Moving clubs

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Hockeyfan95, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

Hi guys, recently joined this site but have been reading different threads for a while. I have recently moved group from a club to a new one and want to know how i can get off on the right foot? And impress the coach and new teammates? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. SteveyDGK

SteveyDGK FHF Starter

I would guess being friendly and approachable, and turning up to training etc is a good start. Being easy to deal with is good from a captains perspective (ie if you reply to emails/texts promptly, and dont change your mind or drop out late)

3. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

Make cake. Or cookies. Works a treat.

4. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

I've played two games and scored the winner in a cup game but I play the same position as my new captain so finding it hard to get time on the pitch

5. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

so maybe show some flexibility and make clear that you are willing to play at a variety of positions. making it you versus the captain for pitch time is not a great battle to take on at a new club!

6. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

I've tried haha I've offered to play midfield for him and everything but he seems to have made up his mind, but just going to keep going training and hope he sees potential

7. Johnny Heath

Johnny Heath FHF Starter

Good luck. Bide your time.

8. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Joining a new club at the end of the year. Made it clear I'm happy to play at whatever level they need me.

9. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

Good luck with your move! Just kinda daunting as it's a big club that plays in the national league so lots of good players

10. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Depends what level you are playing at. If you are in one of the upper squads, it’s usually more the coach picking the team than the captain. The size of the club is also relevant.

Eg having run a large club with a high flow of new joiners year round, I can tell you a lot of our effort went into trying to get people into the right squads.

The basics are fairly important if you want to progress:
    1 look after your personal fitness
    2 turn up on time or early for training and games
    3 be ready to go, eg not hungover, don’t forget kit / generally be a pain
    4 consider if you can be a driver as it helps on away games
    5 be a nice person - eg make sure you are in group warm ups rather than on your own, be the sort of person people want to spend time with

That’s useful at all levels. Then:
    1 ask what you need to do to get better, eg tips for what you can practice at home
    2 learn how your team mates play & how to work with them to fit it into the unit
    3 make your focus improving you to improve the team rather than what team you should be in. A stated intent to play higher can be positive said privately to a coach, but said to team mates it can sound like you think you’re better than them & disrupt a team dynamic.

Obsessional players who are convinced they are better than they are can be a real problem - always try to put team and club first as a strong team will beat an aggregate of talented individuals who can’t work together properly.

Final tip - remember to enjoy it.

11. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

Thanks very much! I'll definitely keep this in mind l!
    I'm playing for the 3s at the moment and trying to get as much training as I can, as it's a national league team they have lots of guys in the vets that know what they're doing so I go on Mondays as to train extra with them and learn as much as i can because they've been there and done it!