Indian hockey

Discussion in 'India' started by ameyaa, May 19, 2010.

1. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Mani - may I suggest that your rant (understandable though it may be) could be edited to remove the offensive language.
    Waxxed. I appreciate you're only a youngster, but please think before you post

If there isn't anything constructive to be said, then why post?

2. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

I have been following hockey for nearly 10 years and its the same, nothing has changed in the past 10 years. I get sick when I hear off field news instead of on field. And of the game, we are not fit to play against the European teams

They are too fast, and its all team work, while Indian players bank on individual talent and slow movers of the ball

But before that we need change in management

I believe everyone will say that about it, there is nothing new in hockey

3. MK

MK FHF Legend

Jimmy - why do you think a change of management will help?

4. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

Change in management means, selecting people those who have played the game, I mean ex-players. The reason is they know the real scenario of Indian hockey.
    They have experienced it. Lets take an example of Hockey India election on 28th July. Ex- player Pargat Singh is standing against 83 year old Vidya Stokes, who has nothing to do with hockey.
    In Indian team Coach Brasa does not have any power, he just sits silently during the game, coz he is not given any decision making. The people who are governing hockey hockey now have not done anything for the team.
    So ex-players know what the problems are and the importance of coach in the team. We are unable to European style of hockey after years of adapting it.

We need new people with new ideas. A good management will bring funds for the team, which we are seriously lacking. Also the selection committee is not proper, the only people who can change that is new management

5. MK

MK FHF Legend

But surely Brasa is part of the management team?

Just because you are a good player doesnt make you a good manager.

6. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

Sorry to say sir, but Jose Brasa does not have any decision making power. Team is selected without consulting him, he is not allowed to go and watch local tournaments.
    He does not have any right to select starting XI, Harendra Singh and Anupan Gulati( team manager, who has no link with hockey). In these scenario we cannot think of him doing anything
    It is just like being a puppet in hands of HI

7. MK

MK FHF Legend

Thats absolutely crazy - but symptomatic of how just messed up Indian Hockey is at the mo.
    Selection commitee's, state rivalries, nepotism, favouratism - you couldnt write a better Bollywood script.

8. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

Hockey India, the governing body is heading for its vote tomorrow to determine new office bearers. Pargat Singh is standing against Vidya Stokes a 83 year old women who has no link to hockey. According to Union Ministry of sports, people are not allowed to contest above the age of 70 and those who have held the post for more than 15 years. In this case Vidya is well above 70 and also she has been at the top for nearly 40 years...

9. johnnyboy507

johnnyboy507 FHF Top Player

10. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

Totally agree with you jonnyboy, this is the real face of people who are heading Indian sports

11. MK

MK FHF Legend

Unfortunately, from personal experience, i think this is a cultural thing.
    Whilst at Ind Gym there certainly was a lot of "voices to be listened to" and a lot people who thought they knew better.
    We had Jon Shaw as coach, who was all but ignored, even by the players. Everyone had to be kept happy, even the 47 yr olds in the 4th Xi who demanded they train at the same time and in the same practises as the 1st Xi, but because they were club elders, they had to be listened to. Everyone had an opinon on who should be playing, players got angry when they didnt get 70 mins, even though some were unfit and hadnt trained all week. I was once given advice by a person stood on the side of the pitch DURING a match, which totally contradicted what the coach had set out, but when i highlighted this i was told that "the coach knew nothing and his tactics were not the Gym way of playing!".

I personally know what I would do if i were coach, but when the job is so hard that purchasing 100 balls needs to go to a government tender (seriously!) - then you know that politics even for the simplest thing is going to be a huge factor on success!

12. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

Politics is a part of Indian Sports System. Right from the junior level to the national team there is politics. There is caste based team selection, money power, relation with the administrators is what is needed. There is very less chance that a person with good talent and no influence will come up and play

13. MK

MK FHF Legend

Shame really, so infuriating too!
    Indian Gym could be a massive club but politics ruins it.

Im sure hockey lovers in India are just used to it now.

14. jimmybhogal

jimmybhogal FHF Newbie

15. MK

MK FHF Legend

16. bart

bart FHF Newbie

I recall (may be wrongly) that Vidya Stokes won the election and also quit eventually as she was not able to meet some political commitments.
    What a mess!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidya_Stokes

As i am new here, i have to say -

Waxxed - Mate you are idealistic and proud about the Indian hockey heritage, youngsters like you nursing a love for the sport is welcome. However, some realistic insight is also needed.

MK - Sir, you appear to be well informed on what is apparently killing Indian Hockey.

I have already posted some pointers on what is pulling Indian Hockey down under another thread and will not do so here.

Hope to stay in touch with one and all.

17. gaspardikus

gaspardikus FHF Newbie

To : Waxxed

Brother are you practicing conflictology methods here in terms of logics and didactics?

PS: Been to India or not doesn't change the pic quality or author.
    I have indian players as friends, they are girls and they play hockey.
    One of them was Junior talant and was awarded once in USA.
    Frankly to speak, they were telling nothing good about indian hockey system.
    And nowadays approaches to move indian hockey upwards - hard and too difficult.
    So, I'm 27. And I don't like to lie. I travel a lot with my team. And maybe I can visit your side once a upon a time.
    Just let me know your address.
    I will be glad to meet you and discuss this topic till the last dot.
    ...while sitting and drinking my favourite cappuchino.
    Right, mate?
    CONCLUSION : Don't try to be what you are not.

18. Waxxxed

Waxxxed FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Tribaal Impi - Beikou 90 Pro - Oregon Wolf1
    Thanks, Mate.

19. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

this thread has been a most interesting read.

while i am not always an advocate of 'experience' triumphing 'youth' in terms of knowledge and actual clarity of thought, i must say that in this case, it's clearly true.

20. Andrew

Andrew FHF Newbie

Hockey is an National Game in India but the current hockey team condition is too bad as compare to Australia or other top hockey teams it due to management and players are also responsible for it because they are not taking it as serious they just play for money due to this they are loosing their game and getting bad image for their country.

EDIT TO REMOVE SPAM