Junior Hockey Clubs in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Sheepiestar, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sheepiestar

Sheepiestar FHF Newbie

Hi I am new to the forum and haven't played hockey before but I am looking for advice re signing my daughter up for a club. Shes way too young for matches as only 6 year old but she has been enjoying coaching at our local leisure centre over he last year. Hockey is played at her school starting primary 4 but that will be 3 years for her yet. Anyway I just wondered if their is much differences in the coaching at the different clubs at this age or not ? Any advice appreciated

2. DarkLord

DarkLord FHF Top Player

At that age development is much more about enjoyment than technical development (that comes later), as such I would say find a club with that you like the feel of.
    There are a few strong clubs Edinburgh way with a good reputation for developing youth.
    Check out Cala Edinburgh, Grange, Inverleith and Watsonians.

3. Sheepiestar

Sheepiestar FHF Newbie

Okay thank you for the advice. My local club is Linlithgow but I'd struggle to get her to training as we're working in Edinburgh. Any idea if Erskine Melville is a decent youth set up ?

4. DarkLord

DarkLord FHF Top Player

Not sure to be honest, my knowledge is more Glasgow based, but I know a few players at the clubs I mentioned and some who have come from there, plus they generally have decent reputations as clubs anyway.
    ESM not so sure about think they are one of the many sides that train at Peffermill (Ed unis pitches)

5. Sheepiestar

Sheepiestar FHF Newbie

Okay thanks. I'll probably just continue with her Sunday sessions for now. Might look at one of the others you mentioned for the start of next season or might try and make the Linlithgow sessions

6. Rossco1981

Rossco1981 FHF Newbie

Hey Sheepiestar sorry for the late reply but just noticed your post. I'm Rossco one of the head coaches at Linlithgow Juniors. We are currently on summer break, byt are back at Linlithgow Academy on the 22nd of August from 6 to 7pm. We run two groups P1 to P7, and S1 onwards. We have a level 3 coach, one level 2 and about 4 level one coaches, who all have their disclosurers up to date. We might not be in Edinburgh but are well organised, and have good numbers. There are roughly about 30 kids in the Primary group, as DarkLord says our major focus is fun. If you Daughter has been going to Lithgae Sports centre then she would have been coached by Natz one of our coaches who helps on a Wednesday, so there will be a friendly (if not slightly mad) face there. If you need any further info drop me a line and I'll give you my number. Hope to see you in August.

Cheers

7. Sheepiestar

Sheepiestar FHF Newbie

Thanks Rossco. Yes she is in Natalie's class at the leisure centre just now and seems to enjoy it. Would like her to maybe go on a Wednesday night but by the time I finish work I am not normally back in Lithgae until the back of six. I might see if I can finish work a tad earlier to see if we can make it. She's only going into P2 anyway so still quite young. Do you play pretty much through the winter in all weathers ?

Btw, are you friends with Bruce G and Liam ? I play fives with them on a Monday.

8. KJB32

KJB32 FHF Starter

Hi Sheepiestar. The DarkLord mentions a few, we also have about 70 regular juniors at Waverley on a Tuesday evening at 18:00. I guess it will depend on where abouts in Edinburgh you are. There is generally a large number of juniors playing in Edinburgh at the moment. Mostly it is the training side, but there are also a number of friendly games and tournaments for any of the juniors that want to play. We are in North Edinburgh, just off Ferry Road. We too are on our Summe rbreak right now, but check out the web site for our return to trainign. www.wit-hockey.com

9. Sheepiestar

Sheepiestar FHF Newbie

Thanks KJB32, it's another option for us. Not sure what im going to do, I could make it along to W.I.T or one of the other North Edinburgh clubs. She is still young though so I'm thinking if I can possibly make it back to Linlithgow in time, that would be the best option. I think the consensus seems to be that technical development is learned later so just a case of finding a club that suits. I'd like her to join her local club if possible