Keeping cool?

Discussion in 'Goalie's Zone' started by taxgirl, May 18, 2017.

1. taxgirl

taxgirl FHF Newbie

With summer season starting soon, I am looking for your best advice on staying cool during games and practices. Temps are hitting 95 F today (ugh) and my daughter was melting in her gear at her last tournament.

Other than constantly hydrating, any pro tips? Thanks.

2. Goalkeeperbrownie

Goalkeeperbrownie FHF Newbie

That's a tough one, my hockey season has just finished but the last couple of matches have been very hot. Being a keeper is a real struggle with the kit when it's hot.
    During tournaments, if you have time in between matches taking the top half off helps me as it's the bit I can throw off and on quickly.
    In practice, taking in fluids regularly and not pushing yourself to the point of overheating.

3. asahartz

asahartz FHF Super Star

4. taxgirl

taxgirl FHF Newbie

5. Ronan Passmore

Ronan Passmore FHF Regular Player

Wet towel on the neck at breaks when possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Nicola Harrison

Nicola Harrison FHF Starter

I opt to wear my skort under my shorts on hot days. I also have an older smock which is designed for summer as it's more vented with the micro holes.

I tend to also take a few bottles of water. As. Keep shouting to defence and heat makes for a dry throat so plenty of water is always a good call.

Wear a vest top under the body amour too it helps loose fit is always better same with smock. If you wanted for the smock you could always opt for short sleeved one which many favour in summer.

Make sure to lift helmet any available chance too if it gets too warm. There is also a bottle lid with straw for goalies which is good for during match to keep hydrated. Just put behind the goal to reduce risk of it getting hit and damaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

It may seem odd that you can be cooler wearing a tight fitting top under your body armor than nothing at all but from my experience its true. If you get one of those moisture wicking under-armor type tops specifically designed for hot weather play it will assist in taking the sweat from your skin and evaporating it away.

8. Michael Byrne

Michael Byrne FHF Top Player

I can second this, I use an under armour "Heatgear" (I'm fairly sure it needs to be the heatgear type rather than coldgear) baselayer top for roller hockey, (a sport that can be extremely hot) and it makes a massive difference to something like a light training top.