Jock Straps

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by BB, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BB

BB FHF Top Player

Question for the male keepers out there, do any of you wear a jock strap? Can anyone recommend any good ones? I've been advised to start wearing one by my doctor, and don't really have any idea what would be suitable.

I was planning on wearing it underneath my current Robo abdo guard, but has anyone ever worn a jock strap with a plastic/metal 'cup' (cricket style, the ones that post players put on to defend PCs).

All help much appreciated as ever, the quicker the better as ideally I'd like to sort something out in time for training tomorrow (or failing that 3 days time).

2. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Nope, just compression shorts and an abdoguard. Some do double-cup, but I don't feel the need.

My question is why would a doctor advise one?

3. BB

BB FHF Top Player

Apparently it provides added support.

4. Manakin

Manakin FHF Reserve Player

I wear this under my Robo groin guard - finds it keeps in place better when stretching and lunging.

Kilmory likes this.
  5. chrisberry2k

chrisberry2k FHF Top Player

Worn one for cricket - just a standard effort that you can find anywhere online. Have to say i never got on with it and wear "batting shorts" for cricket now akin to what Manakin suggests above.

6. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

I have never double cupped, but after taking a direct hit from close range at the weekend, I'm seriously considering it. Even with my excellent Slazenger abdo guard I had to take a minute to compose myself afterwards. I was at full stretch at the hitters feet trying to smother the shot, so I wonder if the guard had pulled away from me and returned into place with enough force to wind me slightly on impact? Anyway, I would prefer not to repeat the experiment so might be spending some money...

7. bedfordhockey5

bedfordhockey5 FHF All Time Great

yeah i know abdoguards protect well, yet my abdo guards even when i have put more padding down there still hits me in the testies if i take a shot to the box itself, and as kilmory said you have to take a miniute to compose yourself, so i was wondering other than double cupping because i dont see how that would help, is there any other soloution.

8. BB

BB FHF Top Player

I think the ideal solution would be don't get hit in the balls in the 1st place!!

9. bedfordhockey5

bedfordhockey5 FHF All Time Great

i gathared that one not always possible :p

10. Manakin

Manakin FHF Reserve Player

With a pair of exceptionally sexy Speedo's on under the box, everything is packed tight so that any impact is firstly dispersed through the groin guard, which cannot then impact my knackers as they are housed in the box. Has worked a charm so far and have had a few belters to the groin

11. Frank183

Frank183 FHF Top Player

I don't think a jock strap is necessary as the abdo guard already keeps everything in place.

The OBO Robo is a double cup, which makes a huge difference to a single cup. A few weeks ago I took a full power shot (as in *full* power) from close distance. I clearly felt it, but I was far away from going down. No need to interrupt the game or anything, just a little sting for a 2-3 minutes.

12. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Is there any experience from female GKs here? I got hit in the girly bits last month and considered trying the 'jewel protector' that the club provided but it's so uncomfortable!

13. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I´m not a girl but you need to wear a pelvic protector!!!
    Ladies got as much important stuff to protect as us guys do and you could seriously harm yourself by not wearing one.
    I do not know what age you are but if you are a junior I am seriously disappointed with your club otherwise it is up to you but it is highly recommended to wear one.

14. Frank183

Frank183 FHF Top Player

I'm also not a girl, but what is exactly so uncomfortable about the abdo guard the club provided ? If you look up the web you will find that all the "usual suspects" such aus OBO, TK, Brabo, etc.
    As always it's a tradeoff between protection and comfort.

15. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Maybe you just need to get used to it. The Obo jewel case is a pelvic protector for juniors, as Frank183 mentioned all brands have decent protectors for each age group.
    And as NicfromSweden said: you have as much to protect as the boys do. So the only advice is: WEAR ONE!

16. Ire-GK

Ire-GK FHF Starter

Hey i am a woman dont have experience of the obo one but i did have to try a few before i found one... They arent too bad once you get used to it and find one you like... Wear 1 makes you feel almost nothing!

17. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    It's the first bit of kit I put on when kitting up and I wouldn't be without it. Mine is a Gryphon one and I don't notice it's there.
    As an aside I once heard this piece of kit referred to as a "manhole cover"!!

NicfromSweden and Folmer like this.
  18. Frank183

Frank183 FHF Top Player

I remember that the first female abdo guards available back then looked a lot like a chastity belt ... :p

19. Euphy

Euphy FHF Top Player

I use the OBO Cloud Jewel Case and find it very comfortable, don't even know I'm wearing it. It has saved my ability to have children and from lots of pain on countless occasions - wouldn't be without it!

20. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

TBH, I don't wear one... I probably should, considering i dive around like an eejit.. so dont listen to me! lol