Is this a bad idea for a 13 yr old?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by K8t, Sep 1, 2017.

1. K8t

K8t FHF Newbie

Our 13 year old currently plays for school in her year and the next year up team as well as a Club. There is a shared kit with an old Slazenger helmet for school, not great, worn and rusty. Club she has a Jofa ice hockey helmet, a bit worn and not much padding, but it's more comfortable and I like it as it covers the back of her head better.

For her birthday, we said we would buy her a new helmet of her own. We have tried several and the Obo PE looks ok, but doesn't cover the back of the head, she tried the Obo carbon, and the Medium fitted well and she said it felt amazing, but....it's £340. I think this is madness, but other half says what price is her head?! Daughter has offered to pay £100 from her saved pocket money.

Is it crazy to even think about it? She is hockey obsessed, trains twice a week and once school starts will play twice a week.

I suppose, I'm thinking at least it will last a couple of years - but is it OTT?

I would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

2. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

It will last a long time, and if she grows out of it, the secondhand market can get you back probably £100-200 depending on whether it's looked after.

For the safety, absolutely no question, I'd get top range whenever possible.

Be warned, though. Now it's a helmet, soon it will be new kickers, then legguards, and before you know it there's a complete kit living in the house.

Michael Byrne, Goalmutt, GK13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

For that age, and many years to come, the PE offers more than sufficient protection. So purely for safety it is sufficient. However, as @Nij has already said, the carbon will offer better protectio, last a long time and you can get a good price second hand. And if it gives confidence then that is also worth something.

4. broadstone

broadstone FHF All Time Great

I can't recommend a obo CK helmet enough, the one I am wearing in my profile picture was bought for me when I was 15 and has lasted me through to 23 via buying it back from someone else!

Admittedly it did need a refurbishment last year but this is nominal and the protection it offers is hard to beat for hockey.

I say if your daughter is hockey mad- Go for it! It will last her well and mean that she will be well protected and can play confidently. 13 is a great age to be looking towards JPCs (junior performance centres- basically county level) in the U.K- it may be something to look into as she should receive goalie specific coaching there.

Best of luck to her and hope she keeps enjoying the sport as much as we all do!

K8t likes this.
  5. asahartz

asahartz FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Slazenger SZR Aero 160
    The Obo CK is the same as my son's Rey which he has had since 2004. Great lid, he's used it for ice, roller and field hockey and only had to replace a couple of bent cages from ice hockey pucks. Well worth the £330 (inc custom paint) we paid for it.

6. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

I top shelf helmet can never be a bad idea for a junior GK ;)

7. K8t

K8t FHF Newbie

Thank you, that's a great help.

Actually, her club have been fantastic, almost giving her 1:1 coaching. They have said they would like to put her forward for county development training, although I wasn't sure what that entails, I presume that's the same as jpc

Looks like we will be off to get the helmet tomorrow, she'll be so excited.

Thanks

GK13 likes this.
  8. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

The PE is definitely good enough. If you buy her the PE you are not being a bad parent.
    On the other hand, if dad wants to pay more to protect his daughter's head, and you can afford it, you won't be wasting money on a top of the range lid.
    For your information, I play at a pretty decent level, without doubt no 13 year old girl could hit it harder at me than I get at training, and I use a PE, and I'm very happy with it. The difference is that I bought it for myself. If I was buying it for my daughter I would also be thinking about protecting her head as best as I could.
    Again, if you buy her a PE, she will be protected very well. Difference is, you might be buying another one in 5 years, whereas from the comments above, with a top of the range lid, she might not replace it for 10 years or more.

#8 The chief, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    K8t likes this.
  9. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

If medium is the size they end up with as an adult then spend the money

If medium is a stepping stone to extra large... Try to use club gear if possible

10. GK_bumblebee_TF

GK_bumblebee_TF FHF Newbie

I've recently started using the OBO carbon and it really is as good as your daughter says... the weighting is perfect and makes you feel much more stable not having such a heavy head and will give your daughter confidence in her kit. I always say if you're going to pick one bit of kit to buy... get the helmet...

:)

K8t likes this.
  11. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

The CK is a very good helmet but, in my opinion, it's probably overkill for a 13 year old.

(Frankly, it's also probably overkill for the 95% of us mere mortals on this forum, who aren't playing at the very highest levels of the sport!)

As someone else has said on here: the CK is like fitting your car with a full racing harness to drive to Tesco. Yes, technically it's the safest option, but that doesn't mean that simply wearing seatbelt wouldn't be a perfectly good alternative!

Given that, once you start buying new kit, the requests for other new bits of kit are likely to start coming in thick and fast, you might choose to save yourself the £££ and put it towards other bits of kit instead, especially when new leg guards and kickers can easily set you back £500 or more!

12. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Also, if properly looked after, all helmets should last at least a couple of years; most significantly longer than that!

Nicola Harrison likes this.
  13. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    I'd like to just point out that just because it has OBO in front of it doesn't make it the best product on the market.
    That said they have finished designing and I'm guessing now moving to production of their new helmet which looks very good and has had a ton of R&D, testing etc done on it.

I used a Rey/OBO Custom CK for a while, everytime I was hit in the head I had ringing in my ears for quite some time, this was an older model with less holes.

What I'm saying is take some time to find options, £300 is a lot of money to drop on anything, at the end of the day it really comes down to three things:

1: Fit
    2: Protection
    3: Budget

GK13 likes this.
  14. keeper2234

keeper2234 FHF Starter

I say do it, I bought the Carbon and yes its is a heaps of money but it is worth it. It will last a long time. Head protection is priceless

15. Goalmutt

Goalmutt FHF Legend

I have a refurbished Obo Fibreglass in medium that is in need of a custom paint job and a new home. If interested, please drop me a message!

16. broadstone

broadstone FHF All Time Great

@AndyGaut not all can get a hold of a Stacey ;)

The OBO carbon maybe not the best helmet on the market, however I'd argue that it's one of the easiest accessed high quality helmets available, it's not custom and is stocked (ish) by most hockey retailers.

@GK13 i find the analogy about the seatbelt vs harness unhelpful because most of the protection in a car is the bodywork, I think head protection is much easier to stick to: for example the difference between a good quality cycling helmet vs a super streamline racing one.

But neither of you have really addressed one thing that we more experienced GKs overlook, because we have spent so many hours in our helmets, and that's comfort!

I remember the first time I put on my helmet because I remember the superb comfort of a OBO CK, granted they don't fit everyone and it's hardly a custom job- having tried on both PE and CK I'd say CK (carbon) is more comfortable.

On the issue of safety, the hits we don't think about are the freak accidents, the everyday hits are likely fine with many helmets but it's the freak accidents I want an international level helmet for.
    Even with a CK, I've had a couple of minor concussions so how bad would that have been with a PE?
    I know budget is an issue for many and I know I don't have kids but if my son/daughter wanted to play in goal and was committed you'd be hard pressed to stop me from buying them a CK or better!

Apologies for the essay, just feel smug I'm running around without a helmet this season o_O head injuries here I come!

K8t and Chris Young like this.
  17. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

@K8t - if your daughter is currently using a Jofa helmet and likes the fit, you could also consider buying a new one of these, which is an ice hockey player helmet, rather than a 'full' mask like an OBO, TK or Mercian.

This has the advantage of being much more cost-effective (typically £150-£170, if you add a cateye cage and a throat protector) and, in my experience, it's easier to get a better fit, as the helmets are easier to adjust. On the better models, you'll get a better quality of inner foam, too, which means a more comfortable fit.

Lots of us on this forum use these helmets, as do plenty of international keepers (the Bauer 5190 and Cascade M11 are both popular models), but it does generate quite a lot of debate, very similar to the comments above!

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

18. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    A helpful video for everyone

scotty1 and Folmer like this.
  19. scotty1

scotty1 FHF Regular Player

Totally agreed. Whatever helmet you get, make sure it's fitted properly or you are reducing its' effectiveness.

I am interested in the OP's comment about the PE not covering the back of the head and why they think the carbon is different? Also WRT the back of the head, are you worried about ball impacts or concussion?

To be precise, the PE is sufficient and is worn by some international keepers, but if you want to spend the extra on the carbon, hey, it's your money.

#19 scotty1, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  20. Janne

Janne FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Brabo
    I did play with the PE helmet last year. This year i did receive the carbon helmet. To be honest, i don't feel 'that' much of a difference. With both helmets I had huge collisions with other players, feet, ball, stick, etc. Both of them are comfortable (i might even like the PE better on fit, i know i can not say this.. spoiled i guess ;-)) and safe! i don't think you 'must' go for the carbon one. It looks fancy, i agree, but the costs are so much more. And the PE can even be ordered in different colors, how awesome!
    If you only ask this on safety, both helmets are great. If you ask this because she wants it sooooo much, better listen to the girl ;-)

Keep up the good work.