Videos Monday Night Hockey is back....

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Beardymanbristol, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

It's the start of the new season so Monday Night Hockey is back, this time sponsored by that Zebra that hangs around Lee Valley.

Although it's ace to see it back, I had real trouble watching it as the video quality was so poor - jumping frames and missing TV lines. Was it just my internet being rubbish (tried on laptop and smart telly) or did other people have the same issue? Just wondering as it would be better to let Galvanised know if it's not just me so they can improve for next week. Not out to bash them at all, I know they don't have the cash and equipment that BT Sport are able to play with.

RenneRs likes this.
  2. dave454

dave454 FHF Legend

I've just watched it, and the frame rate was definitely off.

Probably just a one off tech issue, as their coverage is usually excellent.

3. Beardymanbristol

Cool that it wasn't my stuff but not cool for Galvanised. Like you said, last season was brilliant so I'm sure it was a one off.

RenneRs likes this.
  4. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    Was it broadcast as a live video? I watched this morning and it had 15 seconds of dead air at tge start, that might be why there was the frame rate drops if the stream hit a view cap and had to be bumped onto a stronger server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

agree. quality was poor and for the slough ladies game to coverage was too distant.

lets hope it was a one off issue. Has always previously been pretty good

6. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    Need to send a veo match video camera to each game and 2 go pros, coverage sorted

7. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Have passed this idea on, thanks. However it won't change the issue of there sometimes not being a decent vantage point to film from (Slough, floodlight stanchions in the way), and three cameras means 3 hours plus footage to edit from for each game. Given how quickly people expect the turn around....

RenneRs likes this.
  8. Jake Harvey

Jake Harvey FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour DII
    Wouldn't mind if it was tuesday or even wednesday night hockey, but was pretty sad to see that the video was essentially unwatchable.. Great to have it back for the season though!

9. Beardymanbristol

I'd be happy to wait too.

10. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    Veo is ment to track play and "self edit" I don't know about the quality of the program that does it though. But it comes with (I believe) for lack of a better term a really big stick to video from to give a good vantage point. And you could use the time code from that footage to know when to cut to a static camera overlooking the D. It more clubs could have this setup it would potentially (depending on the self edit quality and any required tweaking) that you could cover more games with less man power (1 person to setup and maintain the cameras per game)

RussellButt likes this.
  11. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    I don't think VEO is for this kind of production. VEO is more for video analysis and as far as I know they are still not in full production. Each camera will cost around $900 so not sure if it's worth it for Galvanised Hockey to invest in.

RussellButt and BossFHockey like this.
  12. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    I would argue that if it has a HD or higher video quality (when either zoomed to a good watching angle or in the self edit function) then it can absolutely be used for this kind of thing, it's hard to say definitively as 1. (as you said) its currently not in full production and 2. Veo.co is blocked by my works new filter so I cant check.

But if they have a self edit filter that will track the ball movement with a variety of zoom levels you could use this to create a highlight package of the match that would (arguably) be of similar quality to the current videos being used, the price is the biggest issue I'd say but maybe Veo would be interested in some kind of agreement as a proof of concept that might sell some bigger clubs towards investing in a similar product to either make their own highlights or for reviewing their own match play. Can't hurt to ask to try one for a couple of games or something, worst that will happen is they will say no. My main thought was if this allows for them to cover more games with limited manpower this could be useful to galvanised especially if the self edit works really well.

Also @RussellButt do you know if the Galvanised people have contacted GoPro about sponsorship? I know they do sponsorship packages

13. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

I've not been involved in approaching sponsors, but I know the gaffer has been spreading the idea far and wide.
    Obviously Investec is a great coup and brilliant that they're still so invested in the sport.
    There may be more to come.
    GoPro definitely worth a shout. We use enough of their kit.

14. Beardymanbristol

@RussellButt - big thumbs up (or trousers nearly down) for the hockey shed. Cheers!

RussellButt likes this.
  15. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Only just twigged that Russell Butt is an FHF'er.

Good show, hoping to see some more.

RussellButt likes this.
  16. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

Thanks guys. We're really nervous about trying something new. But confident we can get some good, fun content to come.
    Ross was brilliant. His knowledge, my word!

Hockeyfan95 and CG14 like this.
  17. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

And quite a lot of people won't like change. If the human race hadn't tried new things, we'd never have the wheel or sliced bread (bit of an extreme I know).

I thought it was a great show, very insightful and enjoyable. My facebook feed is full of people sharing it so hopefully you stick with it.

Ross is a great guy, I thought I was a hockey nerd til I met him!! His rapport with the EH players, and most hockey sides in general will definitely help them get on board easily!

RussellButt likes this.
  18. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

Re the hockey shed,
    Please don't let your guests trot out the old "it's a very long way to travel to Manchester to play BrooklandsMU/BowdonH" as an excuse, as it ignores the simple fact that both of these teams have to do a long trek every other week, not just once a season. Brooklands are entering their Kent trilogy with succesive away games against Canterbury, Sevenoaks and then Holcombe, who says EH don't have a sense of humour?

Also, for the pedants, of which there do seem to be many around here, neither Brooklands or Bowdon are actually in Manchester, although I will admit we do share the same rainy season weather.

Props to Ross for knowing the names of some Brooklands players, little flan heeding Ross's call to score some goals with a brace against EG. If I send some more names along can Ross have the same effect on them please?

redumpire likes this.
  19. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

I'm sure Ross will see this and oblige for his next appearance.
    We're not going to control what guests say, that would be completely against the spirit of what we're trying to do (unless they say something particularly un-PC, which is unlikely). It's supposed to be light-hearted chat and a bit of fun - you should have got that vibe or we're doing it wrong.
    Unfortunately due to us being based in the south and requiring our guests come to us for filming, there is likely to be a southern bias, which is logistical and nothing more.
    However, there may be a northern accent appearing soon...

20. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

Don't control what they say, just light heartedly (as I was trying to do!) point out that Manchester to London is the same distance as London to Manchester.
    There was supposed to be a smiley in my other email, I see it got lost somehow, I will add another at the end of this msg.

Not worried about southern bias, keep up the good work :)

RussellButt likes this.