National League games & chat 2017/18

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by FatForward, Sep 21, 2017.

1. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

Wimbledon lose again and EG up to second on goal difference! Wimbledon have got to come good at some point, surely they have got too much class not to! Holcombe next weekend is not going to be easy though.

Also next weekend is Surbiton v Beeston!

2. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

Didn't quite fancy watching the Leeds v Durham Uni game during Storm Brian on Saturday evening. Things are certainly hotting up in the North Conf.

Was very surprised to see Wimbledon not get a result this weekend! Have their heads been turned by the EHL?

Willowsacorns likes this.
  3. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

4. FatForward

FatForward FHF Top Player

Yes the coaches all got a letter a week ago outlining player availability for the rest of this season and a warning that 2018/19 will be equally challenging.

5. FatForward

I think what Ed Barney has done is take a proverbial hockey stick and bash the wasp nest with it (the wasp nest being the England Hockey Leagues). As a strategy to get engagement he gets an A+. I hope (a) England Hockey are very happy that the clubs are getting together to agree on their position (b) the clubs will agree upon something that has mutually beneficial outcomes. Of course an outcome could be a professional league that provides an income that makes a central contract less attractive ? A lot depends on how that and subsequent meetings go - could all fizzle out who knows.

6. ArbyJames

ArbyJames FHF Regular Player

I think this is a positive move. GB/England HAD to be in the Pro League or we risk getting left behind the rest of the world. Obviously that has repercussions for the domestic game but a lot of people, including people who post here have been saying for a long time that the domestic leagues need a shake up. It looks like the Pro League is the catalyst for this.

We absolutely have to move towards a more professional model which improves the overall standard and means players who do well domestically are prepared for the step up to international level. That is not currently the case, which is why we need the central programme. What that new model looks like is beyond me. There are people far better placed and better qualified to sort that out, but at least the clubs are being consulted. Fingers crossed the solution is a good one for as many people concerned as possible.

7. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

709ECB86-0B3E-4057-9DD9-E7B99668E877.jpeg F982B9CC-8251-47D1-A138-9B23C45AB4DA.jpeg

Some decent games on this weekend in Prem/East conf.

8. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

Every game in the Prem is a real crunch clash - top, middle and bottom.

East conf 3 big away games for Cambridge, Oxted and Southgate.

#48 Willowsacorns, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Mod update.

Hello folks. I've removed a lot of the unnecessary and irrelevant posts from this thread. They're all 'in storage' so can be re-instated if necessary, but it would be good if we could try to keep the discussion on this thread to current league issues, please.

Also, friendly inter-club rivalry is fine - in fact, it's to be encouraged - but please let's avoid the crass, sweeping generalisations that were made in one or two of the deleted posts. Thanks.

ArbyJames likes this.
  10. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

In relation to that umpiring thread about asking "How long left ump?" the correct and official answer is "still plenty of time for Brooklands to let the opposition take some points" - this could be used at any point in the 2nd half of our home games. Reading scored early, after a nice short corner switch move. Brooklands fought back and earned themselves a few short corners, all of which resulting in "not a lot" - other words were used during half-time, but not suitable for a family audience.
    After a couple more short corners, Brooklands realised that you were allowed to score from them and Pete Flanagan equalised. Little brother David got on the score sheet later with a fine flick into the back of the net. "How long left ump?" .....
    Readings equalizer didn't cross the line according to our players, a fact allegedly backed up by the video (I haven't seen it, and I was looking into the sun from 80 yards away so I have NFI) Another late short got Reading back in front, and despite a couple of late shorts at the death we failed to get a worthwhile shot on target. Good that we matched a "better team" all the way, damn disappointing to get nothing from the game.

I did mention to Tommy Alexander before the game that he would be okay as we had no students in the team, our only student being in Malaysia with GB U21, and I don't think he's Uni of Manc anyway.

Wimbledon at home next week, relegation 6 pointer ;-)

RenneRs and Theory like this.
  11. Thorney

Robbed by the umpires!

Had the umpires blown for full time when the game was supposed to be over we would have won 1-0, however they ineplicably and nerfariously decided to allow for the fact that the game pushed back 40 minutes late, and still play two full 35 minute halves. This allowed Wimbledon for the second year running, to recover from a first half deficit and pinch the points. It was a pretty even game throughout, they have a few players out with injuries, but are still a good team, but took a little time to get going. After last weeks short corner escapades, Brooklands decided to score from their first attempt, with a little deflection beating Bailey in goal. However not wishing to lose this 100% success rate, we decided not to win anymore for the rest of the game Last week 1 from 10, 1 from 1 this week...grrr!
    Half time (and the supposed fulltime) came and went, Wimbledon started a little brighter, and took their chances, whereas Brooklands were unable to create chances from some promising moves. Despite Wimbledon being 3-1 ahead, the game was still close and hard fought throughout. We took off our keeper near the end to no avail. ho-hum we drop to 8th, which is the position we sort of aim for at the start of the season

The delay was due to many of the Wimbledon squad coming on the day by VirginTrains, where they suffered various delays, and were stuck in some odd siding for 45 minutes.
    I can hear you all syaing "Yes it is a long way from London to Manchester" under your breath :)
    They brought loads of nice supporters with them, which helped raise our gate money pot to pay for our NASA sized travel distances over the season.

Holcombe away next week to complete the Kent trilogy, we've not managed to get any points off them so far, so here's hoping for a start next week.

In other news, from our 6th team match report:
    During this phase, 2 6s were standing on the sideline for card offences (allegedly) & one player asked the other player "I know what I've been carded for, what about you?" To which the other replied "I don't know, kicking the ball maybe? Umpire why have I been carded?" to which the umpire replied "I haven't carded you, are you just having a rest??!"

ps Surely I can't be the only person who watched a NL game and is prepared to jot a few notes down? (FatForward you need to do next weeks game as I won't be there)

Theory likes this.
  12. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Google tells me it's only about 200 miles. I know some country footy/cricket/hockey teams here that'd love to lay teams that close. o_O

Not quite as much traffic in the middle of nowhere here as there is between london & manchester though.

13. Thorney

I'll be "rooting" for them when they "lay" a team

The issue here is that teams in the Prem divisions all complain about travelling up north to play Brooklands or Bowdon Hightown, completely ignoring the fact that those 2 teams have to do long journeys every other week.
    As you say it's not just the distance to consider but the traffic on the roads on that journey, and in England "we are full"

14. FatForward

Alas I am away at Marden at 12 and will need to hotfoot it back hopefully for some of the second half. Our form seems entirely dependent on me wearing my lucky socks so I'm hoping we won't be too much in deficit when I get there.

15. FatForward

Regarding notes on games I've written about a few but wasn't sure if people wanted to hear. Happy to do so in future. I'm sure if I write about the game v Canterbury the Canterbury coach may have a different view. From a spectators view point the second Holcombe goal straight after half time seem drain the Canterbury team. It was a well contested first half and if the score had of stayed at 1-1 say by 50th minute then 'game on' but as I say the 2nd goal seemed to swing the match and Holcombe ran away with it. Young side though Canterbury, a couple of years of growing and they will be much stronger physically. Really impressed with Nathan McGuire thought he looked a quality player and James Oates was a handful. On the Holcombe side that's 8 goals in 3 games for Nick Bandurak - he is flying.

Thorney likes this.
  16. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Interesting to see Surbiton Ladies lose their 2nd game this season. Top of the Investec Prem looks different to recent seasons.

17. FatForward

So my take on Holcombe v Brooklands which Holcs won 3-0. I missed the first 20 mins as I was coming back from my match but the comment I got was 'it was scrappy' which I took to be error strewn. I was there in time to see FatForward jnr score to take the lead (albeit if the truth were known I was faffing about in the changing room and had to see it via a video taken on a phone). Bad I know. Second goal was an audacious chip and a first goal for one of our newbies. The third in the second half I hope has been filmed as it was a Barry Middleton beauty.
    The game itself was a normal Holc v Brooklands affair the visitors must feel generally really hard done by because the games are always so tight but the scoreline doesn't do justice.
    Interesting ending - no malice whatsoever in the game but two minutes from the end the visitors got a PC which broke down, some verbals broke out and one of the Brooklands players picked the ball up and lobbed it onto George Pinners faceguard. A lot was said by both sets of players but the umpires on confering decided '6 of one, half a dozen etc' and ordered a retake of the PC. Much verbiage was said at full time. A very odd finish.

18. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Their first home defeat since 15/2/14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Thorney

Surbiton organised a club wide weekend away in the far North. The ladies playing Bowdon Hightown on the Saturday and the men playing Brooklands on the Sunday.
    Bowdon Hightown had planned it well as Surbiton were shorn of their England stars who are out in Auckland, and that game ended 0-0.
    Unfortunately for Brooklands, but great for the spectators, Surbiton brought 7 current GB players in their squad, who had played some "indoor" games during the week.

Brooklands started quickly and took the lead after 2 mins, a goal I completely missed, as for my sins, I'm on the gate (my holiday in Barbados is nearly paid for though...). The goal was followed up by more good pressure from Brooklands and a couple of superb inter passing moves but no "outcomes" as all the coaches shout these days. Brooklands held firm and matched Surbiton in posssion and play. On 28 mins, a quick spin and hit seemed to deceive the Brooklands keeper and Surbiton levelled. HT 1-1

Surbiton upped their game a little in the 2nd half, to give them a little control over the game. A mishit clearance from Brooklands defence looped up for Forsyth to smash home. At this point as the Brooklands support have seen all too often, we can struggle to fight back and get back in the game against the top teams. However this was not the case as we continued to be in the game and create pressure, and in just 5 mins we were back level after a Cornell tap-in. Surbiton probaly had the more chance over the next 20 mins with a couple of shorts and other shots, but Scotty in goal looked safe and solid, we looked like we could grab a precious point. With just 2 minutes on the clock we got only our 2/3? short of the day, and looked to have ballsed it up at the top of the D but a slip, a drag and a nice deflection meant we were getting all 3 points! big roar from the crowd :)

At this point someone on the Brooklands bench asked the TD "how long left?" over the general hubbub in the crowd, the reply couldn't be heard properly, it was either:
    A) "I'll be with you in a minute, just let me finish another post on fieldhockeyforum"
    or
    B) "still plenty of time for Brooklands to let the opposition take some points"

Surbiton, to give them due credit, attacked strongly in those last 2 minutes, and although the initial backhand shot was going wide, it was well turned in by drayton-chana. Th last 60s were squeaky bum time, but 3-3 it finshed for the second year running. A deserved draw for Brooklands (yes I am biased of course) but if we play like that we'll be fine.

Had a nice chat with Chris Grassick's parents after the game, the other results went our way, so more beers were drunk to rest gently on those from the night before. This is Monday isn't it?

20. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

MO, not TD, please... ;)

Thorney likes this.