Junior World Cup Qualifier - Trinidad

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bigbizzrd, Oct 15, 2008.

1. bigbizzrd

bigbizzrd FHF Newbie

The following athletes have been selected to represent Canada at the U21 Men’s World Cup
    Qualifier, Oct 17 – 26, Trinidad and Tobago.

1. Bruce Currie
    2. Mark Erickson
    3. Sean Ford
    4. Geoff Houghton
    5. Antoni Kindler
    6. Elliot Marsh
    7. Ben Martin
    8. Connor Meakin
    9. Derrick Norton
    10. Arne Oswald
    11. Stephen Paget
    12. Mark Pearson
    13. Keegan Pereira
    14. Taylor Self
    15. Hudson Stewart
    16. Devohn Teixeira
    17. Jesse Watson
    18. Graham Wiggins

2. dilip-tirkey

dilip-tirkey FHF Newbie

where is Will Moss?? surely his goal scoring prowess is being missed at this event...

:angry: On A MORE SERIOUS note, rumour has it the team lost 2-0 to the argies today. any news on how the game vs. Argentina went? :nerd:

Patrick Oswald, team manager of the Canadian Men's U21 Field Hockey Team, reports from
    Trinidad & Tobago where the team is preparing for the Pan American Cup:

Dear U-21 Team Fans,
    Our 2nd full day in Trinidad was awesome. We have recovered from the grueling 18 hour trip down here and more importantly we are getting used to the heat!

Yesterday’s report was rather short and full of vital omissions, for which I apologize but I was beat by the end of the day. The biggest omission was that coach Cassius celebrated his 41st birthday! The hotel staff brought in a slice of carrot cake with two lit candles and the team raised the dining room roof with a very impressive “Happy Birthdayâ€. Happy Birthday Cassius!

The hotel is taking great care of us. The rooms are comfortable with good air conditioning, and the meals are just right. “Shorty†and “Eddie†(our bus drivers) drive us to and from the hockey pitch each day in comfortable air-conditioned busses, with our team bags following in a second vehicle. The tournament organizers provide an ample supply of water and ice. Physio Kevin Schalk is keeping the boys cool with his patented frozen towels and other trade secret heat busting techniques!

Everns Johnson is our local liaison officer: a Libra who turns 65 on October 19th, has 2 daughters, 9 grandchildren and is hoping that his soon to be born third great grandchild is a girl!!! Everns is a cricket enthusiast and has envited the team to a cricket test match on Sunday, our first rest day. Yes, you will hear about it in Sunday’s report!

Oh, did I forget to mention that we actually played our first hockey game today?? We played three 20 minute periods against host Tinidad & Tobago. It was just what the doctor ordered. A good, reasonably paced game. It was cloudy with a bit of a breeze and a five minute light sprinkle of rain. It was cooler than yesterday and the boys looked much better than they did yesterday when travel weariness and the hot sun took more of a toll.

Five minutes into the first period Hudson Stewart scored a smart field goal. Several attacks into the opposing circle followed, with Graham, Bruce, Devohn , Keegan and Stephen Bissett all having opportunities. Fifteen minutes into the first period Arne Oswald found himself in front of the net with the ball and made no mistakes to score the second goal. The balance of the game was fast moving two way hockey. Both teams had opportunities. We earned one penalty corner, with Jesse’s powerful drag flick just missing the top right corner. Final score: Canada 2, Trinidad & Tobago 0.

Back at the hotel the boys enjoyed more of Kevin’s aquasize in the pool, followed by a light snack, a team photo session most professionally choreographed by Charlie and photographed by Alvin.

As I write this memo to you the team is reviewing a video of the game and also some footage from international games that demonstrate a few of the plays that John Sacre wants to our boys to perform in tomorrow’s game against Argentina. Tomorrow will likely be more of a test as we face the Argies who historically always win this tournament. Will history repeat itself, or are the history books about to be rewritten? Stay tuned!

Patrick Oswald

:angry: On A MORE SERIOUS note, rumour has it the team lost 2-0 to the argies today. any news on how the game vs. Argentina went? :nerd:

3. Caveman14

Caveman14 FHF Newbie

Just great to see the team off to a good start with the 2-0 over T&T, from a source not to be named with inside the team I hear that 4or 5 players have been hit with a bout of food poisoning and that could very well have been what lead to the 2-0 loss to the argies in today's prep match.

4. hockeygal236

hockeygal236 FHF Newbie

or maybe its because Argentina is just a much better team...

5. keo13

keo13 FHF Starter

Is he not over 21? Depends on the age cut off I suppose, but he's a fair few years older than other names on that list.

6. dilip-tirkey

dilip-tirkey FHF Newbie

ya that was a joke...he is still eligible to play in this qualifier but he wouldn't have been picked anyways

7. Adam Dwyer

Adam Dwyer FHF Newbie

wow thats the team down there .... seriously who is picking them these days. the only guys who can create scoring chances are taylor self and mark pearson. and possibly mark erikson ... only if he runs 80 yards down field without passing. wheres mr butter and taylor curran ??? my advice to the coach is to get some real talent out there by faking the rob shaws passport. he was a real power house in the jrs.

8. dipset

dipset FHF Newbie

Someone on the team just informed me that Connor may have blownout his achillies tendon in training this morning.

9. wolfman

wolfman FHF Regular Player

Adam Dwyer - Taylor Self and Rob Shaw?! Are they related and you their mother and aunt?! Only way you could possibly say that with a straight face.

On another note, who cares who's on the team, the team's been picked, there's no point arguing about it. That's like winning the special olympics, even if you win, you've still lost. It's time to get behind this team and support them. If they qualify then you were wrong, if they don't, then AFTER is the time to look at the team and see what could've been done better.

One other thing, Mark Pearson is not down there, at least not to my knowledge. The team has changed and according to the FHC website, the below is the current line-up.

Bruce Currie
    Connor Meakin
    Hudson Stewart
    Mark Erickson
    Derrick Norton
    Devohn Teixeira
    Sean Ford
    Arne Oswald
    Ben Martin
    Geoff Houghton
    Stephen Paget
    Taylor Self
    Antoni Kindler
    Stephen Bissett
    Jesse Watson
    Elliot Marsh
    Keegan Pereira
    Graham Wiggins

10. Number13

Number13 FHF Regular Player

just saw today's result...a solid opener for the boys against guyana. 15-0. i just got off the chat/messenger after seeing connor meakin's brace of goals...apparently the physio has worked wonders with connor's blown achilles with tape, rubber bands and bits of string

11. bigdog

bigdog FHF Newbie

word on the street is that the trinidad team is getting psyched for tomorrow nights game against the USA and there could be a huge upset in the making

12. dipset

dipset FHF Newbie

how is that a huge upset?

13. hockeymom2

hockeymom2 FHF Newbie

too bad that the boys did not manage to squeak out a win vs. the US.
    The us must have come some ways over the past few years as i rememeber BC used to beam team in their series together.
    Hopefully these boys continue with the spot and start to feed / challenge for spots on the national team.

14. wolfman

Not surprising when you bring in a guy like Nick Conway to coach the juniors from the ground up and don't even have a junior program in Canada and then put John Sacre in charge. I'm really disappointed for the guys on the team, they beat Chile and showed remarkable fight scoring late goals to get results. Too bad they couldn't get the job done but if the FHC had backed the team and we could've taken the best team period instead of the best team who's families could afford $6000 then maybe we would be sitting here celebrating. At the end of the day it is the FHC who let this team down and the country down. Why do they even exist? It's not like they're getting us additional funding anyways. At the end of the day the players gave their all and lost in a shoot-out, never a fair way to lose in a team game. Hold your head high guys, you've done better than an all-star team with national team players did last time. Nothing to be ashamed about.

15. keely

keely FHF Legend

I can't seem to find the info elsewhere - how many teams qualify for the JWC from this?

16. TOTC

TOTC FHF Regular Player

From what I have read, three. Just like on the women's side.

Astonishing result by the Boys in Blue. And that's without the three boys in the U.S. scholastic system who are threatening to upset the apple cart. The leading scorer in the U.S. is a male. OK, so he's tied with two young women. Still, it gives one pause -- is now the time for varsity boys' hockey in the States?

17. wolfman

Yup - three - lost a place in the JWC on strokes - brutal way to lose it. Especially in a team sport. That being said, as this is the Canadian thread... what exactly does US varsity hockey have anything to do with this thread?

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

And what's very sad is that now there won't be any Canadian representation at the JWC at all. Not having a junior side at the top 16 in the world tournament sounds very much like a death knell to me. :no:

19. Liz

Liz FHF Newbie

Hey keels,
    check out the website: http://www.panamhockey.org/eng/index.htm

This has more details on who qualified.

But it is the top 3, so Argies, Chile and US.

We missed it by 1 goal it looks like.

20. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

The team with the best goalie won.