Managing Memberships

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by phi11ip, Jan 29, 2018.

1. phi11ip

phi11ip FHF Top Player

We currently store all of our membership details on Google Docs, which is a decent enough way of managing things due to the fact that we can collect data with forms, share with authorised people and also ensure it's pretty well protected. You'd hope that nobody is going to be hacking into Google Docs anytime soon...

The downside of this is that spreadsheets are, well, spreadsheets. It's great having everything on one page, but just a bit awkward when you want to send mass emails to certain groups and display data in a half-decent format.

There are plenty of alternative systems out there which claim to make life easier when it comes to managing members, sending emails, etc, however does anyone have any recommendations? Cost is a factor and so is security. If we're trusting a third party with our data then they need to be completely bullet-proof with their security, but at the same time it needs to be a significant jump in functionality to justify the expenditure.

Thanks!

2. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

We use Pitchero. Good functionality but poor on user friendliness. The apps are great and work better than the website however they don’t cover all the functions the web does.
    A big effort to get it running club wide which means we’re unlikely to change.
    The poor user experience means not all team managers use it properly especially the tech phobic. Ditto players/parents.
    Knowing what I know now I’d look at the alternatives before choosing Pitchero.
    Don’t get me wrong where it works and is used properly on things like availability and team selection it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mdevanshk

Mdevanshk FHF Star Player

We are using TeamSnap but only for the team management aspect which is great. It is also used for all team emails. We don’t use it for membership management since we are a multi sports club and this is handled at the club level

https://club-management.financesonline.com/ Might help

4. phi11ip

phi11ip FHF Top Player

Cheers for that. We may ultimately use it for our selections but for the time being we're just looking at a way of managing the users within the club, allowing access to approved individuals to send mails and view details and then making sure we're data protection compliant. There are loads of sports management apps floating around so I suppose it's just a case of finding the best and most cost effective ones. It may take a while for us to work out what we're doing but I'll post back here with an update when we do know where we're going. Thanks again.

5. Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus FHF Newbie

We (North Stafford HC) use a system called Mail Chimp to send comms out to members and it works really well - you have to upload the email addresses but we do this periodically each time our membership database is updated. It allows members to unsubscribe, which we think is really important as well as looking professional.

I don't have any more technical knowledge but its managed by Mac, who is a member on here - I don't know how to bring him into this thread so I'll drop him a text instead!

We then use Teamer for team management.This works well but its currently set up for managing 1 team at a time. Some of our players move between teams and therefore have multiple teamer accounts. It's not a real issue but it would be nice to be able to see the total player list and who is selected for each team, all in one place.

We are in the process of building our own website with the functionality of teamer and hopefully an electronic payments system that will allow members to join via an online form, pay electronically (paypal seems to be the best option here - see other threads for info on clubs that have looked into options in detail), and then be eligible for selection by captains in a similar way to Teamer. It's early days but more than happy to keep people updated as we go.

6. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

If you want a better version of a spreadsheet check out www.airtable.com its a good database system that I use for running the player pathway in Northumberland. You can filter the view to only show certain things (like paid / non paid members etc), so its easier to filter stuff that way. Loads of customisation in the fields, you can even add attachments etc. Emails I just copy the addresses for each group out and send that way though there are ways to integrate it with other systems, you can still use forms etc to gather new data and its easy to copy over items to different bases (their name for a different sheet).

For team selection my club uses teamer, its free and works though I wish they would add an option to have a club with teams within that. That way you could see that all members have been picked for a weekend but making a few different teams isn't too much of an issue.

#6 Craggsy, Feb 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:43 PM