestli/IMHT_2009

17. Ireland40Vets

Hi OTSS

Would have been very disappointed if big Iain had behaved himself particularly after his unfortunate injury. With a bit of luck I should be on the sidelines in Singapore misbehaving in the same fashion....

18. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Yep not sure he'd know how to behave - His a good man and we had a good few laughs with the Irish boys

19. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

thanks alot otss

20. otss

otss FHF Top Player

No problem - some of our guys will have some photo's of us and the Scot's boys celebrating after their last game, if anything good comes through I'll PM you