Midlands Leagues

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by ted16, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

I believe the plan is to have regional zones which eventually get into Midlands to mean reduced travel.

Honestly I can't see open leagues changing the desire of youngsters who are potentially NL players to want to go somewhere with the best coaching and most opportunity. If for example in Birmingham, a 15 year old girl who was potentially good enough to play at the top, who was playing at say Edgbaston or Bournville (ladies Midlands 1s and Feeder West respectively) was spotted by or saw an opportunity to play at say Olton or Sutton Coldfield where they could perhaps eventually play 1s at National League level, they could do so already. The men's league being closed and going open isn't going to change that as they could still go play 2s at say Beeston and hope for a look in at the 1st team even if the leagues were to remain closed and they'd probably be playing a higher standard of hockey against Loughborough Students 2s, Uni of Birmingham 2s etc

nemo likes this.
  2. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

3 tiers of hockey, a full midlands tier, an east/west split tier, and then below that north west/north east/south west/south east.

Travel times in theory should reduce, though I would still expect some (unavoidable) anomilies.

3. Gingerbread

I'd have still gone with NE NW SE SW as West will be huge vs East

4. Harry P

Harry P FHF Newbie

I think it’s more complicated than east is smaller than west

In north east it’s packed to the gunnels with teams but the south east is very low numbers wise really why not have a div or 2 less there and put them as north east or north west if that’s where the teams that would be chucked into that south east league are really based. Let’s not have 7th teams going from Nottingham to Birmingham every week it’s not sensible

5. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

This doesn't actually happen at the moment (take a look at Central South East 2) so can be avoided :)

6. Gingerbread

South East you could include Leicestershire and some of Warwickshire alongside Northamptonshire to get enough teams e.g. Nuneaton, Coventry, Rugby

Shouldn't be too hard if you plot them all out and draw some lines to get the teams close to each other so they don't have to travel too far

7. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

G likes this.
  8. G

G FHF All Time Great

I remember playing in the north west. Some lovely seaside days out !!

And yes. Some away games were torturous.

But even in the Notts Women’s League, which is just an open county league, when Worksop play South Nottingham, that’s a 2 hour round trip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1208 G, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 12:23 PM
  9. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

You can have Keele and Whitchurch back if you like, as they are both in the midlands :)

Bangor and Rhyl are both international fixtures, and too far away really for this level of hockey, Bangor being 95 miles for our two teams, which googles says is 1h45m each way. The NW league seem quite open to taking waifs and strays from other areas, not sure the folks making the decisions are the ones driving those distances though...

10. Harry P

Harry P FHF Newbie

Everyone above seems vaguely with a few small provisos about where and how to do it.

But in my eyes if your not playing a let’s say good level of hockey should you really be going over an hour each way to win 8-0 when the oppo pull the return fixtures with alarming regularity. But don’t get me started on blanks all over the shop.

11. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I agree for those playing a higher standard you should expect longer travelling times , but for those more laid back / social / play on a sat for a bit of fun is it realistic to expect teams to have to travel 2 -3 hours or more round trips for their Saturday bash ? Off to Ludlow from Coventry this Saturday but I play 1st team hockey albeit at a lower league level but even still there is prob teams in the east that are closer to us geographically and perhaps other teams closer to Ludlow........

12. Gingerbread

Think that's why a couple of Midlands teams went over to East ultimately. I've got a 90-120 minute drive on Saturday, 144 mile round trip, looking like if traffic is bad I need to leave about 8am to get there an hour ahead of the game. My colleague on Sunday does EHL games and has a game in South Wales on Saturday and Durham the day after! Apparently EHL will allow expenses of £45 for a hotel for longer journeys

13. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I don’t know the whole midland set up but particularly for lower level hockey and using my club as an example , Sikh Union Cov. There must be enough teams in cov , Warwickshire,Nuneaton, south Birmingham and surrounding areas to build leagues that have smaller travel times than current set up .... again (under closed league set up ) I expect too travel with firsts just some weird match ups , Ludlow , Stafford , market Drayton etc. If travelling times were cut I feel it would encourage people to play as they don’t have to write off the whole day particularly at a lower level. Which may lead to players staying in the game for longer , new starts not being discouraged ( as pointed out above drastic Miss matches and teams pulling out of return fixtures ) more players more teams more enjoyment

14. Gingerbread

That is the plan for open leagues with N/E/S/W regions below the top 3 Midlands tiers

nemo and G like this.