New rules to be trialled in Australia

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by VeteranKeeper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. VeteranKeeper

VeteranKeeper FHF Top Player

2. League Beast

League Beast FHF Starter

3. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

Seriously?
    Please keep it over there.

4. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

I agree, not a fan.

I feel like a major part of the issue with the fan appeal of the AHL is the fact it's a 9 day tournament in a single location. It got condensed from the previous format which saw AHL-level hockey being played in every state mostly because of budget issues, as far as I know. Switching from normal hockey to a novelty format won't change that. I think better off figuring out a way to have the top level hockey available in multiple places over a number of weeks again. Get some more coverage going, whether that's streaming them live and as replays, and/or managing to get 1 game a week onto FTA tv, or whatever. Even something as simple as some decent match reports with a highlights clip covering a couple of minutes for each match on the HA website could make a difference. Every AHL game is getting filmed and the footage is there for the teams, so use it to promote things. Even if it the only highlights are from that single camera high on halfway, it'll still make it much easier to follow the tournament and stay engaged from the other side of the country.

I feel like most grass roots level players, particularly juniors, basically don't even notice the AHL is on. It is good for the u13s who have their tournament run in conjunction with the AHL.

IF you want a variation featuring more goals, shorter games, bit more of a non-stop pace, there's always indoor. Which could also have some more effort made. The AHL-equivalent for indoor, the national championships, was just on and had only 3 men's and 5 women's teams. Hockey Victoria, whose CEO wants the sport to become more relevant across the country, didn't send a team for either comp.

BlindGoalie613 likes this.
  5. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    Interesting.

I kind of like the madness of some of it, 2 X 10min quarters (not halves?), 1v1 after a goal is in theory good to watch, I think the power play should be gain an outfield player or opponents lose one meaning if there's a card you could flip it to be a 2 man advantage, and leave the 1v1 in place of pc but have a flick in place of the 1v1 after a goal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Only to be played as a trial for one day event, why not at least have a look rather than make all teams trial. to me will be worth the look if for nothing else than curiosity

BossFHockey likes this.
  7. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

I rather like a few of the ideas.
    1. Nominating a period where your goals are worth more is an interesting idea. I wonder how it would be used.
    2. 4 short quarters, I am not sure really, the sports with the biggest attendances in Australia and other parts of the world have much longer games than hockey. (Both rugby codes, AFL, soccerball) But it would be interesting to see the effect on the game play of much less playing time.
    3. Substituting PCs for 1-on-1s, I rather like that idea.
    4. Conversion of a field-goal with another 1-on-1. Solves the annoyance people had in the Hockey India League with extra points for a field goal, and ensures that a field goal is more valuable than a PC goal. Brave move, but who knows... it may just work.
    5. Anything which brings mixed hockey to a wider audience is good by me. I love mixed hockey.
    Over the piece, 1 and 4 could be seen to be having conflicting aims, but still workable. The commentary would have to make it clear when a team scored a goal but got 2 points (powerplay).

I think if one rule could be discarded it would be the powerplay. But lets see what happens.

8. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

What is the overall aim of these, to have more goals and or to influence player and team behaviours?

9. aussieump

FHF Moderator

The overall aim is to seek new ideas and methods of attracting people to the sport either as players or spectators which in turn become revenue through gate and television rights..
    All businesses should review what they do and if they could do things better, sometimes the need to trial some ideas is paramount to the overall benefit of the business.

I am sure that the powers to be have investigated ideas and are seeking public input, via these games, to see what may be useful for the sport.

10. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    An absolute joke, can't imagine why it's even being trialled. It won't go ahead.

11. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    For mens at least, hard when your coach and captain are in Belgium with the national team

12. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

This is interesting to be fair. Some reasonable ideas that I think would work with some tweaking.

I'm not a massive fan of the idea of getting an extra 1 v 1 after a field goal. I understand the idea of it being like a conversion in rugby, but the difference is that in rugby the scoring is weighted towards the try. It would probably work if a field goal was worth 2 or 3, and the conversion 1, but that's a level of complication that's only going to turn viewers off the sport.

I do like the idea of removing the PC in mixed hockey and would actually like to see this extended across all the formats in this trial. If anything it's more familiar to spectators (the idea that a penalty in the "penalty area" leads to some form of 1 v 1 as in football) and is probably more intuitive than the mess that I imagine a PC looks like to the non hockey playing viewers. Additionally I think that a drag flick is something that's hard to comprehend as massively skillful as a casual onlooker, while we've seen some absolutely beautiful skill in penalty shuttles at the end of games. I personally think it would create more out and out "you can't miss seeing this" highlights. Definitely not a bad thing to have 8 second snippets of outrageous skill that even the most foreign to the sport can appreciate as incredibly impressive. If we make the 1 v 1 a focal point of the game it's going to be an area we see big innovation in too.

I like the idea of two players needing to stay in the attacking half. Less players leads to more space leads to more spectacular goals. Also likely to lead to some lovely counter attacking hockey. Probably a bit difficult to understand immediately for an outside viewer, but no more so than most of the other rules of hockey. Not sure on having to designate players with armbands - maybe simply stipulating two over half way would be easier, though I guess that would lead to confusion and a lot of penalties from too many defending the ball.

The power play in this is a bit naff. I personally really dislike goals not being of equal worth. I know in the HIL it was meant to encourage exciting play rather than corners, but it's not for me. But the idea of being able to remove a player from the opposition, or for them to need to leave a third player beyond half way to create more space would be a nice way of doing this. Create more space, make scoring a little bit easier. It's a nice addition if done properly, though I will admit probably not a rule that's like to work properly.

All in all I like the idea of anybody in hockey trying to innovate. I love the game the way it is, but I'm willing to embrace change if it increases the interest in our sport. Maybe these things aren't the answer, maybe our game is fine as is and we simply need to find a way to market it better, but it's worth taking the risk. The only thing with all these changes that I'm not a massive fan of is ones that changes the game across the levels. Any kid should be able to pick up a stick and play the same game as the guys on the telly. Things like quarters might be a small change between formats, but I'd like any changes made to be uniform for all levels. Obviously this doesn't apply here as it's a test event, but I do worry a little that we're going to see a different set of rules at international level to what the average Joe Soap plays in their club.

13. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

If the captain was injured for AHL and the coach was unavailable, I reckon they'd manage to replace them and send a team.

Can't find a team list for who just played Belgium, but I'm tipping the squad is pretty close to who was named for next month's world cup. Of the 9 NSW/ACT/QLD reps named as players/shadows for that, 7 of them played at nationals. Looks like most of the women's squad played too, including one of the victorians turning out for Taswegia. I don't think even HA is silly enough to schedule the national indoor champs at a time where the entire national team can't play.

Curious why so many states didn't turn up, especially at the higher levels. Just lack of interest/nominations, not enough decent players willing to cough up more than a grand for 4 days in Goulburn?

BlindGoalie613 likes this.
  14. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

I spoke to the WA coach about their lack of a mens team and he said it was just plain lack of interest. They did not get enough nominations to even have a trial. He thought one of the reasons was that the world cup teams had been chosen already so the nationals was looked at as a dead rubber. Says a lot about the players too, but who can begrudge them second thoughts when the cost is so high for 5 days away.

15. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Can confirm this for Vic as well. Tournament was viewed as a dead rubber selections wise.

I suspect most of the final one. Nobody wants to go to Goulbourn as the surrounding area is a fairly significant downgrade from Illawarra.

16. aussieump

FHF Moderator

17. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

I can't see any of these things making someone who has never watched hockey suddenly be interested in it.

The only thing I want to see is a change to the PC - they are getting ridiculously dangerous with drag flicking speeds, and all the mucking around putting protective gear on and off isn't a good look. I do like the change to a 4 on 2 from the 23 as an alternative.

My son played with some of these rules recently at junior state development squad training, and quite frankly as a spectator I had absolutely no idea what goals were worth what or how we ended up with a score of 31-8. The game itself was no more or less entertaining to watch than any other at that level.

18. Krebsy

I wonder if the intent is to affect those who are coming into the game without any knowledge of the status quo?
    Our perspective is all aligned to understanding what the current methods are and any judgement has to take into consideration the "change is bad, down with progress" instinct that everyone has to a greater or lesser extent.
    What will be interesting to learn is how people who have little or no knowledge of the game find this new setup.

19. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

I can't imagine people with little or no knowledge ever seeing it.

20. Krebsy

Then how would a sport's fan-base ever grow? You could be taken along by a partner, a friend, on a date? You may be a parent of a keen player or the child of a keen player?
    The point is that those already into hockey will watch the sport, those not into it are worth experimenting on to see what will make them fans?

It is a fact that more people are not fans of hockey than are. Therefore trying new things to see if we can convert some of the unbelievers is always worth while.