Review (GK) Monarch GCP01 LHP

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by nemo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Been a avid lover of monarch gcp 01 range for a couple of years. Bought the lhp during the summer as a replacement for my beaten up one that had been custom made for me.

First impressions when it arrived was it was a little larger decent weight and the palm ball felt ok .....

However used it in a few games and a few training sessions. The rebound is considerably less. It feels like a "dead" contact similar too obo cloud or yahoo, the balance feels wrong , I m constantly shoving and pulling my hand up and down to try and make it feel natural. The wrist cuff feels too tight making that water bottle snatch during the game a gamble. The palm ball system is simply too small for for my shovel sized hand and feels unnatural.

A small pedantic point is it has no markings , normally the edge of the glove has Monarch embossed foam. My one was completely plain.

I did try to send it back but used the wrong address as I was interested in having it tested but alas I made a mistake with the address and it it was returned to sender.

I ll only use the new glove in training to prolong my heavily taped original lhp or even revert to my obo hi rebound back up glove for games.

All in all disappointed, given my general disapproval of obo , based on no rational reasoning bar I think they overpriced , I might try another brand next season.

2. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

Gutted that it's not gone well. I haven't heard anything from Monarch since early this year. I'm guessing they are winding down? My LHP from a couple of seasons ago has lost a good chunk of rebound now. I've got a barely used Mercian Evo that I'm trying out.

3. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Let me know how the Mercian stands up !

4. Dak2099

Dak2099 FHF Starter

@nemo It sounds like they have changed the design since i brought my GCP01 after Monarch were taken over. This is my LHP. It has the brand name. The rebound isn't as impressive as the kickers but does the job when needed.
    Maybe it was missed by their QA department?

IMG_1557.JPG IMG_1558.JPG

5. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I was comparing it with the custom made gcp that I was lucky enough to have made. I sold the newer model and still using my old one.
    The branding didn’t bother me , the in my opinion , performance did . I m also lucky enough to know the designer and actual hands on maker of the kit , the newer pad had a different internal set up that I guess I just couldn’t get on with ....