India hockey is a Mess

Discussion in 'India' started by Frenchy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy FHF Regular Player

2. JiMMM

JiMMM FHF Regular Player

Just a quick question what does this "Rs one crore" equate too (I'm assuming it is a monetary value)

3. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

It means (I think) 10 million (though might be 10,000 can't remember!)

So Rs 1 crore actually means 10 million rupees

(a lot less noughts!)

4. Luka

Luka FHF Regular Player

its not a lost cause, players want pay. So they went on strike until they got it.

5. Frenchy

Frenchy FHF Regular Player

the fact that the palyers are entitled to the wages they are aeen promise for it tehre are nothing to argue abt it. The only think i ftound hilarous it that again the main sponsor have to back up the un professional or imcompetency or the India Hockey association. I think question of behaviour and will of wanting to go forward.
    Yes india won 6 Gold at Olympics game but this was 50 years ago. Living in the past does not makes you going forward.

6. MK

MK FHF Legend

Indian Hockey - dead!

7. Tremo

Tremo FHF Top Player

Direct and straight to the point...not like you MK lol

I do agree though, i think they seem to be living on the past and not looking forward.

8. MK

MK FHF Legend

Well i could have wrapped up those 3 words in a beautifully crafted paragraph, with insightful observation and reasoned comment.
    But Indian players, supporters and administrators live off the glory of 6 medals which were won when hockey was a totally different game. Its arrogance and stupidity in equal measures, and its holding them back to the point the only excuses they have is some ill-conceived accusation that the FIH is against Indian Hockey, and that they dont need any help from outside.

but it would still boil down to what i said - Indian Hockey - DEAD!

9. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

can somebody get me some defib paddles. we gotta wake this dead beast up!

in some tribes in central Africa, there is a conceptual scale of death, ranging from 'ill in bed' to 'completely dead'.
    i think India are ill in bed dead. someone just needs to administer the correct remedies for rampant corruption and infantile politics and things will improve. death, in this case, is quite reversible. but will that change ever happen? i am not optimistic.

10. bart

bart FHF Newbie

Here are some key notes on this matter

1) The Sports Ministry itself cares less, about 80% of corporate sports funding goes toward cricket

2) The Hockey Fed is a messy affair - Women's hockey is even more awful, watch the movie Chak De India if you ever have the time.

3) Foreign Coaches would love to be in India and train the players, but the Fed will have the last laugh and send 'em packing - Includes the great Ric Charlesworth and now Jose Brasa who was creating some magic. Coaches even opted to migrate to India with their families but the Fed will have its say.

4) Indian players are some of the finest but will never have the coaching, grass root level trainings and scientific / technical advantages
    like some the best teams in business now.

I do not think they even have an option to test various equipment before zeroing on what is best for them. Primitive.

5) Fitness is a worry, National level players sometimes have to cope with 200 INR a day allowance for food etc (roughly USD 4.00)

6) Indians largely care about cricket more, they have just emerged world champs after every other dominant team from the past has gone weak with a poor bench strength. The world cup of 1983 in a way put nails on the hockey coffin, i am praying the recent win does not inter the same.

7) So much from an amateur, any experts here can point out more.

11. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

i'd love to hear Sundeep Misra's views on this matter. he is very outspoken and sometimes very compelling.

12. rodeoz

rodeoz FHF Newbie

For the sake of correctness, India has won 8 and NOT 6 golds at the Olympics.

1928 - Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1932 - Los Angeles, USA
    1936 - Berlin, Germany
    1948 - London, UK
    1952 - Helsinki, Finland
    1956 - Melbourne, Australia
    1964 - Tokyo, Japan
    1980 - Moscow, Russia

13. MK

MK FHF Legend

Apologies.

14. DV_MAN

DV_MAN FHF Starter

Despite their past success, the present doesn't look like improving too much...Just watched them lose 3-2 to Korea (after being 2 up) in The Azlan Shah, and Korea should have had another from a flicked-corner that went through the net and was just missed by all the umpires! Both sides should have been used to playing in the heat etc, but the Indians faded and the Koreans, who're usually super-fit anyway, just took control. Work to be done methinks.......

15. bart

bart FHF Newbie

India beat England 3-1 and drew with Aussies 1-1

Very Good, keep the focus on tight defending and expert drag flicking.

16. Andrew

Andrew FHF Newbie

Indian Hockey needs to improve lot, management and players would work together then only they can get good position, they requires lots of hard work.

EDIT TO REMOVE SPAM

17. MK

MK FHF Legend