Indian hockey

Discussion in 'India' started by ameyaa, May 19, 2010.

1. marladog

marladog FHF Regular Player

that could be true, hockey is not proffessional in Australia.

2. aman7

aman7 FHF Starter

tbh India is falling and it all has to do with politics as is said before and everyone is leaning towards cricket and not looking at the true sport that brought their country glory. I just like waxxxed am indian although I'm a Kenyan, and have been to india on several occasions. They don't know what hockey is anymore! I went into a shop to but a stick and i was asked "Do you want one for normal use or for playing?" and i was like what the f*** is a hockey stick used for...the next day i saw a man using one as a walking stick. India truly has lost their glory, and may never get back into it.

3. John

John FHF Legend

Sorry, I am confused. Are you Indian or Kenyan? Waxxed is half Indian.

4. aman7

aman7 FHF Starter

hmmm I'm Kenyan by nationality and my state of mind, but by authenticity/colour I'm Indian

5. AdityaMookerjee

AdityaMookerjee FHF Newbie

Has anyone tried to dribble on grass, not artificial grass? It is one of the most difficult skills in any sport, dribbling with a hockey stick, a leather ball on grass. I find modern hockey extremely entertaining, but how was it watching the Indian team playing in the Berlin Olympics in the 1930's? The European teams used to give up, I guess, on the grass pitch, playing field hockey against India. Australia must have tried, very hard, but they were beaten 6-0, or more, then.

6. MK

MK FHF Legend

Youre point being?

That India is only good on grass?

7. AdityaMookerjee

AdityaMookerjee FHF Newbie

It was just an observation. The Indian Team should be finding it more entertaining playing on artificial grass. Imagine dribbling on artificial grass? You know, the problem after the Munich Olympics, or thereabouts? The Indian Team was then, playing on artificial grass, in international tournaments, only having practiced mostly on grass. We have a dilemma, in India. Natural grass is sacred to Indian Field Hockey, today, too. I feel happy about this state of affairs. What Indian hockey players have to do, is, forget about natural, and artificial grass, when playing. I mean, players at all domestic, and national tournaments.

8. MK

MK FHF Legend

Natural grass is sacred to Indian Field Hockey, today, too.

Pathetic isnt it!

9. nitesh raut

nitesh raut FHF Newbie

first of all....basic needs to become a champ team is infrasturucture availbale for whole country......dont forget india was champion of hocker when the game was used to play in GReen natural grass..not an artificiall turf......remeber india is not rich country like...other top ranked team in hocky...........if these so called to ranked team ready to ..paly hocky match....in natural green graass ground....m 100% sure that...India will thrash ALL top ranked team...in convincingly.....beacuse MAJOR reason behind this..is....our all indian players are grown as playing i natural grass ground.....dat ol indian players used to natrural grass ground condition.....u can ask ny indian player..they will tell u truth....hocky became an rich counrtries game........you all rich countris ...changed the real hockey...as per your suitable conditions.....you rich countries are clever....i Challeneg...austrelia..and germany....and holland....for a match in green grroundantur ground.....you countries....will not be able to match wid indians...coz..indain hocky palyers are used to play in natural surface...it will take time...to become good in this ARTIFICALL HOCKY(its not natural hockey dat we indians are used play in past )........wid da change of surface made ...this artifial hockey beacme....very expensve game for us....we have very few artifiall turfs ....and des few 5 or 6 artificial turfs are in metro cities...but...most of hocky palyers come from village ..coz its hardocre game.....I M VERY MUCH PROUD MY COUNTRY...THIS ARTIFCIALL HOCKEY IS VERY EXPENSIV FOR THOUGH...WE ARE IN TOP 12.......ITS OL DEPENDS ON HOW MANY ARTIFICIALL TURFS U HAV IN COUNTRY....ITS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL.....

10. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Pakistan is not a rich country but they finished 7th!

Korea probably has less hockey players in total than Mumbai has alone. as long as people blame it on lack of pitches then India will never improve.

11. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

yup korea is the smallest of the nations that participated in the Olympics

12. MK

MK FHF Legend

The excuses keep coming and coming - but to solve Indian Hockey is to solve a deep-seated mentality about the sport, from within its own ranks. The post from Nitesh sums it up, the astroturf issue.

But how does that take away from the abject and dismal performances of the Indian national team - who have all played on astroturf for the last decade.

Poor poor basics, lack of direction on the pitch, no guile, no fight, no gumption.
    I happened to see the India/Germany game - and the fact it only remained 5-1 is a mystery. The Germans (had they the Aussie mentality) would have pumped then at least 14 or 15 goals to nil.

They looked beaten the minute they started, players looked scared of failure, looked scared to take a chance, to do something different - this resulted in all the players looking out for themselves, rather than helping their team-mates out. It appeared that as long as they didnt perform the worst in the team, then they would have the negative press.

13. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

his right they seemed to only rely on others and not them selves...they were not playing as a team and as if it was a friendly game

14. jakebenno

jakebenno FHF Newbie

Or the skill level and competitiveness would increase until actual better styles are developed :)

15. jakebenno

jakebenno FHF Newbie

Or the skill level and competitiveness would increase until actual better styles are developed :)