Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Two plus sides for me at least, when I play it's bottom tier Central league so don't really lose anything from them saying no and I umpire women's which is open league :p

2. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

But the clubs will have higher teams of course, so I was thinking perhaps more if you know a club secretary or chairman or club captain type thing?

Whatever the result, I've enjoyed the debate and discussions with players of my own club and others really on the pros and cons.

3. Gingerbread

Our club did it at a meeting and I believe they have voted. Not really in contact with other clubs, I wonder if it's teams lower down the 1st team tier who said no perhaps a status issue and fear of going down the tiers and losing to 2nd teams?

4. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Glad the votes are going in :)

Not all is as straightforward as 'expectation' ;)

5. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

Will be interesting to see how the leagues end up anyway... Belper Signing the Boots polish forward makes them stronger. Worcester look dead and buried.... Will boots still dominate without their corner goals?

6. Gingerbread

Worcester lost a few players to Stourport - talking to one of the guys there they were going to join at the start of the season but ended up going through after a few games so Worcester couldn't replace them, I guess they are playing a few 2s players so might be good for them to learn if they're younger and then play Midlands 1 next season

7. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Someone who doesn't want to talk about the open league structure debate...HELLO! :D;)

Ref. Worcester I would suggest the comments by @Gingerbread are spot on having played in both divisions (before I got slow, fat and unable to stop a hockey ball!) - So long as those players keep their chin up through the tough results...it'll be good learning for the Div 1 season.

I told Damo he should have come to Derby instead, East Midlands 1 is the pinnacle of the league. Seems he preferred Belper.

#1167 murph, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    G likes this.
  8. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

3 days to go!

9. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

Belper pulling away in the Prem , Boots or Barford for div 1 and looks like chesterfield will seel div 2.
    some suprises in the prem tho some teams putting a run of games together now. Barton banging them in this weekend too

10. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    Not really. They scored 10 versus Worcester (weakest team in the league by a country mile) but got trashed by Bournville 6-2. (8 or 9 would've probably been more accurate).

11. Gingerbread

I am curious why Belper had a point off but nobody else in the league did - I guess YC totting up but seems odd that nobody else in top 3 tiers does. If it was something like a mistake over an illegible player you'd have thought it would be 3 and I can't see any open red cards for them.

Did notice the below though on Midlands website, I've deleted team and player name even though they are public, no further comment.

Cat B

Attempted violence with the second swing of the stick aimed at an opposition player’s head and then refused to leave the playing area despite several requests.

60 days

Then Breached the suspension by playing in a men’s league match registered under a different name.

78 days

12. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Only one team had anything deducted for the discipline process at the last checkpoint and it wasn't them.

As for the other thing you discuss. All I can say to what went on is :rolleyes: but it's been dealt with.

13. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

My understanding is they played an illegible player for 3 games before he had transfered....unfair if you ask me 9 points for all 3 wins should be deducted .

14. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Playing devils advocate here (something I love doing ;) ) would you do that for all scenarios?

For example:

1. Form and transfer fee goes missing in the post, club secretary forgets to check for part C, player plays and the club then realises a few weeks later.

2. Club deliberately deceives by playing before submitting any paperwork.

3. Player 'forgets' they played in a league game for another club in the previous season.

I don't know the details of the specific incident you refer to but should it not be a case of the punishment fitting the crime?

NOTE: I have actual experience of scenario 3 there - Only 'realised' after playing 10 league games....eeeeeeeek!

15. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

Breaking the rules is breaking the rules enough said in my opinion what is the point otherwise

16. Gingerbread

Caveat should always be that punishment meets the crime. A deliberate breach of the rules should void all results where the player is involved, an accidental breach, especially where there is no major impact (e.g. plays in a game the team wins 10-0 (or loses!)) should not get the same punishment.

If you want to see overkill, a couple of years ago Legia Warsaw played Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers. Legia won the first leg 4-1 and second leg 2-0. Legia played a guy in the second leg for FOUR MINUTES which made no difference at all to the result as the 2 leg tie was already dead. The guy was suspended at the time AND had missed the required number of games, but he wasn't registered (due to a technicality) in Legia's squad for the games he missed so they didn't "count" as his suspension. For that 4 minutes where he did nothing at all, UEFA gave the result as 3-0 to Celtic meaning they went through on away goals.

17. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

surly that doesnt matter , in the mids prem a team with an extra sub can make all the difference, there is no way ok knowing the impact the player had on the game, but being fresh legs is enough to only lose 1 point is poor especially if he played 3 games !!!

18. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Out of interest, do you play for one of the chasing pack in the Mids Prem?

I agree with punishment matching the crime - Only have to look at red card mandatory minimum (and subsequent extra days) to see where a proporionate response works clearly!

Could you imagine how our criminal justice system would be if it was one punishment for all?!

19. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

I do find it mildly amusing that in the HIGHEST division of Midlands Hockey a club is docked one point for playing an illegible player, yet in the LOWEST division of North West Hockey, Brooklands 7th team played an illegible player (nos 17 on the team sheet) and have been docked 3 points.
    Who was this extra 17th player ?
    was it Jamie Dwyer ...no
    was it Ashley Jackson ... no
    was it Maj Dyand Chand ... no
    it was just a 13 year kid.

Safe to say if this happened against Brooklands at this level of hockey, w would NOT complain, and would be chuffed for the oppo, that they had so many young kids wanting to play.
    Also safe to say we are looking forward to the reverse fixture ;-)

please note I have no knowledge of the Belper incident and it may very well be that the 1 point deduction is completly fair and equitable.

20. Gingerbread

I believe (happy to be corrected) that the league sec chooses the punishment (within the boundaries set in the rules) and unless these situations are identical then one getting 3 and one getting 1 deducted is neither here nor there