New rules to be trialled in Australia

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by VeteranKeeper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Howard said
    They're called the "Snowy Mountains" because...??!!

All of the folks who live in the Australian Alps (Snowy Mountains) are fair skinned and fair haired, as a consequence "Snow" or "Snowy" is a reasonably universal nick name for them (similar to "Old Mate" or "Old Girl" for coastal dwellers) Hence the Australian Alps are now named the Snowy Mountains and as the rest of Australia during summer are bloody hot!!!!!!

2. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

So to work out why it's the Blue Mountains, we can assume that when they were named, all of australia's rangas lived in Katoomba?

scmods likes this.
  3. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Useless trivia told to me... More snow falls in Australia than Switzerland

It may be true, I haven't confirmed it one way or the other

4. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

I would change that a bit so it runs like the Challenge in Hockey5s. The other players line up at the center-line, the umpire begins the 1-on-1 with a whistle...and that releases all the players (the GK, the initial attacker, and the folks up at the center-line). That would tend to give the initial attacker one shot but, no timelimit.

VeteranKeeper likes this.
  5. Jarrod24

Jarrod24 FHF Newbie

I really hope they don't bring them in for the season :(

6. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Will not be brought in for this season, it is about gathering some data to then be discussed by committee

7. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

If I've got my sums right, 6.15pm in Melbourne is 7.15am UTC.

8. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Right, current plan is to go, get really really drunk with a few friends and heckle the shit out of every player I know participating in this farce.

9. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Some info from HV CEO Andrew Skillern

I have been fortunate to have played hockey my whole life. The fast, inclusive and dynamic sport on pitch.

For close to nine years I have been involved in administrating the game in Victoria and in two days time I hope the game that I love takes a big, bold step forward with the courage to become something that future generations will be inspired to play, watch and be entertained by.

Two modern day Victorian Hockey rivals Camberwell Hockey Club & Doncaster Hockey Club will Test a new ‘on field’ hockey product which is aimed at re energising the game for its current fans and members but more importantly offers something to the rest of the community with its new innovative and entertaining approach.

As leader of Victorian hockey I will lead a strong voice for change and taking a leap of faith. As leaders in sport we cannot sit still and expect that the future generations will enjoy what we all grew up with.

So to any of the traditionalists our there, sceptics, knockers or doubters. This new approach to sport, this thing called sports entertainment is here to stay so please jump on the train because come Friday night it's leaving the station.

Check out the action live via Hockey Victoria’s Facebook page from 6.15pm.

Just posting for interest of others

10. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

Well, I've just watched a quarter and have to say I've got no idea how it works. One team scored from a 1-on-1 (apparently in leiu of a PC) and got one point. Later in the quarter they scored again on a 1-on-1 (again instead of a PC for some reason) but this one was worth 2 points.

Meanwhile the other team scored a field goal even though I was sure the umpire had blown a FHD (she certainly signalled and if she didn't blow it she should have as a free was played directly into the D). They got 2 points for that one, but the restart happened with a 16. Later in the quarter they scored again from open play, and again got two points, but this time they also got to then take a 1-on-1 which they scored for another two points.

Hopefully I'll never find myself in the position of explaining any of this to the millions of new fans this will apparently attract.

Nij and The chief like this.
  11. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    From what I've heard the crowd was shit and the hockey confusing as hell. Hopefully Hockey Australia see that as reason not to ever do this again.

12. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Sounds like somebody was watching NFL and thought it would be cool if AFL played the same way, then remembered hockey isn't a football code and had to make it up as they went.

scmods likes this.
  13. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Personally, I’ll not jump at this, nor any of the growing number of such trains on offer. While admittedly a traditionalist, I’m not trying to be a skeptic, knocker or doubter. It’s just that I’m a participant: I prefer doing it to watching it. Entertainment product? I’m not a fan.

The skeptical, knocking, doubting view is that many, even most, participants might also not be fans.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  14. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

A food product that isn't edible isn't actually food.
    A medicinal product that isn't medical isn't actually medicine.
    An entertainment product that isn't entertaining...

Diligent likes this.
  15. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Unless you are a homeopath.

16. Krebsy

As with all things, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting.
    Despite being in favour of the concept, I wonder if it has become clear that as a suite, the changes were not successful, but in doing this, there may have been some individual elements which have been a success and could be brought to bear individually?

The idea of trying to make the game entertaining is a good one and I would be prepared to argue with anyone who suggested that hockey as it stands is a top spectator sport. We have discussed at length on this forum some of the fundamental aspects of hockey which make it a challenge to spectate, especially on screens. But attempts to try new things should be lauded as long as the proprietors are able to realise when things are not working.

The rhetoric of "trains leaving stations" and all that trite, vapid marketing nonsense doesn't go very far to dispel the notion that those people haven't got a keenly honed and individually talented view of how to do things. It is the same old "positive at all costs" marketing bullshit that has infected the globe and is a bigger threat to societal order than any nutter president of whichever nuclear arsenal you happen to align yourself with.

The game of hockey exists for its own ends. Yes if we can make money out of it, we should. But the notion that we play to allow proprietors to make money is utter nonsense and we should be careful not to be swept along with that idiotic and dangerous notion. We cannot have the game we play ruined so others can profit from it. It's not about profit, it's about participation, playing the game and enjoying it.
    "But that's the world we live in today"
    NO IT IS NOT.

The chief and Ravennghorde like this.
  17. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Spoiler alert: it's been absolutely laughed at in Vic Prem circles. They all hated it. Skillern is barking waaaaay up the wrong tree.

18. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

We need to change something in hockey to make us more popular, more attractive to spectators/tv viewers.
    This is a change.
    Therefore, we need to do this.

Straight out of Yes, Minister. But sounds like the train's going to be making a quick u-turn.

Krebsy likes this.
  19. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Is there any video available so we can actually see what it was like?

20. Krebsy

Dilbert management logic?