New rules to be trialled in Australia

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by VeteranKeeper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

With regards the PC; I think that needs changing the most, and to eliminate faffing around with protective gear. I'd change it to you can do what you like (hit, flick, push, drag) but the ball must hit the backboard to score. In return I would have one fewer defender on the line.

If a goalie is taken off then they shouldn't be replaced with a player with keeper privileges, just an outfield player.

2. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Underlying all this is, as usual nowadays, the tension between the participant sport and the entertainment product.

The full-blown entertainment product is funded by TV rights and an armchair fan base.
    The participant sport is funded by subs, match fees, and people’s time freely given.

From one to the other needs passing through the ‘spectator sport’ phase. To get through it needs an awful lot more free time, and ‘fans’ willing to fill the sidelines on a wet Saturday. That’s tough.

3. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

At the risk of taking this off topic, @Diligent raises a good point re. wet Saturdays.
    In the UK at least (admittedly Aussie is different, although having spent a few winters in WA, people's approach to "bad" weather is a) relative and b) basically the same. Just the definition of bad changes from place to place), the first good weekend of spring/summer is usually the last weekend of league hockey and the first bad weekend of the autumn is usually the first weekend of league hockey. This is clearly silly.
    Back in the days of grass pitches needing a summer to re-grow, fair enough, but it is no exactly a recent change to astro turf, we need to be looking in earnest at playing outdoor hockey leagues in the summer when the weather is conducive to being outside and indoor hockey in the winter. That way people may possibly enjoy themselves?

Craggsy and Lostaam like this.
  4. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Except a lot of the U.K. pitch stock belongs to schools many of which convert them to summer sports such as tennis. We can’t play at home in the summer.

5. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

I agree with the sentiment of summer hockey, but the vast majority of my team are playing cricket in summer.
    However, could leagues be organised so there are local leagues playing midweek on pitches which ARE available? Must admit I do enjoy the summer 7's and that takes away the pain of not having a full game that week.

6. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

That would be fine for you guys in the UK maybe, but this week it was 38 degrees here, for most not the time for running around in the sun. We do start playing in the evenings this week though, only us older folk though (vets).

7. Krebsy

That's fair, but we can play at the same time. You southern types play in the winter if you want, we will enjoy what passes for a summer at the same time. My memory is a UK summer and WA winter are rather comparable.

8. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I was by a friend told it snows in Aus is/was this person lying to me? whats the Australian punishment for lying? cutting out the tongue, losing a finger, left in the outback for 5 days?

#28 BossFHockey, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Krebsy likes this.
  9. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

It snows sometimes in some bits of australia. Perth isn't one of them. Doubt anywhere in WA is.

Sent to fight drop bears for a week.

10. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

NO! Summer is for cricket!

11. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    I will force him into a medium sized shipping crate and send him across for AUSSIE RULES JUSTICE!!!!

on a more serious (because lying is serious business) Im for a longer mid-season/winter break in the UK, I have said for a while that having December and January being for indoor only then more people would play indoor, there would be less rearranged games, better indoor competition, UK teams would be playing up until the finals weekend in the EHL, I think that the 3-4 week break hurt Wimbledon last year against teams who were finishing their season the weekend before.

12. Krebsy

Deportation to the UK?

BossFHockey likes this.
  13. Krebsy

Sorry, Transportation to the UK.

Low lie the fields of Bendigo...

14. Krebsy

You can do both. Cricket isn't exactly strenuous.

Maybe have a hockey match during tea on the 3rd day?

Gingerbread likes this.
  15. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    I like the historical twist

Krebsy likes this.
  16. Krebsy

The tables have turned somewhat. But the number of Aussie youngsters who leave to come to the UK suggests to me that the education system still has some way to go.

17. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

They're called the "Snowy Mountains" because...??!!

18. BossFHockey

Stick/s:
    irony?

Krebsy likes this.
  19. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

It should be, Winter in WA is when it rains all the time but the temps are still at least 20C most of the time.

20. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

45C in my workshop on Thursday at 14:00. Not looking forward to playing Masters in a month, training even sooner. when will the FIH just get on and let us play the game instead of continually changing things all the time? You may gather 'Not a Fan" is my response.