Irish Hockey League : All games cancelled

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Goalie64, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

2. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
  3. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

They're complaining about getting €0.20/Km? I'm all for workers striking for fair pay when profit making companies are involved but considering the Irish Men's team had to fundraise so that they could afford to get to the Olympics I think the IHUA is taking the mickey bliss here...

4. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

With the Inland Revenue allowing 45p per mile to cover car costs before tax kicks in I reckon Irish (and British) umpires are out of pocket.

5. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

And how much do you think volunteers, management etc etc get in expenses??

Absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps could have played without umpires with an "honesty" rule employed and enforced by teams themselves.

IHUA hang your heads.

6. Ravennghorde

What volunteers get is down to their club. As a pool umpire I get mileage, covered by league fees. As a club umpire I don't because I can car share with the team.

I hate to think the miles a national level umpire drives in Ireland or England but it will be thousands. Don't see why they should be out of pocket, their mileage should be properly covered.

Jake Harvey likes this.
  7. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

Clubs have no cash, the hockey association has no cash, the international team fund raise to get to international tournaments but umpires want full cost reimbursement and hold the game to ransom.

Yep seems good to me.

8. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I have no more information about this situation than that which is already in the public domain, but to portray this simply as a strike over the umpires wanting to be paid more than €0.20 per km in expenses seems to be a pretty big over-simplification. The article linked to above makes it clear that the IHUA has major concerns about the future of umpiring on the island of Ireland and that their request for "fair" remuneration is one part of a four year plan to bring more people into umpiring:
    Their concerns are shared by many umpiring associations.

ivyleague and Ravennghorde like this.
  9. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

We're on 23p association rates, for say a 50 mile journey, that's £11.50 - I get around 49mpg so it's 1 gallon of diesel near enough which is around £5.34 - don't make money but not really out of pocket allowing for other bits. To be honest I'd like mileage for my bike cycling to the nearby pitches ;)

10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

At today's exchange rate of €1.00 = £0.88, €0.20 per km is roughly equivalent to £0.28 per mile...

11. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Nonsense, the average price of unleaded in Ireland as of today is €1.369/l (Source: https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland/prices) meaning that a driver of a petrol vehicle would need to average <6.8 Km/l (About 30 mpg for UK comparisons) in order to be 'out of pocket' at €0.20/Km. Furthermore drivers of diesel vehicles would need to average <5.995 Km/l to be out of pocket at the same level.

It is perfectly acceptable as far as I am concerned for HI to expect someone who volunteers to drive long distances to be doing those distances in a sensible vehicle that would comfortably hit the fuel economy targets.

12. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

You should see the cars some of the NPUA drive.

They do not need expenses - believe me!!

freebird likes this.
  13. Ravennghorde

But fuel is only a fraction of the cost of running a car which is why the Inland Revenue, not the most generous of organisations, allows £0.45 per mile for the first 10,000 miles a year.

FYI they also have a bike tax allowance...

14. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

That's 'bobbins' and you know it.

As npua in (admittidly) a 1 year old car, paid for by a work allowance with personal top up and therefore taxed, and also limited to a set mileage per year, or excess charges apply. Added to which your ground is a 300 mile full tank of petrol distance away from where I live, out of necessity for family and work. Not to mention tyres, servicing, insurance and that I have to do drive every week as I never get he luxury of being driven by a teammate.

On average I cover 4-5k miles per year on umpiring appointments. It doesn't matter what I earn or what I drive as for the princely sum of 24p a mile I do it anyway.
    But I also pay x3 subscription fees to county regional and national UAs which roughly equates to the same as club membership if I played and oh, wait my club also pays mileage for drivers on away games.

So err yeah. I'll claim my mileage and not lose too much sleep over it.

Sorry.

#14 careeman, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  15. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I umpire for a couple of HUAs and both have a rate of 25p per mile that, for me, almost exactly covers my rather nice car's fuel, maintenance and mileage-related depreciation. Other umpires have cheaper cars, some more expensive.

But mainly the level of expenses shows a level of appreciation for umpiring's contribution to the sport. When people feel taken for granted, and those who engage those people's services don't seem to notice or care, then it's true: they are being taken for granted. So threats are ignored, and bluffs called. And we have a situation. Just your normal slide into conflict.

At some point officials the hockey association and the umpiring association will recall that they are servants of the sport - players and umpires - and it will all be sorted out.

16. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

Yes it is bobbins and yes I do know it

(although some of the cars are pretty sweet - especially for those up North).

Please don't go on strike though.

careeman likes this.
  17. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

I'm supporting my Irish brethren.

Everybody out. ;):D

Willowsacorns likes this.
  18. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Hence I said the fuel is only part of it and that it covers stuff like wear and tear - when it's for business use the 45p rate makes sense as you would be driving a lot more. I have to pay insurance, VED (£20) and MOT anyway as I need my car for other stuff. In the 4 years I have done regional appointments I have done approx. 4860 miles, not really massive

Association would need to agree mileage rate for bikes though to be honest for 10 miles or so each way, which is the maximum I'd ride for an appointment, it costs me a few pence of wear to the tyres

19. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

I note a nameless Mod deleted my comment on society as a whole.... so I will post it again.

It's often those that need things least that claim the most.

Politicians with expenses for moats, wealthy pensioners claiming fuel allowances out of principle, those with money using aggressive tax sheltering schemes.

I am NOT suggesting that applies to umpires nor this situation but striking for a 20p increase in expenses does strike me as very much a first world problem especially given all we know about the cash available to Irish Hockey. After all hockey for the vast majority costs something - at my club it's just shy of £1000 for 2 of my kids and me plus expenses. There was never reimbursement nor any expected when I was travelling all over with the 1st team nor is there any for away matches played or ferrying the kids around.

20. redumpire

FHF Moderator

It was not me who deleted your comment, but, I'm sorry, that is EXACTLY what you were suggesting in your now deleted post, given its position in the discussion at the time. Why else would you have posted it when you did? It was a ridiculous and unworthy comment that deserved to be deleted. Repeating it does you no favours.
    If you're going to continue to throw these comments around, please get the facts right. IHUA are not striking for a 20p increase in expenses - they are striking about a range of issues, one of which is an increase from the current rate of 20 cents per km, not an increase of that amount.
    I don't want to turn this into a p*ssing competition, but I can 100% guarantee you that there isn't a single umpire in the NPUA who does not end up considerably out of pocket each season having travelled around the country umpiring matches. None of us begrudges that - it comes with the territory and we understand that our expenses are, ultimately, paid by the players - but to suggest, even implicitly, that NPUA members are 'on the make' when it comes to expenses, is grossly unfair.[

peterwins, Diligent and Ravennghorde like this.