Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I don't find it amusing, it puts extra work on those having to process!

Again going devil's advocate and I just stress strongly in my personal opinion, referring back to the scenarios I posted and assuming your team sheet has 16 numbered rows. I'd find it hard to mitigate against a deliberate breach of the league rules.

Slightly different from not getting a bit of paper and a fiver in the post.

I would suggest if it did happen against your side, you complain in the exact same manner using the correct procedures referring to the correct rules. You can also look internally at how the squad make ups are, was there some bloke who played for the only time this season as a favour in say... The 5s that blocked a cascade upwards, freeing a 7th team spot for the extra player? That way the integrity of the rules remains.

As I said to someone in passing once upon a time:

"Everyone else does it, is not an excuse to do it."

Fascinating debate though!

2. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

One team docked 3 points two seasons ago for not being able to play a re arranged match in late December another team continuely rolling their re arranged game for weeks on end. Yes one rule for one one for another. Precedints don’t count when it idoesnt suit .......

3. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

For the first one, was the game on the official slip date or another date? If on slip date I can't see the issue, if on another day, especially out of league window I could see the issue.

Moving a rearranged date more than once, I'd complain to the league, they may not be aware of the issue

4. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Both games rearranged due to weather . The 14 day rule ? Excuse if if I m wrong was involved. We lost 3 points due to the fact we didn’t have enough players to play , 2 years later a team have rolled on 6 weeks or there abouts without playing ( home team that is ) at least one of the weekends was cos they had a “night out “

5. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

But it’s a different set of circumstances seemingly .......

6. Gingerbread

League games have a slip date e.g. for this weekend gone, rearranged games have to be on or before the 18th Feb i.e. 2 weeks after the Sunday after the cancelled game. League rules (11.7) state that if you can't get a home game then you should play away rather than delay.

Under rule 14 the team that cancelled must give, within 3 days, notice of the rearranged game to the opposition and division secretary of the new date and the slip date is mandatory under 14.2 unless the team has a game on the rearranged date or a higher priority game or has permission from the league secretary, so if a team has pushed back for 6 weeks you have a strong case to demand the points especially on the grounds players were hungover

As an aside, unless your club has 1 team in it then I am not sure how you could justify not having enough players, you are required under league rules to promote rather than concede so 2nd team should lose players to help 1st fulfil the fixture

7. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    As a player for a team in the top 4 of the Mids Prem, I personally don't feel super outraged by only a 1 point deduction. Maybe 3 would've been better, but definitely no more than that. For me, because Belper are certainly a strong side, who are now quite a long way clear at the top, I don't really feel like that player made a whole lot of difference - they were a good team before this illegible player. Obviously this shouldn't make a difference in terms of the decision by the league as rules are rules, but I feel it would've been worse if it had been a club doing poorly and then they suddenly bring in an international who is illegible and voila start winning. Just my two pennies worth.

8. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Wondering about this mystery "illegible" player. Was his registration form filled out with poor handwriting?

9. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

If you saw some of the ones I was given last season, everyone would be losing points!

10. Open League

Open League FHF Newbie

Well done clubs - we finally have a Men's Open League

65 voted for (78%)
    16 against (19%)
    2 abstentions

Pretty overwhelming, so all the more disappointing that it took so long but now time to look to the future...

11. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Hopefully the final result will stop speculation on everything. :rolleyes::D

12. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

That was meant to say a little more!

Just as a reminder, the 'spreadsheets' circulating / have been posted on social media are not official and therefore do not necessarily reflect anything for next season. Many things can change (teams / clubs in or out etc.) and the ranking formulae not checked.

I as a committee member sitting here today know just as much about where my team will be for 2018/19 as you do. I have a vague idea based purely on the proposal document diagram alone. Just going to focus on keeping the ball out of the net.

13. Gingerbread

It'll be interesting but I cannot see any bad long term stuff here, teams will find their footing with equal teams and enjoy the hockey. There cannot be a single team in say the second team league who looks forward to going and being thrashed 10-12 times a year by Belper, Cannock, Loughborough Students, Beeston etc

14. G

G FHF All Time Great

And there will be clubs that moan about their placement. At worst a season or two will sort that out and prove to everyone you were wronged, but most likely not!!

To paraphrase the local residents in ‘Hot Fuzz’... The greater good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Gingerbread

I believe the saying is "get good scrub"

If your 1st team isn't good enough to beat seconds (or maybe even thirds) of a top team then do you honestly deserve to be in a league above them?

G and Ravennghorde like this.
  16. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

17. Jg hockey

Jg hockey FHF Starter

as far as i can work out the only clubs/people moaning about where they are placed are the ones that deep down know are not good enough to beat 2nd teams of some clubs. Players should not be punished because they are loyal to a so called big club and playing 3rd team when they would be strong players at some 1st xi teams in mids 2 for instance. The only teams who will be winning games too easily over the next couple of years ironically will be 2nd and 3rd teams placed too low, not 1st teams who believe they are too good.

18. Gingerbread

I suspect if NL don't let 2nd teams into the top flight then players at the likes of Cannock 2nds may well move to say Lichfield (as a random example) if Lichfield 1s were getting promoted.

Agree with the rest of it

19. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I was just glad to get back to worrying about hockey!

Beating Mansfield was a nice thing! Now 50% of the league seperated by just 3 points!

20. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Is it open leagues across the board ? I can see some of our better younger players being enticed to play elsewhere which is fair enough if they going to better themselves hockey wise. As a member of a “smaller” club that probably can’t compete with some of the bigger clubs seconds Tis a little worrying personally but do firmly believe after a few years each team will find its natural position! Hopefully will put paid to long journeys for some teams particularly those lower down in the leagues .....