Jaffa Super 6s Support!

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Malcolm Walker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Malcolm Walker

Malcolm Walker FHF Newbie

Hi all –

With the Indoor Super 6s finals being so close now, I think it's really important that the hockey family makes a special effort to go and see this. It's a shame that domestic club hockey as a big spectator product seems to be rarer and rarer, so it's refreshing to see at least the indoor game attracts the support of club members.

The tickets are on sale here http://tidd.ly/357049c4, I think it's important we encourage our members to attend?

Thoughts?

malc

2. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Does moving it from Wembley to The Olympic Park make it more or less accessible, and the attendance more in line with the venue capacity (thus optimising cost - revenue).

Only in the last couple of years has both Semi Finals and Finals been held on the Sunday (the womens Semis used to be held at Kettering the weekend before) supposedly due to the extra cost of having the venue for the whole day and the first game being around the same as most store opening times on a Sunday (from a transport link point of view)

Thoughts?

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Thoughts?
    I have no idea.
    You're right. (I'm not sure what else to say!)

My main thought is: can we not just get behind an event rather than always having to nit-pick over motives?

Krebsy likes this.
  4. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

We can , provided it is optimised to get behind. The ideal would be to see all seats taken for these events as this shows the interest there is in watching the sport and can only encourage more people in. We all know that the WC will be a sell out with the expanded seating option being used.

5. redumpire

FHF Moderator

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, @jamesev. Sorry. It's probably me.

The event is being held in one of the best indoor centres in the UK; in one of the biggest cities in the world, with excellent transport links. You can see 6 games for £21.50. That's £3.58 per game. Sounds pretty "optimised" to me...

RussellButt likes this.
  6. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Agreed with the need for hockey people to put their hands in their pockets and support the big events that occur outside of their immediate world.

I think the move to the Copper Box is a good one. It's got the Olympic legacy behind it and there will be less empty seats. Supposedly it's good for atmosphere as well.

I see on the ticket website that all the side seats have sold out.

7. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

I'm always surprised by how little hockey is supported. I've been playing hockey for 5 years now and always get tickets for the 6s and the Prem finals the day they come out because I'm excited about going. I remember the first time I went to the Prem finals and was surprised to see so many empty seats. Then I looked at how many people from my club went to watch. It was easy to count when it's just me and my girlfriend. I asked people in my club and they said they play hockey but aren't bothered about watching it. I've no idea how to change their minds.

As for accessibility, Wembley was way easier from the west. I'd quite happily drive there and back in a day. Now it's in Eastenders territory it's harder to get to by public and private transport and I've had to book an hotel which has put the cost up significantly. My old club used to send about 20 people every year on a day trip (made easier by the 1s goalie owning a big bus). I can't imagine that's happening this year. This is a shame as the Olympic park is a brilliant facility but just a bugger to get to unless you're based in the East (which means the majority of prem clubs and EH themselves so I guess it's majority rule?).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new facilities at the Copperbox and seeing some amazing hockey so hopefully I'll see some of you there (I'll be wearing a red carnation with a copy of today's Times).

8. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

I'm certainly looking forward to it and seeing how the Copper Box compares to Wembley. Wembley certainly had it's good and bad points, the fact that most of the seating started a couple of metres from the floor gave a good view, but the crowd felt disconnected. The lighting was pretty rubbish with the big screen illuminating half the pitch. The Copper Box, I believe, has been designed for a pitch/court roughly the size of an indoor pitch and therefore the sight lines should be good. Plus I presume they will have the four sided screen box thingy hanging from the roof, so it should be visible from all seats.

As for predictions, I'll have a fiver on EG to win on the men's side. Not sure about the women as I didn't see any of the group matches, could be that EG will do the double.

9. SPactionimages

I actually think Stratford is easier to get to than Wembley, although granted it is extra 20 miles or so further from the west if driving. Easier on public transport as well.

10. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

I presume you will be “with camera”?

11. SPactionimages

I will indeed. Just sorted out parking.

12. Beardymanbristol

Maybe it's just me then! I used to drive to Wembley quite a lot so in reality maybe it's my familiarity with the route that makes it seem easier.

13. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    In more general terms, the lack of exposure for Div 2 and Div 1 matches is pretty poor. What non-hockey fan is gonna go and pay 22 quid for a ticket for an event they don't know whether they'll enjoy? You can go and watch the footy for that at some places. Why not advertise the Div 1 and 2 matches more? Granted it's not at the same standard as the Prem but in the finals days there are some cracking games of hockey, yet very few spectators. Don't even have to make it a paid event even, but why not advertise it to the teams local to the venues and get a few of them come down on the Sunday and bring there mates, get a better atmosphere and maybe a few more people picking up a stick??

Hockeyfan95 likes this.
  14. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Just for clarity: you'll be carrying a copy of The Times from Friday 19 January? ;)

15. Beardymanbristol

I was trying to think of something funny, perhaps pedant based, in my reply but I'm chuckling too much!

redumpire likes this.