Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF Super Star

There are 3 resolutions up for consideration including increase in club dues and I know you have more inside info about what this one means in practice for everyone else so was hoping you could expand!

2. Gingerbread

Hence the silliness of why the council meetings for Midlands Hockey always say there are no matters arising relating to Men's leagues!

G likes this.
  3. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

What the resolution means in practice has really not been defined - it could mean a lot, it could mean very little. Essentially what it is proposing is that England Hockey are empowered by its members to review (and make recommendations) about where the 'power' lies when it comes to organising things e.g. should some parts of the hockey structure become more accountable than they currently are, to a 'higher' party? If so, who should that be?

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

4. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Oooo... Have I heard something like this before, I wonder? Maybe like this Fred once posted by @G ?

G likes this.
  5. Gingerbread

That was covered several times in this thread already and it's in the Midlands Hockey website notes

Basically - they did a consultation circa start of 2015 season, didn't have much interest from clubs, clubs said it wasn't the solution to whatever it was meant to fix, they shelved it so maybe we're going full circle

6. G

G FHF Legend

I'll summarise. It is regarding league structure. From someone high in Midlands (not league) It suggests what should have been looked at before based on real world observations and informal discussion with some clubs

Once the meeting has happened I'll share that actual document as it will be public domain by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#906 G, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. Crocked82

Crocked82 FHF Top Player

Scrap pan Midlands leagues for Mids 1 & 2 as the standard of hockey does not justify the travel time.
    Below Prem split leagues East and West or whatever.

8. G

G FHF Legend

It's not the top end though it's all the way down.

Look at South Notts. Down to a scratch 1 team. They aren't even competitive at the bottom of the first team league structure. The fact that they are being thrashed every week means people stop playing and we lose another club.

They'd probably fit in the 3rd XI mid div 1 level. But they can't

It's all about getting as many people playing hockey as possible and closed leagues doesn't do it.

Yes at the top people play to win but at lower levels people just want a competitive game and that works in central...

Notty11 likes this.
  9. Notty11

Notty11 FHF Top Player

It needs to be done - Midlands hockey is years behind in every aspect IMHO....and Midlands hockey clubs have been/are suffering because of this....how much would Cannock/Leek love to have a 2nd team playing at a higher level now? Central leagues work...as proved in pretty much every other league region. A few years ago our 1's were in Mids 1/2 and the 2's were in Mids Prem......without doubt our 2's were in the tougher league playing national league sides second string.......that just isn't right/rational or makes any sense!

And like @G says - how long before the lads at South Notts decide they have had enough of not competing and getting whipped every week and are forced to fold due to lack of interest or players moving on? Be a sad state of affairs to see the club go...and sadly most clubs in the region i know are losing sides not gaining them...increase the chance for everyone to find their level and compete and more players will start playing/stick around once they're past their peak......

Sometimes leaders need to be strong and take decisions into their own hands for the better of the majority...I'm afraid Midlands hockey have let their clubs down already for not having done this a long time ago....

Mac likes this.
  10. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Interesting... I'm on the men's league committee and I have no clue what you're on about :D

11. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Our club chairman has asked what its actually about.

12. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

As for South Nottingham, let's not write them off just yet eh? They've kept going all season where others might have folded.

They weren't spanked every week either, take their 2-1 defeat against us, 3-1 last game against Mansfield etc.

What our setup doesn't allow, is new teams entering easily.

13. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I whole heartedly agree with a re think further done , as per my pervious posts here I m in a small club (SU Cov) only two teams , our seconds have won only 3/4 games in 3 seasons , we are ready to bring in 4-5 youngsters into the team but heavy defeats coupled with some baffling long journey fixtures may turn them away from wanting to play for us !

14. G

G FHF Legend

I think it comes down to something that @Stuart Burnside has said. EH can't really force any change when they think something is wrong. That needs to be driven by clubs. This would appear to give them the power to say something like 'we strongly suggest you look at your league structure as it's not beneficial to the sport of hockey'

As for South Notts. I think they'll survive but it's been close and the league structure doesn't help. But yes the other side is if group of lads who got together playing something like rush hockey (what EH want) and think 'I like this, let's start a club and join a proper league' a new 1 team club will join in he 1st team league where they'll likely struggle and give up...

SportBilly44 and Mac like this.
  15. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I've had the discussion ref. new teams. There's one local to us ladies only but an increasing number of men attend training. So far only thing to do is they come to us for league hockey :(

16. Wyn

Wyn FHF Newbie

Similar here - Started a 3rd team last year which went into the Central League (playing as Northampton 7s!) and had a great season - Won some, lost some.

This season get moved into 3rd team league and get panned every week - not much fun for our youngsters.

Would prefer a traditional linear league system where you go in at them bottom whether you are nominally a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and promote/relegate until you find your level.

17. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

And that is the reason I play for NSHC 2nd XI rather than either Stafford or Tamworth 1st XIs. I play a much better standard of hockey at 2nd XI W.Mids Prem than at 1st XI W/E.Mids1 or 2. And if I get promoted (not this year, o_O) it's National League 2nd XIs...

The system is bonkers.

18. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Come play for us. East Midlands 1 is better than all of them

19. Gingerbread

Relegation wise from NL, Leek are down but their 2-2 draw with Oxton means Cannock are safe after they drew 1-1 with Doncaster so only 1 to come down from NL into Midlands which should mean the normal 1 up 2 down from Midlands Prem and 2/2 from Midlands One

Midlands Prem wise, Bournville lost to Loughborough and Barford won so it'll come down to last game of the season.

If Bournville don't beat Lichfield then they'll be down with North Stafford.

If they win then one of Loughborough Town, Barford, Worcester or West Bridgford will go down - all on 21 points currently

BT are playing LT and Worcester are playing WB

A draw between LT and BT and Worcester / WB would put Barford down due to goal difference.
    If LT or BT win = they stay up and it would be the loser of Worcester / West Bridgford who goes down because of GD. A Worcester/WB draw would also send Barford down if BT and LT draw, or send the loser of that game down

Midlands One wise, Barton managed to lose 7-2 to Warwick but still get promoted with Rugby as Sutton Coldfield drew with Warwick Uni leaving the league winner to come down to whoever wins by more next week as they're both on 50 with Rugby + 1 goal. As Rugby play Burton at home and Barton play Bridgnorth away they will both want to put in a lot of goals

Midland Two sees Hampton promoted with a fight between Boots and Stratford for second - they play each other at Stratford and a draw would send Boots up due to GD. Shrewsbury and Leicester are relegated

20. ted16

ted16 FHF Top Player

someone said this once. Think it was Frank Herbert: “Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?”