Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

...and 10 others! ;)

It's probably about time I point out our coach travels up from Leicester to Derby? @sord89 ...but I've heard their M1s keeper is a right arse!

2. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Just chased the Derbyshire clubs for the open-league vote that ends on the 31st January.

For those at other clubs, please remember that no vote is a "NO" vote - So if you're wanting an open league your club needs to remember to vote!

Ravennghorde and Elliot like this.
  3. sord89

sord89 FHF Star Player

Ha, thanks all. I'll have a look at them all. I have no idea about hockey clubs below national league based above Northampton so this is giving me somewhere to start which is helpful! (Open league is good down here in the south)

4. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

http://www.mrha.co.uk/tcclubmap.asp gives you a list of clubs by county. Few old clubs no longer in existence or have moved to another league but primarily it'll give you a good idea of who is where.

5. sord89

sord89 FHF Star Player

Ah cheers, I'll take a look. Also good to hear the clubs that spring to mind by the people who are in the area. I know a few clubs down here I wouldn't recommend. I wouldn't publicly have a go but I wouldn't recommend them - I'm sure those sort of clubs can be found everywhere.

I may even see you at Derby at some point! I think I know your coach, he was messaging me a few weeks ago about the best video analysis software to use and what I currently use so I hope he is making use of it for you ;)

6. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    Just so you know, I was having a joke about West Bridgford - they're getting smashed in our league. Probably the best hockey on offer (apart from Beeston and Nottingham Uni) in Nottingham is Boots I'd say. Nearby, without a doubt is Belper, in Derby, they play some really good stuff and are currently sitting top in the Mids Prem, along with a clubhouse pitchside and a v nice pitch.

7. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

When did Belper move 20 minutes drive south to be in Derby? ;) Agree with the rest of what you said though. New clubhouse being built in fact!

G likes this.
  8. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Only umpired Belper once at home for the vets but they were a great bunch of guys, treat you well at the club house, just needs tap beer to be complete tbh (but then so do Leek and I love their place)

9. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Our last (sadly) mixed Plate match in Derby last season included a trip to The Abbey (Sam Smiths pub) and pizza outside in the park! I believe our opposition from the Wirral were rather impressed by our random hospitality...as our usual pub couldn't host us!:cool:

10. M7oet

M7oet FHF Newbie

With regards to Open Leagues has anyone looked at using the formula to see where their team will end up? From what we can see due to the weightings being given to 2XI Prem this creates a larger gap between 1XI Div 1 & Div 2 which currently means the bottom two in 1XI Div 1 (Bridgnorth & Old Hales) would still end up scoring higher than the top two in 1XI Div 2 (Chesterfield & Stratford). Surely that can't be right?

*The below is based on current standings and may contain errors in the formula...

upload_2018-1-17_13-45-10.png

11. Gingerbread

I'd assume they'll do the relegation and promotion, then make the final decision so teams don't miss out

12. M7oet

M7oet FHF Newbie

Their formula takes into account promotion and relegation so I don't think that's the case but we might have missed something.

13. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I think you've missed something in the calculations because I've hand-calc'd it and they are the right way around?

Chesterfield 963 ish
    Bridgnorth 893 ish.

14. M7oet

M7oet FHF Newbie

That's interesting as we have the same for Bridgnorth but 100 difference for Chesterfield

My Chesterfield calculation: 800 + ((56.8/66)*50) + 20 = 863
    56.8 is their projected points after 22 games based on their 12 games so far

Intrigued because if my formula is wrong it means others will be wrong!

15. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

That'll teach me to not pay attention. I should stick to doing my day job I think!

Tbf not my place to speculate but if you make that 800 850...

16. Open League

Open League FHF Newbie

Anyone with any experience in establishing an open league in any sport will know that finding a perfect opening formula is impossible. It will always take a couple of seasons for anomalies to be ironed out through the natural process of promotion and relegation. To get to the stage of a vote has been a very long hard fought battle - the league committee has been openly against the principle for a very long time and may very well see a 'no' vote as a vindication of their position. It is important that clubs look to the longer term, the wider picture and beyond their four walls. They should not get hung up solely on where they might be positioned next season as the primary reason to vote no. The current system restricts the development of smaller clubs and places an absurd artificial ceiling at the top of the respective premier divisions (2nd, 3rd & Central) ruining many a Saturday afternoon.

If anyone thinks that a no vote will automatically lead to a revised concept and a repeat vote in 12 months time which might be considered more equitable, then I think you could be mistaken. If the committee wanted to do this by consensus then they would have taken a bit more time and created an opportunity for debate. By shutting the debate down and manipulating the voting system to count absent votes as 'no' can lead you to draw your own conclusions as to how they would like the result to fall.

I hope those clubs who are finding short term, parochial faults in the proposal understand that if the detail is rejected but they support the wider concept, then it will need them to put forward new people onto the league committee, not just suggestions, to actually bring this to reality. A second proposal that they find more palatable is very unlikely to be delivered on a plate by the current set up which has never demonstrated any enthusiasm to make it a reality.

17. Gingerbread

To be fair to the league, the amount of work they have done on THIS proposal (vs the previous one) suggests to me they are much more open to the idea and are listening to the teams and what they want, it must have cost a lot of money/time to do all the work and various options and analysis. I do hope teams do vote yes or at least take part and that the results are listed as yes/no/didn't vote not just yes / no

Elliot likes this.
  18. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Last time I checked I was pretty enthusiastic to help deliver change if it is agreed by the clubs in say, a vote!

But I thank @Open League for pointing out I'm not. Sorry everyone! :rolleyes: