Moving up the teams

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Hockeyfan95, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

I recently managed to move up to the 2s at my club and was looking forward to it and my captain was really nice and welcoming but as soon as the match started I found it hard to impact the game, like every time we were transferring the ball around the other defenders didn't seem to want to pass to me even though they didn't have much else on. It sort of limited me showing the captain and team mates that I can be relied upon to step up as every time I got the ball I made the simple pass and even had an assist, but I was wondering if anyone as advice as to how I can try to fit in better?

2. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

It can take time. If you keep going and when you get time on the ball, prove yourself capable, then your team-mates will learn to trust you.
    I can say with almost certainty that it is not personal, it is just what happens when you are under pressure and have the option of an unknown or something you are familiar with.

Over time those barriers will fall and you will either prove yourself incapable or as is more likely, your team-mates will trust you and you will just be part of the team.

3. wheato7

wheato7 FHF Newbie

Don't try and do too much, keep it simple and do what you think is right. If you're seen to be attempting to do the right think the captain will be happier with than, as opposed to dribbling everytime to prove you can play at that level.

4. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

See if you can use part of a training session to get involved in ball movement with the other defenders. If they get used to passing to you in practice, it's more likely to carry over into a game. Good luck. Congrats on being moved up. It means your last captain liked the way you were playing.

5. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

Thanks guys for great advice, I'll try to just keep at it and do the right things, the captain was nice about it and saying he knows im a forward but pretty versatile so would like me to play defence for that game.. maybe thats why they didn't feel I was strong enough in defence?